PDA

View Full Version : Socialization in West Los Angeles?

Alveraz
07-14-2011, 05:42 PM
Hi everyone, This is our first year of HS. I have an 8 and 10 year old ds. Both are active in sports but we're looking for group activities or anything you can suggest where my kids can just hang out with other kids their age after school. I was thinking Drama or maybe some kind of scouts program, or maybe even a program kids just hang out and get to know each other?

I'm just not sure where to start. If there are any co-ops or other groups I should look into, please let me know. FWIW, I live near UCLA. Also, we're NOT looking for religious groups, which is important, we're not religious at all and would like to find others with more liberal, secular ideals.

Thanks!

Searcher_2010
08-10-2011, 08:33 AM
Hi Alveraz,

I used to live in LA and there are lots of groups and activities in the westside - do a search on Yahoo and Google groups (I did a quick search and here is one I found: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fyfm/). Try a few park days with the various groups to find which one is the best fit for you and your kids. Lego building groups that meet during the school week are also a great way to meet homeschoolers. Once you find a group you like, you can find out about more HS resources in the area.

One great program is Much Ado About Shakespeare - a process oriented class/group that the kids really love. It allows them to learn, socialize, and love Shakespeare. My son is a bookworm/engineering type and Much Ado helped him to relax and trust himself more. I know they had a group last year in Brentwood: http://www.muchadoaboutshakespeare.com/id3.html or if you are willing to go over the hill, they have classes in Camarillo, Simi, and east LA (La Crescenta).

FYI: we belonged to an inclusive group, FACE-LA, that was a mix of secular and religious and never had a issue with anyone pushing their agenda on us. It was a very big group so there were lots of opportunities to connect to families and here about their experiences. Also try the unschooling groups since they are usually (not always) secular.

Good Luck! Esther

Alveraz
08-12-2011, 12:57 AM
Esther, not only were your suggestions awesome, but my kids are now signed up for the Shakespeare class due to your recommendation. Thanks so much! You were right on time with some great advice and it made a big difference for us. Thanks. :)

Nabbiec
09-27-2011, 12:13 AM
I may be late on this but I had to post. We lived in Ca for 10 years and at times I really miss it. There are so many things there for home schoolers.
We was in a group called CHEP there are I think 4 different ones. OK so they are run by public school. They give all the books and you meet with a teacher once a month. They have classes all year. Music, science and there is a larger one that had cooking classes for little kids . We cheated a little I didn't like the work load and you only have to turn in 2 papers per class a month. So we did our own thing and turned in our work. They were a great group. Even had a library on site for kids. Places for younger ones to have (playroom). Don't know if it's what your looking for but I'd go back in a heart beat. You just gotta work around the amount of work they want kids to do. Not hard. LOL
Good luck!
Also watch the zoo and seaworld, Oh and I just found out Disneyland is having homeschool days. Figures now that I moved. They do everything from teaching about making the rides and shows to a dance group.

Annette