PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Flagstaff, AZ!

carecare7
04-29-2010, 11:00 PM
::::waving:::: Hi, my name is Carrie and I live in Flagstaff, AZ. I homeschool my four kids. Three are teen girls (17, 17, and 15) and one is my boy (8). I am 50 years old and have been homeschooling since the twins started 7th grade. There are no really active secular homeschool groups here (and I cannot start one because it has been tried and no one seems interested). There is a Roots & Shoots group that has homeschoolers but it doesn't focus on homeschool as much as on Roots & Shoots and it doesn't have that many activities. I am also taking online university classes to get my first bachelor's degree. I feel way too busy most of the time and this group seems to be the first one in which there are older (over 40 years old) moms with teens and [a] young child/ren. Nice to "meet" everyone!

Snoopy
04-30-2010, 10:50 AM
Welcome Carrie, glad that you're here, although I can't say that I'm too thrilled with being called an "older" mom right off the bat, lol. I'm 42 and I have 4 teens and a tween (who all go to p.s.) and I homeschool our youngest son who is 8.

Shoe
04-30-2010, 01:41 PM
::::waving:::: Hi, my name is Carrie and I live in Flagstaff, AZ. I feel way too busy most of the time and this group seems to be the first one in which there are older (over 40 years old) moms with teens and [a] young child/ren. Nice to "meet" everyone! Hi Carrie and welcome! Don't forget get us older dads...

This is a great place to be. As my kids are approaching high school age soon, I look forward to your thoughts on educating your teens at home.

Such Lovely Freckles
04-30-2010, 04:02 PM
Welcome Carrie, I suppose I'm one of the younger moms then. ;-) I am 35 and I homeschool a 9 year old daughter and 7 year old son.
I like Flagstaff. My family used to live in Phoenix, until we moved to Oregon 4 years ago.

Ute

Topsy
04-30-2010, 10:32 PM
Yee-haw!! I read that correctly, right?? Older is OVER 40, yes??? Whew!! Hitting the 4-0 mark later this year, so I am safe for now!! I shall now go inform the hubby that I am officially a "younger" mom.

Welcome to this crazy crew, Carrie! We're thrilled you are here!

Topsy

BPier12
05-01-2010, 12:32 AM
Hi Carrie,

I'm new here too and you can count me in as an "older", ahem, mom. We're starting homeschooling in the fall with our twelve year old son and I'll be interested to know your thoughts about homeschooling into high school.

Cheers,

camaro
05-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Nice to meet you, Carrie. Glad you found us! I'm interested in your experiences homeschooling twins. I only just started homeschooling my three boys last August, two of which are soon-to-be 5yo twins. Although they are twins, they are very different physically and academically. I would love to learn from any of your experiences homeschooling twins.

carecare7
05-03-2010, 03:17 AM
Hi back to all of you that replied. I said "older moms" because so many homeschooling moms I meet seem to be in their 20's and 30's and those that have older kids don't usually have the combo of older kids and a younger one like I have. I started having my kids late because the girls are fertility kids meaning it took five years of trying different fertility treatments before I got pregnant with the twins.

We tried doing homeschool like school at home, then more eclectic but still sticking to state standards in case they wanted to go back, paid homeschool online, a different paid homeschool online and then this year, we are using the Thomas Jefferson way of doing things.... sort of. I guess when it comes to high school, it depends on what state you are in, whether or not your kids want to take their GED and then go to a junior (2 year college) first (to save money) and then transfer to a state university, or keep records, print up a diploma, take their SATs and go to a higher level or specialty university. That's basically how we looked at things.

LJean
05-04-2010, 02:31 PM
Hello and welcome Carrie. :)

Katherine Heicksen
11-16-2010, 08:05 PM
Hi! This is Katherine here in Flagstaff too. I am new and looking to connect with other home school people and get involved in some activities. I have a 5 year old and a 3 year old. We tried public kindergarten and found the system to be hugely disappointing. I'd love to be able to connect with people that like getting together for the sake of sharing ideas, education and community but not religion!

pandahoneybee
11-17-2010, 07:45 AM
Hi Katerine~
Welcome to the group! Check out our AZ group (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=66)to see if anyone lives close to ya;) Until you find those closer to ya we would be happy to share ideas and be your online community!

