PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Poptarts... with Nutella!

Snoopy
04-30-2010, 04:15 PM
The recent post where Poptarts were kind of bashed made me crave them, but they're not on sale so I'm staying away :) However, this was posted on Consumerist this afternoon and I just had to post it here. She even uses Nutella for the stuffing! How can this not be out of this world? lol. If anyone attempts them, let us know how they turned out. I'm scared of making my own dough, it never turns out right. I wouldn't want to risk wasting perfectly good Nutella...

http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/04/homemade-pop-tarts/

dbmamaz
04-30-2010, 04:26 PM
aside from the fact that i cant have wheat or butter or egg or milk (which is in nutella) these are awesome! I mean, aside from that whole frumpy-gaining-weight thread, too. Still, I did just publish my gfcfef rice free pastry recipe on my blog . . . very tempting to experiment. Well, except that we really dont need more sweets. Any sweets.

hjdong
04-30-2010, 09:15 PM
Oh, I wil so be making these, most likely Sunday afternoon. James is pretty sure I'm depriving him but not allowing him Pop Tarts. And he and DH consider nutella a food group. I won't be eating them however, so I'll have to report 2nd hand how they were.

paojava
05-01-2010, 09:34 AM
I saw these the other day too...and so did my husband (while looking over my shoulder)...and he DEMANDED I make them for him!

Snoopy
05-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Oh, I wil so be making these, most likely Sunday afternoon. James is pretty sure I'm depriving him but not allowing him Pop Tarts. And he and DH consider nutella a food group. I won't be eating them however, so I'll have to report 2nd hand how they were.

Holly, I will be MORE than happy to do a review of your homemade poptarts for this group. My address is.... LOL :) Nutella is definitely a food group and it's at the bottom of my food pyramid. You know, the one I consult each time I need to cook something for my family.:rolleyes:

Topsy
05-01-2010, 10:25 AM
I believe I may have just shorted out my computer with the amount of drool I created looking at those pics....OMG...gotta make those soon!!! Thanks for posting....to me, regular pop tarts just taste so dang artificial!

Melyssa
05-01-2010, 04:52 PM
I've never had Nutella. Honestly, I thought it looked really gross. Maybe I'll give it a try though. I don't bake but I would try those with pre-made dough. Hmm.

Anyway, we don't eat Poptarts because we're vegetarian (they have gelatin in them) but we do buy these organic alternatives and they are pretty tasty. They come in a few flavors but we like the chocolate best, of course.
http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Path-Organic-Pastries-Chocolate/dp/B000P52FLW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=grocery&qid=1272747051&sr=1-5

HoodOrnament
05-03-2010, 02:11 PM
Oooh! I'm swooning over here! Thanks for the recipe! I just may give 'em a go this week!

jab300
05-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Oh those do look yummy! Thanks for posting that link.:)

Snoopy
05-26-2010, 03:53 PM
Another reason to love Nutella (http://consumerist.com/2010/05/nutella-knows-how-much-fan-loves-product-sends-everything-in-the-store.html). And if you object to the palm oil or whatever is in it, kindly refrain from commenting, lol. It's my childhood you'd be destroying and you couldn't keep me from the stuff anyway.

Has anyone tried the poptarts or the bacon-salted-caramel brownies that I had posted too? I just remembered them today. I need to try to make those at some point...

pandahoneybee
05-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Another reason to love Nutella (http://consumerist.com/2010/05/nutella-knows-how-much-fan-loves-product-sends-everything-in-the-store.html). And if you object to the palm oil or whatever is in it, kindly refrain from commenting, lol. It's my childhood you'd be destroying and you couldn't keep me from the stuff anyway.

Has anyone tried the poptarts or the bacon-salted-caramel brownies that I had posted too? I just remembered them today. I need to try to make those at some point...

Ok Snoopy that's just wrong bacon on brownies! I can't show that to my husband he would be like Topsy and short out the computer drooling! Ya know like Homer....ummmm BACON

Snoopy
05-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Ok Snoopy that's just wrong bacon on brownies! I can't show that to my husband he would be like Topsy and short out the computer drooling! Ya know like Homer....ummmm BACON And yet... it sounds sooooo good! Here (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/threads/228-Bacon-salted-caramel-brownies-anyone?highlight=bacon) is the original thread with the recipe, you know, in case you want to surprise him! I really need to make them :)

pandahoneybee
05-26-2010, 04:29 PM
hehe, that put him in a HAPPY COMA! but I might try it and sit back and wait;)

BPier12
05-26-2010, 04:29 PM
Ok, YUM!! I have to admit that I was quite a poptart fan in my youth but I can't bring myself to eat them anymore now that I know what is in them. But, THESE, without an artificial ingredient in sight, look fabulous and will have to be made very soon. The cinnamon ones especially! I'm intrigued by the bacon/caramel/brownie thing too but can't get the link to work. May have to Google that soon.

