PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from the Treasure Coast of Florida!

BPier12
04-28-2010, 03:02 PM
Hi all,

My name is Beth and I'm so glad to have found this site! Our family has just made the decision to pull our son (7th grade, 12 yrs) out of school at the end of this school year and start homeschooling. My husband and I have been talking about homeschooling since before our son was born but there was always something holding us (ok, mostly me...) back from taking the plunge and doing it. We moved to Florida in January, taking our son out of a public school in Michigan where he was very happy, and we put him into a private, very hoity-toity, school that he hates. The public school options don't appeal to us where we live so now seems like the right time to make the move to homeschooling.

I'll be honest and say that I'm panicking a bit about the decision. If I take all of the emotional issues out of it, I know that we are making the right decision for our son and for us as a family. We are more than capable of educating him and he is very capable of driving a lot of his education himself. I would be really interested to know if any of you have pulled your children out of school later in the schooling process and how you dealt with the myriad changes to lifestyle, family dynamics etc.

A little about us personally - I'm a stage manager and director for opera companies (which is causing part of my stress about homeschooling as I must travel for weeks at a time to work) and my husband is an engineer. Our son is passionate about science, theatre and reading. We are not churchgoers and find ourselves living in a part of Florida that is vehemently right-wing politically and predominantly Christian. I heartily support peoples' rights to their own opinions, it just is very hard right now to find our "tribe" because our views seem diametrically opposed to most of those around us. So, I'm thrilled that I can come here and be honest about who we are as a family.

Sorry to ramble on so. I look forward to getting to know you!

Best wishes,
Beth

Topsy
04-28-2010, 09:25 PM
Great intro, Beth!! Thanks for sharing so much about your family and your thought-process concerning homeschooling. I can totally understand your anxieties - - working and homeschooling is definitely a challenge. It is AMAZING, though, how families make the homeschooling thing work, though, when they are positive that it is the best thing for their child(ren). It is also a challenge when you don't have a local support system, and that sounds like the case for you right now. We definitely have some Floridians who are active on the forum - - I hope they will encourage you that you aren't completely alone down there in the Sunshine State! You might want to drop in and add yourself to the FL Group (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=26) as well....they have their own active little sub-forum going over there. Please feel free to ask any questions as you continue to weigh your options - -that's what we're here for - - supporting each other!! Best of luck to you...

Topsy

Snoopy
04-28-2010, 09:31 PM
Hi Beth and welcome :) My husband and I are opera lovers (although we never got to go when the Orlando Opera was around and now I think it's disbanded anyway...) so I think you must have a pretty cool job! We're in Central Florida, about 45 min west of Orlando.

Good luck with everything :) It's a little overwhelming when you pull your kids out of school (I pulled one of my sons out of 4th grade and homeschooled him through 5th grade and I remember the panic feeling as well as the elation on the day that I pulled him! He did go back to p.s. in 6th grade but that had been the plan all along. I have homeschooled our youngest since the beginning but all the other kids are in p.s. We do have a few members with kids your son's age though, so they should be able to lend you support and give you suggestions. I would suggest reading through the forums as much as you can as we've already had a few great threads about curriculum choices, extra curricular activities, and such.

We also have a Florida group that you are welcome to join. I try to post Florida events that I come across on that group, but most of the action is here in the main forums :) Also, check out the Resources tab and scroll down to the list of secular groups by state and you might find listed a local secular group that you could join for extra support.

Shoe
04-29-2010, 01:56 AM
Hi Beth and welcome. I pulled my son out of public school this year in 7th grade too. I understand the panic about the decision, as I went through something similar, but both my son and I are quite enjoying it. There are a lot of really knowledgeable people here who are friendly and supportive and a lot of informative posts.

Cheers.

reversemigration
04-29-2010, 09:50 AM
Welcome, Beth! I can empathize with the stress that goes from starting homeschooling partway through - I'm in that stage as well. You can't help but secondguess your decisions; however, I think it's evident that you're doing the right thing, and I suspect once things get well and truly underway you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you made the right decision. While I will defer to the many others here who are more experienced and have gone through the transition successfully, I can say that right now our challenge is finding our style (a.k.a. the devil is in the details.) My guy has been both in a regular public school and a private Montessori one, so finding out together just how much structure he needs is going to be interesting.

Do you think it would be possible for you to take him with you as you work? I can understand that probably wouldn't be possible, but on the other hand, he'd have some amazing experiences and exposures doing that, both through seeing your work and through the travel itself.

Let me know if you ever make it to Cincinnati. While kids and finances don't permit frequent visits, I do enjoy the opera here!

BackLitLeo
04-29-2010, 03:03 PM
Welcome! I'm new to homeschooling myself, but I'm sure that you will receive great support here. :)

BPier12
04-29-2010, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome and words of encouragement, Topsy! I really appreciate it.

BPier12
04-29-2010, 11:58 PM
We also have a Florida group that you are welcome to join. I try to post Florida events that I come across on that group, but most of the action is here in the main forums :) Also, check out the Resources tab and scroll down to the list of secular groups by state and you might find listed a local secular group that you could join for extra support.

Thanks Nathalie for letting me know about the Florida group here. I will definitely check it out. Thanks for your words of support too and it is great to find another opera lover here! Last year was a bad one for several opera companies. Orlando, Connecticut, Opera Pacific and Baltimore all closed their doors. Really sad.

BPier12
04-30-2010, 12:02 AM
Hi Beth and welcome. I pulled my son out of public school this year in 7th grade too. I understand the panic about the decision, as I went through something similar, but both my son and I are quite enjoying it. There are a lot of really knowledgeable people here who are friendly and supportive and a lot of informative posts.

Hi Shoe,

Thanks for the warm welcome and I'm really glad to see someone else here with a child in the same grade/age as my son. It is reassuring to know that you are both enjoying it even though you have started homeschooling later in the schooling process. I'm a movie lover too!

BPier12
04-30-2010, 12:08 AM
Welcome, Beth! I can empathize with the stress that goes from starting homeschooling partway through - I'm in that stage as well. You can't help but secondguess your decisions; however, I think it's evident that you're doing the right thing, and I suspect once things get well and truly underway you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you made the right decision. While I will defer to the many others here who are more experienced and have gone through the transition successfully, I can say that right now our challenge is finding our style (a.k.a. the devil is in the details.) My guy has been both in a regular public school and a private Montessori one, so finding out together just how much structure he needs is going to be interesting.

Do you think it would be possible for you to take him with you as you work? I can understand that probably wouldn't be possible, but on the other hand, he'd have some amazing experiences and exposures doing that, both through seeing your work and through the travel itself.

Let me know if you ever make it to Cincinnati. While kids and finances don't permit frequent visits, I do enjoy the opera here!

Hi Ben,

Thanks for sharing your situation with me. It sounds like we are in a very similar stage at this point and I will be interested to keep in touch with you on your journey as you learn what is working for you and Max. I, too, am very curious about how much structure is going to be needed as we embark on this adventure. My son is very gung-ho about unschooling and I'm not sure I can abdicate that much control at this point :-) I'm sure we'll find some happy medium.

I'm so glad to find some other opera lovers here. What are some of your favorites?

BPier12
04-30-2010, 12:09 AM
Welcome! I'm new to homeschooling myself, but I'm sure that you will receive great support here. :)

Hi, thanks for the nice welcome! I'm hopeful that we will all be learning and sharing here together!