PDA

View Full Version : If not "secular", then what??

Topsy
07-23-2011, 01:53 PM
One of the things we are trying to do to help SecularHomeschool.com grow is to help people find us when they are Googling for non-religious homeschooling options. But it has been a while since I have needed to find a place like this one, and I wonder what people ARE Googling to find us.

Other that "secular homeschool" or "secular homeschooling", what words might you/did you insert into search engines when you are/were trying to find non-faith-based homeschooling info???

Thanks for your input on this, everyone!

farrarwilliams
07-23-2011, 03:02 PM
"Inclusive" is sometimes code for homeschool communities that are secular-friendly. I'm thinking you might also want this forum to turn up on a search if you put words like "pagan" or "atheist" with homeschool.

Greenmother
07-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Interfaith would also be a good one, agnostic as well. Open minded, I think I found this site while looking for Evolution AND Homeschool and I think I was using http://DuckDuckgo.Com as a search engine.

laundrycrisis
07-23-2011, 04:27 PM
some words that come to mind that I have used before:
non-religious
mainstream
evolution
atheist
agnostic
inclusive

Amy Wirth
07-23-2011, 07:30 PM
Non-christian is what I used. Normally I don't think of myself as secular, but I knew that many homeschoolers are Christian and I was specifically looking for resources that weren't.

mommykicksbutt
07-24-2011, 06:44 AM
I don't remember what search "tags" I used but I think "secular" (duh) is what I used to find this site. However, I remember using the following tags (which obviously came up with very little to nothing for secular homeschooling):

atheist
pagan
agnostic
inclusive
all-inclusive
liberal
non-religious
non-christian
non-faith
non-conservative
non-evangelical
non-bible-based
non-scripture-based
non-christ-based
anti-religious

Topsy
07-24-2011, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the terrific feedback, folks!! It will be invaluable as we try to build more search-engine traffic for SHS!!

Kylie
07-24-2011, 09:07 AM
What about free thinkers I think I have stumbled onto stuff with that one before

Ariadne
07-24-2011, 10:55 PM
What about free thinkers I think I have stumbled onto stuff with that one beforeYes, and it's often spelled as one word as well.

MissyinSLC
07-25-2011, 12:25 AM
I like "humanist" and "freethought" or "freethinking".

Pastafarian? :)

acountrymomma
07-25-2011, 12:15 PM
I think when I searched I may have used Secular homeschooling forum... But I was also looking for secular science curriculum reviews at the same time, so that may have brought me here as well.

Yep I just googled it. The terms I used were: Secular homeschooling curriculum
secularhomeschool.com shows up first under the pink ad box (there are 3 ads).

When I search for: Secular homeschooling science curriculum
secularhomeschool.com shows up 4th under the ad box (there is one ad)

When I search for: secular homeschooling forum
Secularhomeschool.com is very first, there are no ads above it.

lakshmi
07-25-2011, 02:06 PM
i googled moving beyond the page, and got a post by queen bee. totally random, and lucky find.

Becca
07-29-2011, 12:09 PM
I think when I searched I may have used Secular homeschooling forum... But I was also looking for secular science curriculum reviews at the same time, so that may have brought me here as well.

Yep I just googled it. The terms I used were: Secular homeschooling curriculum
secularhomeschool.com shows up first under the pink ad box (there are 3 ads).

When I search for: Secular homeschooling science curriculum
secularhomeschool.com shows up 4th under the ad box (there is one ad)

When I search for: secular homeschooling forum
Secularhomeschool.com is very first, there are no ads above it.

Same for me here, I just Googled 'Secular Homeschool Curriculum'

We are (sort of) Christian family, but I really didn't like the Christian options available.
I'm so happy I was able too look at samples of some of the books, I liked the 'easy' kits and sets from AOP, BJU, ACE etc. when I first started too look for a curriculum.
But after tooking a closer look I really didn't like what I found. All 'brainwashing' material (Love Jesus, fear God, obey the church, follow the Bible to the letter etc.) and scripture.
No thank you, we left our old community because of these fundamentalist believes, and I wasn't planning on continuing that way of life.

After looking around we decided to go with and eclectic approach and use different materials we believe will fit our needs.
But it's not easy, since not everything is as secular as it seems, I really liked the idea of LLATL, until I looked at a few of the pages and read the table of contents of these books.
I'm happy I didn't buy it.

