PDA

View Full Version : What does your typical day look like?

Mum
07-22-2011, 12:01 PM
Do you have a daily routine? What does it generally look like? I'm trying to create a little more structure...

CCMom
07-22-2011, 01:31 PM
LOL we have no structure. We are very eclectic, relaxed homeschoolers and really only sit down and "do" school for a few hours a week. So on days we are home typically we'll get up, eat breakfast and the kids play for a couple hours. Then eat something and my daughter and I will sit down together and do our reading. Then she'll do her math and copy work. If we're out and about for a good portion of the day we might try to do either reading or written work or just skip it altogether. My daughter really needs active play time for a while before she can settle down and focus on schoolwork. School time goes much more smoothly if I allow that free time first.

Journey of Life mama
07-22-2011, 02:09 PM
I think the day depends on the kids--I have an 11 year old, well, she'll be 11 in a week and will be entering 6th grade--if you need to put a grade level on it. Our day is becoming more "structured" as she gets older--but ALSO more self-directed and independent. I also have a 3 year old--and we will begin to do some "structured" time with him--but mostly unstructured discovery and learning at his age. She is discovering and learning all the time, but I suppose the "structure" aspect is that the curriculum we are going to use gives some specifics with a lot of room for creativity and sparking of other studies or ideas. We are using Moving Beyond the Page and she LOVES it. We also put in time for Spanish (rosetta stone), music (mandolin, guitar and fiddle) she does a JAM program through the arts council and would play music all day--no coaxing needed in that area! math--we do Life of Fred pre-algebra with biology and Math Mammoth--this year we plan to do Khan Academy once or twice a week at least, various crafty art projects as well as chemistry experiments and any science experiments, plus spelling and geography, history. She usually gets up by 7am and starts work by 8am or so. She can be done with most things by 1 or 2 everyday and that includes taking breaks etc.. We try to have the "core" things done because we have 2 days that we go into town for art, music, tae kwon do and pe. I know it sounds like a lot, but really I feel like it isn't that much and sometimes feel like we don't do enough! But it really is not the quantity of what you accomplish, it is the quality and what the child absorbed and really took to. If she gets way into some experiment or art project--GREAT we will go with the flow--we are pretty relaxed but try to stick to some structure and time frame. We really want our kids to know that learning is all the time--and it is fun--it is how we survive in life. It sparks our imagination and creativity and is so much better that clicking on the tv--don't get me wrong, we DEFINITELY have our veg-out time too! If you want a time schedule, this is mostly what ours looks like:
7--8am wake up, chores, eat etc..
8-9 or 9:30 math
9/9:30-12:00 MBtP--which includes, for us, science, language arts, history, social studies, spelling and vocab
12:00- 1:00 eat! and other things
1:00- ?? Everything else--music, art, hikes, cooking, science experiments, she is pretty much free to do whatever--we don't turn the tv on during the day-unless it is for school--and we don't really have tv--just netflix.
on Tuesdays she goes to town for p.e. (a homeschool pe class through the university), art class (drawing club)--the kids meet with local ASU students and draw or make art, and tae kwon do.
on Thursday she has pe again and music--fiddle, mandolin. In the winter, the university does a writing club for kids--again, local university students take on 1or2 kids each and they write stories, poems and just a mix of creative things.
Again, she is 11, if I were dealing with two young ones--say 3 and 6, it would be less structured for us. I think everyone is different and finds what works for them and believe me, what works for us now--is totally different than what will work for us later or what worked for us before! What a journey and learning experience it is! Hope this helps, or gives you some ideas!

Journey of Life mama
07-22-2011, 02:13 PM
oh, and she came up with that schedule on her own! She actually wants to get up at 6 or even 5:30--and she does sometimes! But that is also mom's time in the am! I'll still help her at the point, but I do better if I have some time to myself during the day! lol--i don't get too much of that with a 3 year old!

coloradoalice
07-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Monday thru Thursday we have a relaxing morning, usually sit down to do some stuff by 10am, finish up around lunch time and then spend the rest of the afternoon finishing up something from the morning, doing errands, house work, parks, museums, etc...... Afternoons vary every day.

