PDA

View Full Version : Veggie Gardeners...do you blanch before freezing?

mamaraby
07-13-2011, 06:40 PM
I used to belong to another more general forum, bit as of late I'm less than thrilled with it. So, are there Gardeners here? Do you freeze veggies and if so, blanc or not?

I'm trying the no-blanch method with peas this year, but now there are several pounds of green beans to tackle. I find the blanching process problematic, or rather the cooling process - never enough ice for the quantity of beans. I'd love not to blanch them, and I'm hesitant to try it out with too many of the buggers as I don't want to waste them. What about you?

Accidental Homeschooler
07-13-2011, 07:13 PM
I don't garden/freeze but my parents do and they do blanch green beans. It is mostly for the color isn't it? My mom does say that you can freeze tomatoes whole and when you defrost later for sauces the skin peels right off. Good luck, I wish I could have a big garden. We just don't have the sun.

hockeymom
07-13-2011, 07:20 PM
I haven't tried not blanching green beans, but I'd suppose it would be fine. Can you buy a bag of ice to help with the cooling? I always forget to make ice, so we never have any; I keep a bag in the freezer in case of some emergency or another (like lots of beans!).

I did shell a bunch of peas last year and didn't blanch those, but they didn't freeze very well. Not sure if it was the peas (probably) or the method.

dbmamaz
07-13-2011, 07:36 PM
I thought some vegetables the cells burst in unpleasant ways if you freeze them raw? but thats just a vague memory.

Accidental Homeschooler
07-13-2011, 07:55 PM
I thought some vegetables the cells burst in unpleasant ways if you freeze them raw? but thats just a vague memory.

I have no idea. This is wisdom from my mom, but with tomatoes if you are just going to use it for sauce she says it works.

Edit- I just realized that tomatoes are a fruit, maybe that is why it works.

MrsLOLcat
07-13-2011, 10:14 PM
I do blanch green beans, though to be fair I've never really frozen anything else. I always can my tomatoes and peaches (or make peach preserves).

sallymae
07-14-2011, 09:35 PM
I am a gardener and I also think blanching is the way to go. Sorry for the extra work but wlll be worth it later!

anywaybecause
07-17-2011, 12:02 AM
I'm not a gardener, but I belong to a CSA. Whenever I need to put something by from my share, I blanch it. Sometimes you can shock it with cold water to stop the cooking process -- that may help decrease the need for lots of ice.