And that's why I'm happy I found this forum, I looked at other message boards but most of them were very religious and sometimes even fundamentalist. I think we would have had some negative comments on our choice to leave our old community and the church.
Nothing like that here :D
I was a little worried we would get some negative reactions on the amount of children we have (no birth control available + very fertile = one BIG happy family)
But only positive comments :smile:

Brittaya
08-14-2011, 03:35 PM
I don't remember how I found the site, but I was definitely looking for pagan/wiccan homeschooling info.

jazz
08-14-2011, 05:08 PM
I've looked for evolution and homeschooling, atheist, pagan, and secular as well. Homeschooling and "home schooling" as 1 word or as 2 as well.

crunchynerd
09-12-2011, 11:05 PM
Here are some to throw in the ring:
humanist
humanism
science
freethinking

I think the term Interfaith implies that it is a religious group, that merely includes different denominations, but that religion is definitely a part of it. But, since this is about those homeschooling for reasons other than religion, rather than a group without religion, interfaith might be a good term to use. Fundamentalists with serious objections to open mention of science, would probably figure out quickly that they don't like it here.

Leigh
01-03-2012, 11:08 PM
I had put in secular homeschooling because I was looking for a magazine by that name I had seen a few years ago. But my first thoughts are:

alternative homeschooling
non religious homeschooling

CyndiLJ
01-29-2012, 01:02 AM
As a Christian who is not fundamental in my beliefs, I would highly recommend adding search terms that would trigger others like me to find you. We homeschool for non-religious reasons and I will NOT use Christian materials because the theology presented within most of it does not align with my own beliefs. Folks drawn to secular homeschooling may still be religious, but of a different persuasion that what we are all used to. Might I suggest (heartily) adding the following:

Progressive Christian Homeschooling
Moderate Christian Homeschooling
Liberal Christian Homeschooling
Spiritual Homeschooling
Non-Fundamental Homeschooling
GLBT Homeschooling
Religiously neutral homeschooling
Old Earth Homeschooling
Neutral Homeschooling
Non-Religious Homeschooling
Anti-Religious Homeschooling
Non-Faith Based Homeschooling
Open minded homeschooling

And you might even put in denomination listings such as

United Church of Christ Homeschooling
Unitarian Universalist Homeschooling
Presbyterian Homeschooling
Methodist Homeschooling
Episcopal Homeschooling

These are denominations who are liberal or who would be more likely to have moderate or more liberal leaning homeschoolers. I also know that many Catholic homeschoolers are looking at secular curriculum for certain subjects.

Just a few ideas!

Cindy

Topsy
01-29-2012, 08:17 AM
As a Christian who is not fundamental in my beliefs, I would highly recommend adding search terms that would trigger others like me to find you. We homeschool for non-religious reasons and I will NOT use Christian materials because the theology presented within most of it does not align with my own beliefs. Folks drawn to secular homeschooling may still be religious, but of a different persuasion that what we are all used to. Might I suggest (heartily) adding the following:

Progressive Christian Homeschooling
Moderate Christian Homeschooling
Liberal Christian Homeschooling
Spiritual Homeschooling
Non-Fundamental Homeschooling
GLBT Homeschooling
Religiously neutral homeschooling
Old Earth Homeschooling
Neutral Homeschooling
Non-Religious Homeschooling
Anti-Religious Homeschooling
Non-Faith Based Homeschooling
Open minded homeschooling

And you might even put in denomination listings such as

United Church of Christ Homeschooling
Unitarian Universalist Homeschooling
Presbyterian Homeschooling
Methodist Homeschooling
Episcopal Homeschooling

These are denominations who are liberal or who would be more likely to have moderate or more liberal leaning homeschoolers. I also know that many Catholic homeschoolers are looking at secular curriculum for certain subjects.

Just a few ideas!

Cindy

Incredibly helpful, Cindy...thanks for taking the time to share!! :)

Resaj
01-29-2012, 04:25 PM
You know, she's right. We Episcopal folk feel right at home here. :)

WallFlower
01-29-2012, 11:20 PM
Hmmm... I'm not sure I can add to the list of terms. But there may be some other things to add to the site that secular homeschoolers may be searching for. Moving beyond the page was a good example. So secular curriculum choices, as well as other reasons besides religion that cause people to consider homeschooling (homeschooling gifted kids, homeschooling special needs, homeschooling atheletes, unschooling).