Friday during the traditional school year my kids will be at a home school enrichment program all day. For now we just chill on Fridays.

Stella M
07-22-2011, 06:49 PM
We are pretty schooly in the mornings - I work with the girls on their maths and get them started on their LA between 9ish - 10.30ish. Ds amuses himself and watches a school show 10.00. Once the girls are on their independent work, I work with ds - maths, phonics, reading, handwriting, book/narration, projects. He's done by 12.00, so is dd12. Dd 13 finishes closer to 12.30 - she alsodoes Ancient and Modern History, science, art, music and Latin ( not all on the same day) Lunch. Readalouds after lunch. Every second Thursday is a history class in the pm for dd13. Every three weeks we have book club on a Friday afternoon. And every second Tuesday we have little kids co-op 11-2.

The girls babysit 2 or 3 afternoons a week, look after their guinea pigs, read, blog, cook etc.

We try to walk everyday but we haven't been lately due to awful weather.

Ds has Fridays off; he will often have playdates on that day.

Stella M
07-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Oh, I just saw you said daily routine not school routine. Well, just add in chores before school and chores after dinner! Ds goes to bed around 7.30 for stories/radio/tv - lights off around 8.30. Girls go to bed 9.30ish.

dbmamaz
07-23-2011, 12:53 PM
I did a blog post about that a few mo ago. It's different now, but that's cuz things change. It's not that different.

http://dbmamaz.wordpress.com/2011/01/30/a-day-in-the-life/#entry

Mum
07-24-2011, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the responses. My homeschooler really needs a dependable routine. My toddler makes this a tricky thing to provide.

Angel
07-25-2011, 12:18 AM
I did a post on providing structure to your homeschooling routine: http://parent-sharing.com/home-school/structure-a-better-home-schooling-experience

Personally, because I work and leave before my son wakes up, the only structure I provide is a list of things he should do before I get back home.

Before he was officially a teenager, I would leave this list with the babysitter who provided more of the structure. They ate breakfast together (she has 4 kids) and then all sat down to do their schoolwork together. They are all different ages, but she would have some kind of activity for all of them to do so they didn't bug each other and got their work done. She had an 18-month-old that she gave coloring pages to or puzzles or some kind of toy she could work with her hands. She also occupied her 3-year-old and 5-year-old similarly so my son could get his work done. Her oldest son (who was 10 at the time) was able to do a lot of his work alone, but she would sometimes have him and my son work together on reading. We planned ahead on these things.

Sometimes she needed to put the children in separate rooms or areas to get this done, but somehow it all got done.

So maybe you can find "work" of some kind for your toddler to keep him or her busy while working with your homeschooled child. With some lessons, it may be possible to have both of them working on it (art or science kinds of things). Plus, kids are never too young to homeschool. You didn't specify age difference, so I'm just throwing out ideas. :)

Along those same lines, maybe you can have more "field trips". Going to museums, gardens, the park or just outside to study bugs or rocks or something might be fun for both (depending on the outing I guess).

Another idea is to have them both within range (at the same table or in the same room) so that if you need to have them doing different projects at least you can go back and forth more easily.

Or wait until the toddler takes a nap and do most of your schoolwork then. Maybe instead of trying to do 4 hours a day for 5 days a week, you could do 2-3 hours a day for all 7 days (using your toddler's naptime as your teaching time).

Hope this helps.

Mack's Mom
07-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Here's our "schedule". I only HS one and she's 14, so it's quite a bit easier, but takes longer since she's in high school (about 5 hours per day).

M, W, F - up at 8am, eat breakfast and go to the gym for "PE", then come home and do all her work. I have a planner laid out for all her subjects daily and she's pretty independent. It usually takes her up to 3pm to complete her assignments. After that is free time/chores.

T - same schedule, minus the gym

TH - up at 8am, eat breakfast and volunteer at our local food pantry until noon. After lunch she does her work and that pretty much takes her until dinner time.

After dinner we may watch a movie or go to a baseball game (we have season tickets to our local AAA team). Lights out for her around 10-ish.

