PDA

View Full Version : Hello from WNC

Shannon
04-30-2010, 11:43 AM
Hi there,

I'm Shannon, mom to three children ages 15, 12 and 10. My Husband and I are ready to make a change regarding education and our children, especially our 15 year old.

Needless to say, we have grown very dissatisfied with the education our oldest is receiving and have together decided to make this school year his last in public school. He would be starting homeschooling as a sophomore and believe I would require some sort of "structured" curriculum to keep him focused and on track. We are so excited and nervous at the same time!

While we aren't immediately thinking of homeschooling our younger two the coming year - we surely will once they've completed 8th grade. Of course, we are leaving our minds open to change once we actively start homeschooling and find our groove with it.

I am here for support, advice, resources, etc... So excited to have found you!

Topsy
04-30-2010, 10:55 PM
Welcome Shannon!!! Fellow WNC'er here!! So glad you discovered us and are allowing us to share in your homeschooling adventure. We've been having an active discussion about homeschooling high schoolers this week, and it sounds like you might be able to chime right in! I myself have a 15 year old (16 on Monday!! yikes!!) and a 14 year old who have been homeschooled since the beginning. It's an exciting road for sure! Please feel free to ask any and all questions, because we have some wise homeschooling experts around these parts, and they offer terrific support and advice!!

Hope you enjoy the site! (Oh, and be sure to add yourself to the NC group (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=43), if you haven't already!)

Topsy

Shoe
05-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Welcome to the site Shannon. I've got 11 and 13 y ear olds who both started in public school. We took our oldest out this year and the youngest is following suit next year. Excited and nervous still describes how I feel almost a (school) year into it, but it's overall been a great experience for both my son and I.

Cheers.

Snoopy
05-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Hey Shannon, welcome to the group! I'm in FL but my in-laws live near Asheville so we make it there once in a while. My teens all go to p.s. and I homeschool our youngest. As Topsy said, our members have been discussing high school quite a bit recently so make sure to read the archived posts for suggestions and ideas :) Good luck with everything!

Shannon
05-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Ah shucks, thanks for the welcomes!

I look forward to keeping up with the HS homeschool talk and will jump in soon.

LJean
05-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Hello and welcome!