PDA

View Full Version : Trick for by-passing DVD previews

Snoopy
05-01-2010, 06:47 PM
I have meant to post this for a few days but I kept on forgetting...

I don't know where I read this recently, but I tried it and it works! If you still watch DVDs, there is a trick to by-passing all those pesky previews: after the DVD has started playing, use your remote and press STOP twice and then PLAY. On some players, it might be STOP 3 times and then PLAY. It works like a charm on mine and saves me aggravation when I try to fiddle with it to get straight to the movie!

HTH!

dbmamaz
05-01-2010, 07:45 PM
the next button works too, on the ones that wont let you hit menu

Snoopy
05-01-2010, 08:04 PM
Yeah, I'd been using NEXT too but I find this trick faster since there are usually more than 2 previews. I'm all about saving time, baby! Especially when it's Noah moaning about the number of previews and all I want to do is go back to my laptop, lol.

camaro
05-02-2010, 09:28 AM
For those who like to protect their valuable original discs, or perhaps for more convenience for discs watched often, you could make a movie-only rip. You could then burn that to a new disc without all the extras or watch the copy on a computer. One could also adapt the files to play on other devices.

HoodOrnament
05-02-2010, 01:01 PM
If you still watch DVDs......

Ohmy. Am I now so old and out of it that I didn't realize that something newer has come along?

I actually LIKE the previews before the DVD starts. That's when I take the dog out, go to the bathroom, get a drink,etc. By the time I get back it's usually MOVIE TIME!

Snoopy
05-02-2010, 06:00 PM
Ohmy. Am I now so old and out of it that I didn't realize that something newer has come along?

I actually LIKE the previews before the DVD starts. That's when I take the dog out, go to the bathroom, get a drink,etc. By the time I get back it's usually MOVIE TIME!
I guess that works for you, then, eh? lol. I don't have Tivo and DVR either, I still do videos as much as I can. I actually tape my shows on video tapes. My old video tape is about to give up on me and I heard that the last company to make them folded last year. uh-oh.

Shoe
05-02-2010, 06:50 PM
My old video tape is about to give up on me and I heard that the last company to make them folded last year. uh-oh.It was a sad day when VHS died...I've got my memorial T-shirt to remember it...VHS Memorial Shirt Never Forget (http://store.nakatomiinc.com/vhsmemorialshirtneverforget.aspx) :(

Snoopy
05-02-2010, 07:17 PM
It was a sad day when VHS died...I've got my memorial T-shirt to remember it...VHS Memorial Shirt Never Forget (http://store.nakatomiinc.com/vhsmemorialshirtneverforget.aspx) :(

Roflmao! Do you really have the shirt? Our librarian told me that the videotapes get checked out way more often than the DVDs... the DVDs are costing them so much because they get scratched and have to be replaced sooner, while the videotapes last longer despite the heavy use.

Riceball_Mommy
05-02-2010, 07:25 PM
I just tried the trick with a Rugrats dvd. That was awesome. I wonder if it will work on that Shrek dvd, with the one you can't hit next or menu you just have to fast forward.

Shoe
05-02-2010, 08:15 PM
Roflmao! Do you really have the shirt?Yep, I really do. :cool:

I love it and the clam shell case it came in. I still watch a lot of my VHS tapes, and there are some old and rather obscure films I have on VHS that aren't available yet on DVD.

Riceball_Mommy
05-02-2010, 11:45 PM
I showed that shirt to my husband he wants one now.

dbmamaz
05-03-2010, 09:39 AM
I suspect the reason the library lends out more vhs is because people who cling to old technology are cheap, and more likely to get movies from the library instead of netflix .. .

Snoopy
05-03-2010, 05:22 PM
I suspect the reason the library lends out more vhs is because people who cling to old technology are cheap, and more likely to get movies from the library instead of netflix .. .

We prefer to be called "frugal":p

dbmamaz
05-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Oh, yes, frugal! I use the library a lot, but our little library doesnt have a good selection of videos and it hadnt occurred to me to have them transferred from other branches like I do with books