Theresa Holland Ryder
07-25-2011, 03:07 PM
We get up in the morning and stumble around and eat breakfast, get dressed etc. After everyone is done with all that, I ask the girl to pick a subject and prod the boy towards his online classes. We do whatever subject the girl (now 13) wants to do first and then I suggest the next subject. We usually take 15-20 minute breaks between subjects. I have a dead minimum that must be done. We will work until the heat death of the universe until that minimum is done. On better days (which is really most of the time) we do the minimum and a bunch of other stuff. On really good days, we do the minimum, a bunch of other stuff and some fun extras. If we've moved past the minimum requirements, we are done at 4 pm when the Public School friends are off. If the minimum isn't done by 4 pm-- see heat death of universe.

When my son was kindie/first grade age and my daughter was a toddler, I simply included her in his lessons as much as I could or got her doing something fun in the same room with us. At that age we worked in 15 minute bursts with lots of breaks, so it wasn't a big deal to include her. When things got over her head, she'd go play and the short session time made it easy for me to keep an eye on her when my son's lessons were something she couldn't yet grasp.

TamaraNC
07-25-2011, 06:30 PM
DD asked me for a schedule that copied her old school, which she liked, so these days we start at about 8am Morning Math, Reading Circle, Big Bucks (which is a reward system with math skills built-in for enthusiastic scholarship and good behavior), and Other Work (grammar, spelling, Spanish, etc.). We usually finish by noon. After lunch, we'll muck around, try to get some laundry done or run errands. After we pick up DS from school at 230pm, we've been going to the pool or library, and then home to muck around some more before dinner. The bedtime at 8pm.

hreneeh
07-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Okay we haven't officially started but this is where I see our day going:

6am - wake-up and breakfast
7:30 - chores
9:00 - Math
10:00 - Reading of his choice
10:30 - 2pm free time, play go out whatever
2-4 MBTP which will be everything but Math (we have to do it during this time because that is when my 2.5 yr old takes her nap and she would make the projects he needs to do almost impossible when she is awake)

Then we read outloud for at least a half hour before bedtime which is 8:30 pm.

Staysee34
07-29-2011, 05:28 PM
We haven't officially started yet but I've done a couple dry runs just to get an idea.
Generally, I would like to have everyone up by 8 and at the table ready to go by 9:30
Language Arts (memory work, grammar, penmanship, reading comprehension depending on the day)
Math or Spelling Supplement (depends on the day)
Read Aloud and Movement
Spelling and Math Core 1 on 1/ Independent Work
Lunch/Free or Quiet Time (depends on weather and everyone's mood)
Social Studies, Science, Health, Geography, History (depending on the day)

Basically, I haven't really assigned any times to anything. I've made a minimum that needs to be accomplished each day and when it's finished, we're finished. Naturally, my girls will also being doing lots of reading and such as well but this is the gist of what a typical day will hopefully look like.

StartingOver
07-29-2011, 06:12 PM
We don't have a schedule.

I drink coffee at whatever time I wake up, while the kids watch a cartoon if they are up. Then I make breakfast. After everyone's eyes are open and bellies full, we do our read alouds ( Elemental Science Biology, Story of the World, Sonlight ) and generally All About Spelling, First Language Lessons, Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reader, and anything written for science. Then it is usually lunch time, and a break. When we are done table work gets done like handwriting, math worksheets / workbook, and Writing With Ease. Then we have to break for Wild Kratts. ;-) To end the day we do any science experiments, art, music, hands on/ messy things. Then it is time to start dinner and clean up the house.

We take lots of mini breaks during the day.

mommalee93
07-29-2011, 09:57 PM
Well my oldest son craves a lot of structure in his day, and since I am type A I give it willingly. We only school m-th and friday is off, but we do other things...library, field trips, etc.
7:30- up, dress, breakfast
8:30 (or the second Daddy leaves) we start chores, once they finish we have free time until school
9:30 we start school
12 or so we finish up the lessons and have lunch
1 pm baby goes for his nap, we sit down to read
2:30 or whenever we finish until dinner is free time
6pm dinner
9&9:30 are the respective bedtimes...although I think the 5 year old is going to be going to bed sooner

We also struggle because of the toddler, last year he was really good and would sit in his crib and play. However without his binky and being more active this year is going to be interesting to say the least! My oldest son is also on medication for attention problems (either ADD or ADHD) and that is only a 4 hour medication so we try to crunch as much work as we can into the window we have because I don't want him medicated all day.