InstinctiveMom
11-19-2010, 02:22 AM
Welcome, Carrie!
I'm not in the 4-0 club yet, but I'm getting closer every day ;)

I LOVE your siggy quotes! I'm going to have to add Wilson's to my list.
~h

Emerald
11-19-2010, 10:14 AM
Welcome! I'm a very young mom. :) I'm 26. Even more confusing, though, is when I tell people that I have teenagers! I'm a foster parent/adoptive/biological parent and I have all ages in my house. Right now it's an 18yo, 6yo, and 4yo. I became pregnant with my son when I was 19... So I am almost always the youngest mom at all the events/school activities/etc.! I also look younger than I am... I'm used to the stares!

CroppinMom
11-19-2010, 05:06 PM
Welcome Katherine! This site is a great source of support and resources. I look forward to getting to know you better!

Baberry
11-25-2010, 03:41 PM
Welcome Carrie. Nice to know I have such good company in the 'older'(...cuter, more confident, happier...) moms club. I, too, feel like grandma moses when I'm at homeschooling events, especially because my bambinos are still very young( 7 and 5). This is a great spot filled with really knowledgable folks.

Oh, and you siggys, made me spit out my tea!! thanks.....

carecare7
12-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Hi! This is Katherine here in Flagstaff too. I am new and looking to connect with other home school people and get involved in some activities. I have a 5 year old and a 3 year old. We tried public kindergarten and found the system to be hugely disappointing. I'd love to be able to connect with people that like getting together for the sake of sharing ideas, education and community but not religion!

Katherine,

Nice to know you are here. Please e-mail me so I can give you my phone number. My e-mail is carecare7atmsndotcom (you know what to do with the "at" and the "dot" parts of that address).

Hope to hear from you soon!

Carrie

JinxieFox
12-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Hi Carrie, and welcome. Well, I just turned 37 today, so I'm getting there. :D I have a 9-year-old and *maybe* there'll be a baby next year. Who knows. It's a crap-shoot (we want one, we don't want one, we want one, we don't want one... LOL). This is a great forum!

raesrose
12-07-2011, 05:19 PM
Hi Carrie! I turn 44 next week so I'm in the older mom group. I have a daughter that just went off to college, and a 6 year old! Welcome, you'll like it here!

Summertree
12-18-2011, 11:08 PM
Hi--I also have twin girls who are different as night and day. They are still very young and we haven't decided yet what we will do about school, but I'd also like to hear about hs-ing with twins.

Dara
06-12-2012, 09:52 PM
Hi! I know this thread is very old by now, but I came across it and sure would love to connect with other secular Flagstaff homeschoolers. I feel like I've been looking for a local homeschool community for a long time, even though my daughter is not even 4 yet! I think I've always known that homeschooling would ultimately be our path, and having community is so important to me. So, if either of the previous-posters who are from Flagstaff are still on here, or if there are any new Flagstaff homeschoolers on this site, I would love to hear from you! My email address is daramarks at yahoo dot com. Give me a shout!

mcaulkin
02-05-2014, 11:46 PM
Hello all...my partner Nora and I just moved to Flagstaff about 6 months ago, and are seriously considering homeschooling our 6 year old son starting in the fall of 2014. I realize that some of the posts in this thread are rather old, but thought I would at least see if folks are still interested in starting up a homeschooling community here in Flagstaff. You can email me back at mcaulkinatsfudotca - you know what to do with the 'at' and the 'dot'.

We work at NAU, recently spent about 9 years living and studying in Western Canada, and now are back in Arizona to work and raise our kids (2 boys - a 2 year old and a 6 year old).

-Michael Caulkins

Natalie Bryant-Rizzieri
03-22-2015, 01:18 AM

Dear Katherine,

I just moved back to Flagstaff and am thinking about homeschooling next year -- my near-five year old. Are there any academic/non-religious groups that you know of in Flagstaff with younger kids?

Are you still homeschooling?

Thanks!

alexsmom
03-22-2015, 09:51 AM
Hi Natalie, and welcome!

Sorry I cant help about active Flagstaffers, but just gotta say youre in my favorite town in the whole world! Lowell Observatory, Meteor Crater, Indian sites, Grand Canyon, Sedona.... visiting Flagstaff is like a week-long fieldtrip!