PDA

View Full Version : The reality of it all

clancariens
07-20-2011, 10:01 AM
All my curriculum stuff has started to arrive and I've put it on a shelf and try not to look at it too much cause the planner in me has a stroke when I even get too close to it. Next week we are at the beach and then the reality of educating three kids for the first time will really set in. My NOI is filed. Giddy up.

Accidental Homeschooler
07-20-2011, 10:25 AM
I am always envious of people who plan first and then start hsing. We started hsing in crisis mode and then started planning. It is fun when the books start arriving though. I am expecting a nice batch from Amazon any day now. I am also looking forward to the Fall, though we have been doing some school stuff this summer (anything we do gets counted against that 180 day requirement). Enjoy the beach!

leezmom
07-20-2011, 12:49 PM
It's kinda scary when it's actually about to begin isn't it?! That's where I am too. Things are pretty much all here and I'm making final preps but otherwise just waiting for August 1st. Excitement is turning into anxiety for me and I think my son too. Thankfully, we have the rest of the folks here who have done it before and can remind us we will survive it and we aren't the only ones!

Pilgrim
07-20-2011, 01:28 PM
It's kinda scary when it's actually about to begin isn't it?! That's where I am too. Things are pretty much all here and I'm making final preps but otherwise just waiting for August 1st. Excitement is turning into anxiety for me and I think my son too. Thankfully, we have the rest of the folks here who have done it before and can remind us we will survive it and we aren't the only ones!

Same here. MBTP has arrived and is sorted and filed. The classroom is nearly organized. We have extras scoped out and a basic schedule, even a mission statement of sorts so we are all on the same page.

Then, reality will hit and throw us all off course. lol. We are still very much in summer mode, with camping, county fair, and loads of outdoor projects in full swing. I think we are looking to begin in Sept when PS begins around here, which gives us a bit more breathing room.

Good luck to all our fellow newbies. :)

MarkInMD
07-20-2011, 02:36 PM
I've said it to other newbies, so I'll say it again. You will find things that don't work as planned. You're all smart enough to roll with it, adjust, and move on. Allow the imperfections to be there, and everyone will be fine. It's okay not to be perfect (or it better be, because I sure ain't!). It's not only possible to do this, it's inevitable. Have fun!

bovinesituation
07-20-2011, 03:01 PM
I'm there too and this is our practice year with the 4 and 2.5 year old. I got Peak with Books and we got the books for the first lesson today at the library.

ksb427
07-29-2011, 08:42 AM
New as well and getting butterflies. My box of books should be arriving anytime, too. I've already organized some of our resources, but still feel unprepared. I'm also concerned because I will be working part-time outside the home. Hoping I can do both. Then there is the issue with my parents and begging them to get more help - in-house or assisted living facility. Mom has Parkinson and Dad just had back surgery and is being pretty stubborn. Not sleeping well...

Laina
07-29-2011, 09:38 AM
I have all of our curriculum materials, a weekly schedule, a plan for the year including themes/units, field trips, and other activities, but I haven't even sent in the official letter to the school district yet! It seems so final. I need reassurance--this is a good idea, right? Part of me wants to say forget it and send Lou to school!

ercswf
07-29-2011, 11:15 AM
Plans are great. But I have found that all my schedules are just coloring papers for my daughter. My boys work at their speed not mine and it is ver clear to me that they will NOT change that any time soon.

So long as you remember that you don't have to stick to those plans rigidly you'll be fine. About the time I said screw other peoples ideas of what my kids should or should not be doing I found I am much happier and so are my kids.

gidamom
07-29-2011, 11:36 AM
This will be our first year too...and I can't help but being anxious, nervous, axcited, hopeful..all rolled into one! This IS a good idea right??

I am so overwhelmed with the choices available, and truly have no clear direction of HOW I will be homeschooling my kids!! I am reading about all you being ready, and organized and planned and freak out even more!! I am nowhere NEAr that!! In fact, I don't even know WHERE or HOW to start!!

Help please...I am oficially FREAKING OUT!