JinxieFox
07-30-2011, 04:34 AM
Let's see... Get up, check email, blogs, forums, and such, eat breakfast, then let the caique out of his cage and clean it, and clean the house. We usually start our homeschooling in the morning. We have 7 "subjects" a day, 4 days a week, and 4 "subjects" on Fridays. So we sit and work until all of the expected tasks are completed (I love history, because it's snuggle time).

We pretty much spend the rest of the day running any errands and relaxing (well, I work on my writing, if you can call that relaxing). My son has Hapkido twice a week after dinnertime. Bedtime is 9:30 at the latest for my son, although my husband and I sometimes let my son stay up a bit later on the weekends if we are having family gaming time.

Hopefully my son's schedule won't change too much when he goes back to his dad in September! I try to keep in close contact with his nanny and dad, and we all try to make sure the routine is pretty much the same between the two houses.

ItoLina
07-30-2011, 08:27 PM
We are just starting kindergarted officially on Monday, so I am not too sure how it will go, but so far when I have done preschool things with him the schedule has completely revolved around little sister's schedule. If she is happy playing independently I run and get something to work on with my son. When she naps we do projects that involve messes that I don't want a toddler to be a part of. Generally I try to get things done in the morning and have time to play in the afternoon. I think I would like to be more structured about it as my 1 year old gets a little easier and more able to be involved in school things for short periods of time. Right now I think I will just have to go with the flow or spend my whole day fighting her. Luckily my son is pretty ok with the go with the flow schedule and doesn't seem to need things to be exactly the same every day.

elkhollow
08-02-2011, 07:59 AM
We don't follow the clock all day but we have a rhythm. I let the kids sleep as late as they need to. DD8 is usually up around 7 and DS5 usually sleeps until 8 or 8:30. We have a morning routine of getting ready for the day including chores. We do math, handwriting, phonics, language arts, history and writing in the morning. We take a break, eat lunch, then the afternoon is devoted to unstructured learning. Read alouds, science experiments, nature walks, library visits, online learning, etc...Then supper, family time, getting ready for bed and more reading aloud which begins around 7 and lasts about an hour. Both the kids are in bed around 8 and I'll let them read in bed for awhile if they aren't too tired. Fridays are light days. This is the day we go on field trips, wrap up a theme with a special event, meet friends at the park, etc...

HTH,

SabrinaT
09-04-2011, 08:21 PM
I am up between 5 and 5.30 getting my oldest (Christopher) out the door by 6.15. The little kids sleep until about 7. The baby girl (Piper) goes to the CDC here on base a few hours a day, Peyton (my 5 year old son) has to be at Kindergarten by 8. Once I get everyone where they need to be, I come home, suck down a liter or 2 of coffee, and begin again. Noah gets up about 7.30, has his breakfast, and by 8.30 we are both ready to work.

I have his work separated into 2. Work he can do on his own, and work that he and I do together. While he works on his self directed work (Math U See, writing, spelling, reviewing history...) I am writing, sewing something, or in the kitchen pretending to love cooking. We work fairly independently for about 3 hours, then he and I get together and I help where he needs it, check his work, and we talk about what he wants to do in the afternoon. I allow him to decide what he wants to learn to some degree. That is what he does from about 12.30-2. These days you will find him reading a dragon series or hanging out at the pre-teen center on base.
Friday we work together from about 9-11 going over spelling, looking things up on the internet, or whatever Noah wants to do.
This is our basic routine.

The afternoons are very hectic around here. With ROTC, sports, scouts, park days and field trips almost daily our day really "begins" about 2 in the afternoon.

Dinner is around 6 when Ian is home, if he is out then we seem to all eat later. (think frat house for pre-k) Piper is bathed and in bed between 6.30 and 7, Peyton around 8. Christopher, Noah and I have time to hang out, watch a movie, play games, or just plot the take over of the world.

I try and get to bed by 10... most days that just doesn't seem to happen.

Saturday and Sunday's mirror a toddler version of Rocky Horror around here. Having 4 kids so spread out in age there is never a dull moment here that is for sure...

