PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Southern Alberta :)

lovemylife
04-27-2010, 04:31 PM
My name is Theresa, I have a DH and four kids (ages 9, 4.5, 4.5 & 3). I live in a small town/bedroom community of Calgary and the public school system here is actually pretty decent. That being said, I am *almost* ready to commit to HS my oldest child, who is finishing up grade 4 this year. My twin daughters will start kindergarten in school this fall, and my youngest will continue on with pre-school and therapy for his special needs. We are examining our reasons for wanting to homeschool, and reading other families experiences are helping to solidify our motivation.

DS was identified as a 'gifted' student this year and it was no surprise, but he is not engaged in classroom learning and prefers much more of a hands-on experience. His report cards are lackluster, as is his attention to detail and desire to learn by rote is minimal. He is the youngest in his grade 4/5 split class and makes friends easily but he is not thriving in a classroom setting. Our plan is to homeschool for Grade 5 and Grade 6 then transition back to Grade 7 at public school; however if all is going well than we are definitely open to HS for longer. As a family we love to travel w/o the hassles of crowds, and taking time off to do so now causes all sorts of havoc and stern lectures from the school. We definitely crave a more flexible schedule :cool:

Topsy
04-28-2010, 10:08 AM
Our plan is to homeschool for Grade 5 and Grade 6 then transition back to Grade 7 at public school; however if all is going well than we are definitely open to HS for longer. As a family we love to travel w/o the hassles of crowds, and taking time off to do so now causes all sorts of havoc and stern lectures from the school. We definitely crave a more flexible schedule :cool:

Yea for flexibility, Theresa!! I'll have to say that is one of the serious "perks" of homeschooling!! Being able to take vacays when other kids are in school...aahhh...
Homeschooling can be such a triumph for gifted kiddos. My oldest son has been able to follow his interests and learn SO much more in-depth than the "little of this, little of that" approach in the public schools. You might want to check out this article (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/164-Online-Learning-A-Boon-For-The-Gifted-Child) on the site, for even more ideas and resources.

Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself. I hope you will hang out with us often!!

Topsy

camaro
04-28-2010, 10:18 AM
Welcome Theresa! It's so nice to have another Canadian join the site. I'm right next door to you in Saskatchewan. I have a sister living in Irricana, though, and my wife has a brother in Coaldale. We've got you surrounded. :)

I'm quite surprised in the similarities of your situation. We pulled our 7yo son last year from a K-3 classroom in a tiny school facing closure and we also have twins (boys) who will be starting K this fall, but we plan to homeschool all our children as long as possible. Although I don't believe our oldest is gifted, he wasn't thriving in school despite being a very friendly sort. Perhaps he's just easily distracted by others around him. But overall we also enjoy the freedom of homeschooling. It's nice to go on field trips and not fight the crowds. We definitely don't miss being slaves to the school bus schedule!

Feel free to join the Canadian group in the Group section of the site. :)

Shoe
04-28-2010, 10:26 AM
Welcome to the site Theresa. I grew up in Ontario, but am now living in New Hampshire. I hope you'll find this site a valuable resource. I kind of jumped into home schooling this past October, and while I am still a bit anxious about it (is he learning enough and the "right" things; am I a good enough teacher; am I compliant with the law; how will he do when his evaluation comes due in the next few weeks; can I really manage both my kids at home next year, work full time and maintain my sanity-those kind of questions), I still think it was a good decision for my son ( and for our family as a whole). It's not a decision to be made lightly though. It's a lot of work, but very rewarding. And, as Topsy said, the flexibility is a really great advantage!

hockeymom
04-28-2010, 10:28 AM
Welcome Theresa!

Nice to see another Canadian here (I'm an Ameircan living in eastern Canada)! Your situation sounds so familiar; we just pulled our 7 year out of grade 1 for similar reasons. The schools here refuse to acknowledge that kids have different abilities, and if they CAN"T ignore it they just refuse to be of any help. Ugh.

I'm new to homeschooling--this is literally our first month--but so far I have to say it's an awesome opportunity for gifted kids to really learn, at their own pace and on their own level. Classrooms settings just aren't designed with different learning styles in mind so if your kid is "out of the box" they are naturally going to struggle. I totally hear you about the ability to take vacations too. Not feeling tied down to someone else's schedule feels so great and there's no worry about "making up lost work time". I'm a firm believer that we learn more by living than by just listening and I can see in my own son how much he takes away from every trip we go on. At 7 he's an expert in US and Canadian geography; he could have never learned that in a classroom, and we've always traveled year round.

There is so much to consider but I wish you all the best in making your *big* decision! :)

Snoopy
04-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Welcome to the group! I think you will find lots of encouragement and support here. Sounds to me like your kiddo would definitely benefit from homeschooling. If he's bored in school, it's a recipe for disaster! Good luck with everything :)

lovemylife
04-28-2010, 06:41 PM
Thank you for your warm welcomes; and especially for being so open with the realities of homeschooling. My DS is excited about the idea, enough that his friends have caught his enthusiasm and asked if I could homeschool them too :) I had to decline that request, but offered a space at our table when we extract DNA from a tomato. (I had no idea such great science kits existed - I am so pumped!)

David - my DH is from SK (Melfort) and has family all over the province. My Dad was raised in Regina and his extended family still lives there so I have strong ties to the province :)