Snoopy
05-26-2010, 04:49 PM
can't get the link to work I just checked and both the link to the previous post and the link to the recipe work for me...

paganmomblog
05-27-2010, 03:05 PM
Nutella in PopTarts? Hioly crap I am all over that. We love Nutella around here....which is why I strive not to have any in the house lol.

Ever had bacon in your ice cream? We got a local ice cream shop that does a maple syrup and bacon ice cream. Sounds really gross but Oh Em Gee is it good!

Snoopy
05-27-2010, 06:14 PM
Ever had bacon in your ice cream? We got a local ice cream shop that does a maple syrup and bacon ice cream. Sounds really gross but Oh Em Gee is it good!

Nope, I have never had it but aren't you in Asheville? If so let me know the name and location of the shop! My in-laws live in Fletcher and we make it there a couple of times a year.

paganmomblog
05-27-2010, 08:26 PM
Yep, I live in Asheville. The place is called Two Spoons on Haywood Road. They are only open in the summer months. I highly recommend their waffle cones too, they handmake them to order. So yummy!

firefly
06-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Y'all are just too funny! I bought Nutella -- spread it all over breakfast, lunch, and dinner! Everything was going great and the chil'ren (that's "children" for you non-southern folk) were singing praises to Momma! The kids were happy and I was their goddess -- until I made the dread mistake of reading the label (which I normally do before I buy).

Well now, let's just say that since we're basically a sugar-free household, um, we only visit the glorified Nutella on the grocery store shelf. And when those evil commercials lure my children away from their carrot sticks... I quickly flip the channel and bring out a bowl of hummus...quietly mournful for the day Nutella made me queen!

Snoopy
06-02-2010, 10:30 PM
ROFLMAO! Do you KNOW what's in HUMMUS? It's death on a pita chip!!!! Plus you can't trust those darn ingredient labels, they probably translated them wrong anyway. I'm joking, in case you were wondering...

OK, I grew up on Nutella and I turned out fine :) Have you ever tried Nutella spread on warm crepes, then rolled up? Your kids will do ANYTHING you want them to do if you promise them that... think of the possibilities...

paganmomblog
06-03-2010, 07:08 AM
LOL! I thought it was Chillens. Well at least around here I hear chillens alot more.

Nutella wouldn't be too bad in moderation. Unfortunatley once it's in our house it is all over everything lol. But I avoid buying it more than once a year for that very reason.

BPier12
06-03-2010, 08:55 AM
ROFLMAO! Do you KNOW what's in HUMMUS? It's death on a pita chip!!!! Plus you can't trust those darn ingredient labels, they probably translated them wrong anyway. I'm joking, in case you were wondering...

OK, I grew up on Nutella and I turned out fine :) Have you ever tried Nutella spread on warm crepes, then rolled up? Your kids will do ANYTHING you want them to do if you promise them that... think of the possibilities...

DS loved the crepe carts in France! Nutella crepes were a big hit with him! Also the huge waffles sprinkled with powdered sugar. And hubby was in love with the roasted chestnuts. Ok, now I'm REALLY homesick for Dijon!

Snoopy
06-03-2010, 10:48 AM
DS loved the crepe carts in France! Nutella crepes were a big hit with him! Also the huge waffles sprinkled with powdered sugar. And hubby was in love with the roasted chestnuts. Ok, now I'm REALLY homesick for Dijon! Did you ever try the candied chestnuts at Christmas? Yum. We need to have a Dijon-themed gathering, Beth :) I must have some old photos that I can dig up and we can bring jars of Grey Poupon mustard, lol.

firefly
06-03-2010, 02:26 PM
Just reading about all this yummy stuff is making my butt grow. Me reading about bacon flavored icecream and (omg) Nutella crepes -- is like the proverbial alcoholic wandering the isles of the liquor store... no good can come of this. I'm supposed to be out pricing wear-around-your-neck pedometers - so I can kick off living my Oprah-type inspired "Best Life". Ten thousand steps a day... Yep, that's gonna work...(not).