I am always tweaking my routine, maybe someday I can find one where I sleep until noon...

Eileen
09-05-2011, 11:04 AM
We haven't started yet, so I'll let you know how it actually goes in a week or two. But this is pretty much what I have in mind:

-6am get up with dh, feed the cats while he walks the dog
-6:15-7:30 hopefully have quiet time while I drink my coffee, unless 5 yo dd wakes up early (in which case drink coffee while she watches Looney Tunes)
-7:30-8:30 get 5 yo dd up and dressed
-8:30-9am 8 yo dd and I walk 5 yo dd to kindergarten (hopefully at some point will hand that responsibility off to 8 yo dd alone because she asked me to)
-9:15 to 12 Math, writing, science, history
-12-1 Lunch, free reading time
-1-2:45 Chores and practical arts
2:45 pick up 5 yo dd from school

That will be Mon-Thu. On Fridays we have co-op from 10-2, so we won't really do anything else on those days. My co-op also does frequent field trips, so a couple days a month will be spent on that, and we'll take some on our own as well, but those are atypical days.

I'm not a very organized or driven person, so I would be more surprised than not if our days actually look anything like this.

speech mom
09-05-2011, 09:34 PM
We don't follow clocks for very much.
We wake up when we wake up. Usually around 8 for the boy (he likes to "sneak" in computer time before I wake up). The girls are usually up around 9. By 10:30, I stop caring about how loud everyone is so anyone not already up is usually up soon after that.
I encourage breakfast, but I don't like to eat first thing in the morning, so I can't really force it on the kids.
We have a list of subjects on the whiteboard. Last year it was around 15 and they had to do at least 10. On slow days or kind of sick days they had to do 5 things.
This year we will only have Language Arts, Science, History, Math, Handwriting, and Critical Thinking. We have talked about it and they decided that they will need to do something in each subject every day this year.
They also usually add Art to the board and decide whatever they want art to be for that day.
Everyone has chores they picked. Boy-garbage and dog, girl 1 laundry, girl 2 dishes. They have tried out other chores and keep going back to those.
We have dance classes most afternoons/evenings and scout meetings for each kid. We usually don't get dressed until we have to leave.

I am a very type A kind of person. The boy is on the spectrum and girl 1 has OCD behaviors. In the past, we had very rigid schedules and daily expectations. All the books and research seem to steer you to the fixed schedule for people like us. But having the loose schedule with everyone deciding what to do when and how much to do beyond the minimum, has resulted in us all getting so much more work done and being so much happier.

JennaD
09-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Since my girls are on the Autistic spectrum and have sleep problems, we are very relaxed in our schedule..The girls wake up when they are ready..they eat if they want and then they start off with a fun activity (to wake their brains up..lol) like art or I let them play on Neopets for an hour. After that, they pick what they want to learn and go from there.

leanderthal
11-14-2011, 04:36 PM
I have a third grader and a sixth grader-both love learning and are super motivated. They like structure, and they like working without interruption so they can get everything done and enjoy the afternoon! We start school (K12) around 7:30 am, usually with math. If one of them has a challenging lesson, I may give the other something they can do independently so I can help with the math fully. Then Language Arts-grammar for both, spelling for third grader/vocab for sixth, literature for both. Math y and language arts 5x a week. Third grader does science 2x a week, history 2x a week, art and music 2x a week. Sixth grader does science 3x a week, history 3x a week, art 2x a week, music 2x a week. We're usually done by noon and they can spend the rest of the day on their hobbies.

Gabriela
11-15-2011, 08:48 AM
Ds and dh wake at 6am. While dh makes breakfast for ds, ds makes coffee for me, and then wakes me up.
They eat while I organize my day (not a breakfast person).
Ds brushes teeth and tidies and sweeps his room from 7:30-8.
First round of classes - 8:00 to 10:00 English and Math
Second round - 10:30 to 12:30 Spanish, Phys Ed, Typing, Computer skills, other stuff
Lunch and break - 12:30 to 1
3 afternoons a week - 2:30 to 5pm Science and History
2 afternoons a week - 2:30 to 5pm community art project with other kids
5-6pm reading chapter book of his choice
7pm dinner
8:30 bedtime