PDA

View Full Version : Why Would I Home-School a Teen Newspaper Article

mommykicksbutt
07-27-2011, 02:26 AM
I was sent this link by a hs friendly friend. For those of you on the fence about homeschooling through high school read the article. It is a short, positive article on the teen's advantages of being homeschooled in their teen years.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705388010/Why-would-I-home-school-a-teen-4-reasons-to-think-about.html

Just thought I'd pass it along.

Shoe
07-27-2011, 09:54 AM
I was sent this link by a hs friendly friend. For those of you on the fence about homeschooling through high school read the article. It is a short, positive article on the teen's advantages of being homeschooled in their teen years.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705388010/Why-would-I-home-school-a-teen-4-reasons-to-think-about.html

Just thought I'd pass it along.Thanks for that. It's always nice to have a reminder as to why I should do this!

Becca
07-27-2011, 06:34 PM
I loved that article.
It really sounds like my own teens, they work mostly independent. I do have some 'fixed' daily assignments, after those tasks are finished they are allowed to work on whatever they like. This could be reading, writing reports, helping their younger siblings, work in the kennels or stables with their grandfather, vacuum cleaning (Zach loves vacuum cleaning, he says it helps him clear his mind)

Deon wants to be a math teacher, musician or a doctor, for this year we scheduled some extra math and biology and he still has enough time to work on his music skills.

Jake want's to be a veterinarian, musician or a professional skateboarder, some extra biology, working with his grandfather, playing music with his brother... But no extra skateboarding for a few weeks, his last trick didn't go very well and he broke his wrist yesterday (and two days ago, Rue tried to clim a tree when the branch broke, Rue fell down and broke his leg. They are starting too greet us with our first name now when we enter the emergency room, that's a bad thing right? :confused: )

Jemma is very creative, she loves to create things (paintings, sculptures, stories and other creative things) she either want's to be an artist or a veterinarian , some extra biology and the opportunity to be as creative as she can be is what we have planned for this year.

I think it's funny both Jake and Jemma want to become veterinarians, I'm curious if this is one of those 'twin things' or just because we have a lot of animals.

Stella M
07-27-2011, 07:23 PM
I really liked what the author said about homeschooled teens not getting as burnt out as their peers at school. That wasn't an advantage I'd given much thought to, but it makes sense. I'm paid to tutor a 17yr old - not to improve his marks, which are fine, but to help him regain a love of English and literature lost through years of assignments and exams and homework and an absolute focus on university entrance exams - I'm pretty sure dd13 won't be in the same boat at that age and I'm glad.

Becca, isn't it wonderful how the teens start to find their path and we can give them the time and opportunities to follow it!

Kylie
07-27-2011, 07:45 PM
Thanks for sharing. We are a fair way off high school yet but those benefits certainly are appealing. I love the thought of having my kids forge their own with their education during the teen years and beyond. To truly focus on the things try want and not just because they told they have to do them.

lilypoo
07-28-2011, 05:10 AM
Thanks for sharing!

alexdk
08-01-2011, 11:43 AM
great article!

Kell
08-01-2011, 12:56 PM
I may cite this article the next time I get the "when are you really putting them in school?" question.