I don't know how to use that "Reply with Quote" thing yet-- But, paganmomblog (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/threads/members/402-paganmomblog) you're correct, it is "chillen"- not to be confused w/ "chillin" ("like , yo man we're just kicked back & chillin"). And Snoopy, when you said you "grew" up eating Nutella - I assumed you must be very young b/c I thought it was a new product. But I looked it up and it's been around since WWII. Seriously? Why didn't my momma ever buy me any? I'm probably 20lbs lighter b/c of that...

Snoopy
06-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Just Snoopy, when you said you "grew" up eating Nutella - I assumed you must be very young b/c I thought it was a new product. But I looked it up and it's been around since WWII. Seriously? Why didn't my momma ever buy me any? I'm probably 20lbs lighter b/c of that... 50% of my voluptuousness can probably be directly attributed to the amount of Nutella I ate when I was a child :) I think it's only taken off in the US in the past decade or so because when I first moved here in the late 1980s, you could only find it in stores that imported foreign food. Now I find it at my local grocery store and I live in the bounties!

dbmamaz
06-03-2010, 10:50 PM
I've been eating nutella since the 80s, i was suprised to see how common it is now.

BPier12
06-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Did you ever try the candied chestnuts at Christmas? Yum. We need to have a Dijon-themed gathering, Beth :) I must have some old photos that I can dig up and we can bring jars of Grey Poupon mustard, lol.

And a baguette or six and the French butter that I miss sooooooooooooooooooo much! ;)

firefly
06-04-2010, 10:02 AM
Snoopy - LOL. Where are you from? Me, SC. Personally, I'm just one Extreme Makeover away from being voluptuous! Nothng that 110 yrs. of cardio & weight training won't cure!

Alas, mine is not so much of a sweet / Nutella tooth. I'm more of a cheese & cracker type gal. Give me 1 lb of Whole Food's Fried Tortilla Chips & a block of feta and I'm good.... for like a whole 15 min!

Snoopy
06-04-2010, 03:30 PM
And a baguette or six and the French butter that I miss sooooooooooooooooooo much! ;) It's a date! The French bread at Publix isn't half bad (nothing like real French bread but an acceptable substitute) and I think I might have seen if not French, at least European butter in their dairy case too (near the top). I miss le saucisson and jambon sec.

Snoopy
06-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Snoopy - LOL. Where are you from? Me, SC. Personally, I'm just one Extreme Makeover away from being voluptuous! Nothng that 110 yrs. of cardio & weight training won't cure!

Alas, mine is not so much of a sweet / Nutella tooth. I'm more of a cheese & cracker type gal. Give me 1 lb of Whole Food's Fried Tortilla Chips & a block of feta and I'm good.... for like a whole 15 min!

LOL, Firefly! You guys have great food in SC! I spent several days in Charleston last July and came back weighing 10 lbs more. I want to go back!

I'm from France :) I have the sweet tooth, the cheese tooth and the bread tooth. lol. Not so much feta though, but give me a soft paste French cheese and I'll devour it in about 15 min, like you. YUM!

firefly
06-04-2010, 10:56 PM
Snoopy, Yep, Charleston has the famous shrimp & grits which I hope to try b4 the oil creeps up from FL. 'Tho growin up in the kuntry we wuz lucky to git puddin' & grits. (Liver pudding is hog mush + a dash of squeal...)

Youngest DD informed me she must learn French b/c she is leaving at 18 for Paris. I told her I'd be coming with... Her dad was in Toulouse & did the interior of Pres. Jacques Chirac's plane (& the VP's) after our 911. I was alone in OK doing double diaper duty while he got to drink at work! Cool country! ;)

dbmamaz
06-17-2010, 09:15 PM
Ok, I just made a cherry filling - basically used my cherry pie recipe, but cooked it on the stove and hit it with an immersion blender. Tomorrow I'll make the crust, but not sure if I'll have time to bake them or not. They had sour cherries at the farmers market, and sour cherry pie used to be my b-day pie, but i hadnt seen them in FOREVER. DH finished off the pie, and i was eating the crumbs - and it tasted like a cherry pop-tart - my favorite kind! Now, my pie crust is gluten free, dairy free, and barely holds together, so I will have to try an egg in it . . .and i'm not at all confident how it will come out . . .but so far, the filling is great! Wish me luck!

dbmamaz
06-18-2010, 05:35 PM
First batch of experimental gluten-free, dairy-free cherry poptarts are in the oven! The dough held up really well and they look adorable so far!

dbmamaz
06-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Cherry frosted gfcf home made poptarts! http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee47/dbmamaz/2010%20food%20pics/pastries-frosted.jpg

gluten free was a bit crumbly . . . maybe more guar gum next time. Family happily ate them, tho!