PDA

View Full Version : Homeschooling in another country

paceofnature
06-24-2011, 09:54 PM
My husband is planning on returning to college next year and the school that looks perfect for him is in Newfoundland. Of course this all depends upon us selling our house next year first ;) One thing that I am unsure of is who would we send our Letter of Intent and End of Year report to? We won't be living in Massachusetts, but we won't be Canadian citizens either. Any ideas?

KristinK
06-24-2011, 10:10 PM
I'm thinking you'd just follow whatever the rules are in Newfoundland...I'm sure you can find a site online that lists those, since I don't think we have any newfies onboard. Hockeymom can probably give you some advice about being an American HSing in Canada. A friend of mine here is a US citizen, but HSing her Canadian-born daughter here in Quebec, so she follows the Qc rules.

hockeymom
06-25-2011, 07:23 AM
Kristin is right, as a resident of Newfoundland you will follow homeschooling laws there. We aren't citizens either but we are permanent residents, either way this is where we live and school so we are subject to the laws here rather than the state we left behind.

Homeschooling in Canada is legal in every province, and mostly it is very simple (Quebec has the toughest laws, but I'm not sure how difficult they really are). The only reporting we have to do here is sending in a letter of intent every year. I'm getting the run around on provincial websites for you to read, but if you look up the school district your child would be attending, you should be able to find out exactly what is required.

There do seem to be 2 HS support groups in the province, but they are both Christian. Be prepared for that. Homeschooling is quite uncommon in most of Canada, particularly on the east coast, and it will be probably be assumed that you are Christian (homeschooling or not).

What area of Newfoundland will you be relocating to? I highly advise that you familiarize yourself with the laws pertaining to living in Canada on a temporary basis, ie: whether as the spouse of a student are you eligible to work (no), how much your husband can earn while in school (if I remember correctly, he can't or it's extremely limited, but it's been awhile since I've researched that), etc. There are too many horror stories of people coming up and assuming they'll have full rights only to discover severe difficulties after they land. This is NOT to be discouraging, just a reminder to do your homework.

There are many great sites to help with that--let me know if you need any help sorting through them. I spent years researching before moving up, and while no amount of online research can prepare you for the social aspect, it pays in spades to know what you're getting into legally.

Sounds exciting--good luck! :)

paceofnature
06-25-2011, 10:14 AM
We will be going to St. John's (Memorial University). Looks like the requirements are not so different than what we have here. Just a bit more reporting, but that isn't a big deal. I did find T.E.A.C.H., a homeschool group in St.John's and although they are Christian, they do seem to be pretty active.

My husband is going into the PhD program for Archaeology, where they have great funding opportunities and he will more than likely be working as a TA. I had also looked into the laws (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-spouse.asp) regarding my working and found that I would be able to as long as he is a full time student. I am self employed and was told that I can continue with that while we are in NL as well.

Thank you for all your help! I sometimes get worried that I'm not thinking of something that I should look into, so any tips, guidance, etc. would be great :)

hockeymom
06-25-2011, 10:49 AM
So glad some of the working issues have changed since I last looked into it (admittedly, years ago!). Great news! :)

I wish I could help more with Newfoundland specific issues but it's a loooonnnnnggggg way from us here in New Brunswick! I hear that St. John's is a fun little city and being from MA the winter weather won't be too much of a shock for you. There's a lot to explore on the island, but unfortunately we haven't made it over there; I'm sure student services from the university can point you in all sorts of great directions.

Ana
06-29-2011, 05:56 AM
we have lived in several countries over the years (now we live in Mexico) and you do not need to worry with paperwork for HS in the US, you follow the rules of the the country in which you will be living.

paceofnature
06-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Thanks everyone! I got in touch with the local group and it seems that they school system is pretty easy to work with. That's one less thing to worry about ;)

hockeymom
06-30-2011, 05:22 AM
That's good news! We have found it very easy here; like in many states there just aren't the resources to care about homeschoolers so the district just leaves us alone. I think the only time they ever get involved is if they suspect foul play going on.