Eileen
07-29-2011, 11:57 AM
This is our first year, but for some reason I don't usually feel stressed out about it. We're not buying a curriculum. I'm not planned down to the day. Most of the time, I'm totally fine with all of that. Then I read these threads with people who are 100 times more organized and prepared than I am, and they're freaking out, and I start to worry that I'm not nearly worried enough.

StartingOver
07-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Take a deep breath !!! Yes, you can all do this. Not everything will go as planned. You might even have to throw all the plans out the window, and adjust everything to suit your child / children. But it will be ok. They will learn in spite of it. Soon you will be much more comfortable, until then come and rant and rave to us. Bounce ideas and issues off of us, all of us have been in your shoes ( not literally ). We understand.

HUGS

Staysee34
07-29-2011, 12:54 PM
I've managed to order most of our curriculum and it's sitting at my feet as I type. What's left is patiently sitting in a couple of wishlists and will be ordered next week. Outside of a small list of subjects I would like to accomplish each day, I have no true plans. Well, at least, not on paper. I'm normally somewhat of a perfectionist but for some reason I'm telling myself not to sweat it. I've decided to stop planning. I know what we need to do and how we're going to do it. The rest I'll figure out on Sunday night before Monday morning gets here. That way at least the kids will think I know what the heck I'm doing!!

dragonfly
07-29-2011, 01:58 PM
I've homeschooled for ten years, and every single year has been different, even though we used the exact same curriculum provider. A schedule/plan/desk layout/organizer/etc. that worked perfectly one year simply didn't work the next. I've learned that you have to dive in for the first week or two, see what's working, what's not, and adjust your plan accordingly.

This fall will be the first year that I'm not using a boxed curriculum, but one I've pulled together from different sources, and it's both scary and exciting. I have no idea what my daily schedule will or should look like, and frankly, I'm not going to worry about it. The first week or two may be chaotic, but I know eventually it will work out and we'll settle into a routine that works. I look at it as a new adventure, and something that my son and I can share in, laugh about, and hopefully make work together.

5amigos
07-30-2011, 02:44 AM
it is just great to know that i'm not the only one with these exact emotions right now! we start monday (since our PS starts monday too and two of my five will be at ps) so we will start hs that day too. anyway, this morning i organized our materials and got out some of the school supplies (for everyone) and the kids were excited about it. i love the advice of just rolling with it and taking deep breaths and not expecting everything to go as planned...
it does feel very final though. i keep telling myself, "this is the right thing to do, right?!" i hope so.
good luck everyone!

jessica14
08-01-2011, 10:59 AM
I set the date as Aug. 21st to start! I'm also anxious, excited, wonder what I've gotten myself into,etc! I have all my curriculum but just yesterday filled out the whole application for both kids. They asked for the yearly goal and what will be covered in each of the quarters. Well, I don't know! Isn't that the idea of hsing? You go at an appropriate pace for the child. So, I did the best I could, somehow filling out eight separate sheets for each child. Yes, this made me feel overwhelmed,but it also gave me a guidline for the year.

For rght now, I feel like I'm going to do things like one of my ps classes. I hope in time, I can move away from that and be a bit more relaxed. Glad there are others in the same boat!

Rebookie
08-01-2011, 03:21 PM
This is my first year too! Congrats and good luck!

clancariens
08-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Wow! So many newbies here like me. We should start a group -- call it THE FRESHMAN CLASS.

I just scheduled yet ANOTHER trip. During the "school year". It's like I'm having this impulse to schedule travel just because I can and no one is telling me when I'm allowed to do it. But at the same time I'm feeling a bit guilty. We are starting August 24th, after we get back from a tae kwon do tournament, and by then I hope to have at least looked through the first few weeks of what all three kids will be learning. I figure that day we will sit down at table and talk through how we all see things working, both for the kids as individual students and as a family, and just jump in. I'm trying hard to see it all as an evolving process. What our homeschool looks like in September is more than likely not going to be how it looks in March. Good luck to everyone out there!

dbmamaz
08-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Freshman class of 2011 . . . just wait, you'll be the sophmores next year!