PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the Chicago suburbs

mama2cd
05-01-2010, 10:26 AM
Hello everyone. I just joined this forum today and have seen so many threads I would like to comment on! I thought I'd start with a quick intro first.

I live in the Chicago suburbs and homeschool my 2 children. My daughter is 7 and my son is 2. Our schooling style is very relaxed. I am thinking of just becoming an unschooler. My daughter learns very easily and we both do better when I am not pushing her. We use Shiller Math as part of our curriculum, but otherwise I make it up as I go along.

I consider myself a secular humanist and have a very hard time finding homeschoolers who are not religious. I am a member of a secular homeschooling group IRL, but most of the members are still quiet religious. I would love to meet people like me, but get along pretty well with those who are religious. I just don't make it an issue.

I guess that's about it for now! I hope to be jumping into the forums soon!

Riceball_Mommy
05-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Welcome to the board : )

Snoopy
05-01-2010, 10:41 AM
Hey mama2cd, welcome to the group! I'm trying to relax my methods as well, and let Noah be more "interest-led" and "self-directed". We're taking baby steps with that. He did so much better when learning to read and now with math when I'm not constantly over his shoulder. Check out the IL group to see if there are more more group members near you!

Topsy
05-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Great to have you here, mama2cd!! Our family officially became "unschoolers" (my son prefers to call it free-form schooling!) this year, and it has been working out wonderfully so far. I don't think I would have been brave enough when my kids were as young as yours, though, so I give you sincere props for being open to the idea! I think you find lots of camaraderie and support from those who frequent this site, so I'm glad you found your way here.

Topsy

Shoe
05-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Welcome to the site. There are a lot of great conversations here.