PDA

View Full Version : Toys Made Illegal in this County for Fast Food Chains

Museling
04-29-2010, 10:50 AM
I happened on this little video clip (http://news.yahoo.com/video/business-15749628/where-happy-meals-are-illegal-19362009)that showed a county in California that has made it illegal for fast food restaurants to distribute toys in their kids meals and wanted to see what other people's reaction is to it.

On one hand, I disagree that it should be made illegal because, for one, the commercials that are promoting the toys are still airing so the desire to get the food because it has a relation to Shrek, Star Wars, Barbie, Iron Man will still be enforced to kids and two, I think it's the parents responsiblity to moderate what their children in take.

On the other hand, I agree because the appeal for them is so strong. Even my own son has seen a couple of ads for the burger king kids meal with Iron Man and has asked if we can go there to get it (but we never eat at burger king when we do eat fast food). They've gotten the advertising down to a science that plays on our need to eat and anyway to reinforce it. Studying this stuff in my nutrition and diet therapy class is down right scary!

So what do you think? Should they be allowed to give out the toys or should they be moderated to help kids make better choices at the possible cost to businesses?

Shoe
04-29-2010, 10:52 AM
I I think it's the parents responsibility to moderate what their children in take.

That is my opinion, plain and simple.

hjdong
04-29-2010, 11:45 AM
Seriously? As a state, we're out of money, real, adult level problems, and this is the kind of laws being passed.

Snoopy
04-29-2010, 01:45 PM
I agree that it should be up to the parents. Doesn't this remind you of that "School-Homed" article from the Onion from a couple of weeks ago? More and more people are perfectly happy to surrender their authority and rights to the government, probably because they are afraid to make unpopular decisions themselves. That's very scary. If they can't say "No" to their own under-10 kids when they whine that they want a cheap piece of plastic, I shudder to think how they will handle teens and all their demands!

Nowadays lots of fast food places have much healthier alternatives then when my older kids were little (no apple slices or yogurt back then, it was all fried food!). Subway hands out little trinkets too (Noah got a lunch tote the other day) and Chik Fil A hands out really cool educational trinkets (but I don't like their food). It is to be noted that if you just want the trinket, you can BUY it, in many places, without having to buy the food itself.

melgriffin03
04-29-2010, 02:25 PM
I think it should be up to the parents as well.

Riceball_Mommy
04-29-2010, 02:44 PM
I think the parents should take responsibility and moderate what their kids eat. Though like Nathalie pointed out it's like that "School-homed" mentality. It's the same one that demands shows be taken off the air because they are inappropriate for children, more people need to pay attention to the rating system and use the parental controls. Just like with these kids meals, parents need to recognize the healthy alternative available with these meals and order though. Also I've noticed that McDonald's commercials are showing their apple dippers rather than fries when they are featuring a child eating a kids meal. It's obvious these choices are out there and parents need to use them.

Melyssa
04-29-2010, 10:54 PM
For real?! It seems kinda dumb to me since the whole fast food industry is not geared for a child's wellbeing in the first place. ?? LOL