PDA

View Full Version : How does this sound?

Busygoddess
07-14-2011, 01:48 PM
I know it seems a bit early to be thinking about Thanksgiving, but......

We've decided to switch Jay's History around a bit. We'll now be studying Native American history & culture during 2nd Term. So, we'll be studying Native Americans in November. We want to do kind of a themed Thanksgiving. We will be making the entire meal only with foods the Natives would have had available, pre-Europeans. Some of it will be traditional Native recipes, but not all. So, here's what I'm thinking:

Turkey
Buffalo Stew - with bison meat, acorn squash, butternut squash, carrots, etc.
Mashed potatoes
Corn bread
Fry bread with blueberry wojapi
Fried corn meal mush - 2 batches, one with dried fruit in it and one without
Maple baked beans
Sweet potatoes
Cranberry sauce

desserts:
fruit salad
peanut butter balls
tapioca

We're going to try making pumpkin bread with corn flour (wheat came with the Europeans), and see how that works. If it works out, we'll have pumpkin bread, too. I'm also looking for a recipe for some kind of cake to make.

So, how does that sound?

mommykicksbutt
07-14-2011, 04:41 PM
potatoes weren't native to North America, they're South American. Tapioca (or cassava aka yuca) is also from South America.
Actually the menu looks great! What time's dinner?

Busygoddess
07-14-2011, 04:55 PM
Thanks! We're not sticking strictly to the Natives of the North, that's why we're including the potatoes & tapoica. Our study will be focused mainly on the Natives of North america, but will also stretch to include those of South America. We're also thinking of having Mayan hot chocolate to go with dessert.

Now, I just have to run it by dh. He agreed to the idea, but I haven't shown him the menu yet (he just got home from work, so haven't had time yet).

mommykicksbutt
07-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Oh, I don't see fish! The coastal, river, and lakeside tribes would include fish as part of their daily diet in one form or another. To keep authentic, you could have the kids make fish jerky over the T-day break instead of including it in the menu for the big day. Dried fish would have been common amongst many of the tribes.

farrarwilliams
07-14-2011, 05:53 PM
Mmm... We're doing American history and Native Americans this year... maybe I'll steal your menu!

leezmom
07-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Ditto on the seafood option. Mussels/clams were a staple for many if I recall correctly. Very cool idea BTW :) Let us all know how it turns out and how the family adjusts to a slightly unusual Turkey Day (that would cause a riot in our family LOL)

Busygoddess
07-15-2011, 05:32 AM
Yeah, I know that fish & seafood were big for many tribes. The original draft of the menu had shrimp & scallops, but I took them off. Keeping seafood warm is not easy during a big meal like this, and we're really picky about fish. Plus, at this time, I'm not sure how many people will be there. It could be just the 4 of us or up to 10 extra people. Once we know how many will be here, I may reconsider the seafood option.

Thanksgiving isn't all we'll be doing for food for the study. We have some traditional foods planned, and might make a traditional dinner on a normal day (which would be more likely to include to seafood). We're also going to make pemmican (using homemade jerky), and Jay has decided that we should take it as a snack when we go hiking (since it is a traveling food, after all).

mommykicksbutt
07-15-2011, 10:15 AM
you could always have the seafood as an appetizer such as ceviche or a (shrimp) cocktail.

pandahoneybee
07-27-2011, 06:55 AM
Ok you all are making me sooooo hungry and its 7am in the morning and JULY to boot! Thanks for all the great menu suggestions! I am going to do the same things this year as last year but I am thinking of adding some or your recipes to the mix! Ya know one day of cooking and a week of leftovers, LOL!

Amanadoo
07-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Oh my goodness that is a GREAT idea! And it sounds delicious.

Busygoddess
07-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Thank you all!

Hubby & the kids are excited about it, but I haven't yet heard back from anyone who has been invited. I'm the only one in my family who plans ahead. So, they''re probably planning to wait until the week of Thanksgiving to let me know if they'll be here. I'll have to call them again, soon.

Amanadoo
07-27-2011, 02:52 PM
So, how far are you taking it? Like (I ask because I don't know but I'm fascinated), did they have milk and butter in the Americas at that time, for the mashed potatoes? Salt and pepper? I think the point is well made without getting into that kind of detail, but I was just curious how you plan to do it.

Busygoddess
08-01-2011, 04:17 AM
We plan to be as accurate as possible with the ingredients. They did not have milk or other dairy. So, I will attempt to do without them for the entire meal. They also didn't have sugar. Maple was used, and I believe honey was available. So, those will be our sweetners. I'm still doing research, trying to find authentic recipes & reliable sources of info. I'll be happy to share recipes, substitutions, etc. once I get it all figured out.

Rebookie
08-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Awesome idea Brandi!!! I will look into doing something similar for my munchkin. =)