PDA

View Full Version : TV Turnoff week?

reversemigration
04-27-2010, 01:57 PM
While we're fairly low media to start, we do TV turnoff week twice a year...and this happens to be one of the weeks. While TV hasn't been much of a sacrifice (although DW insists that if she isn't allowed to watch Glee, there will be serious repercussions...,) giving up all screentime is always more eye-opening.

While I haven't given up the computer, I'm only using it for productive things (and yes, SHS counts!) Max has set aside his handheld game - normally he has to have finished chores and earned minutes from being outside. Thing One and Thing Two are going without their daily episode of Thomas. Everyone's been kind about it thus far, although I wish the weather weren't so rainy and cold this week.

Anyone else doing it? How many of y'all are TV-free already?

elinnea
04-27-2010, 02:21 PM
We're TV-free and I love it. We do own a tv for watching dvds but that rarely happens. I wish we could be computer-free too sometimes but I think that would be harder.

Snoopy
04-27-2010, 05:26 PM
I would give up TV for a week (just tape the 2 shows that I do watch right now) but you will need to pry my laptop from my cold, dead fingers! My internet connection was really spotty all morning-long and I hate internet rage! I do unplug when we go on vacation and frankly, it's a relief not to be a slave to the PC for that time. I don't allow the TV to be on in the mornings. Noah can watch something (usually he chooses a DVD or video) at lunchtime if we're home and he can watch cartoons when we come back from our afternoon errands. He does plenty of reading, plays outside every day, has multiple P.E. classes and lessons, and we limit the amount of videogame time he gets (2 long chapters or 4 short chapters from a chapter book for 1 hour of videogame time). With my teens, as long as their homework is done and their grades are good, I don't limit their online time (my 14 year-old is on Facebook talking with his friends at night) but since I do limit what shows are on the TV in the living room (which is the only TV getting a signal, the others are for consoles and DVD players), they watch their programs on hulu.com. My boys are in marching band and one is in JROTC and Drill Team so they get exercise. I also require them to read 1 hour a day. My 11 year-old daughter reads and listens to her MP3 player. She rarely watches TV.

The person who would whine the most about turning the TV off is my husband because of his sports. Ironically, he didn't own a TV when I met him and now he's the one who watches it the most!

Shoe
04-27-2010, 06:16 PM
I rarely watch TV, though I do use the TV to watch my large collection of DVDs, but I would have a full scale revolution on my hands (in the spirit, magnitude and bloodiness of the French Revolution) if I tried to turn it off for the rest of the family. My kids watch more than I'd like, as does my wife.

As for giving up the computer...impossible. When I was up in Canada last week, I only survived without my lap top because I had my IPod Touch and frequent wifi access. My computer is just another one of my appendages, and my most important memory bank. I'd be completely lost...very sad, I know, but at least I'm honest about it.

Firefly_Mom
04-27-2010, 08:12 PM
I would love to give it up for a week, but I fear that my guys would mutiny! I think I would have a harder time giving up the computer :)

dbmamaz
04-27-2010, 08:40 PM
We dont have cable, so we dont watch a whole lot of tv. The kids do watch some movies, and i'm seriously considering getting netflix - mostly just cuz its so cheap anyways, and the video store down the street went out of business. But computers .. . urgg. I've thought about it, but i think we're too far gone. live, breath computers

Firefly_Mom
04-27-2010, 08:50 PM
i'm seriously considering getting netflix - mostly just cuz its so cheap anyways, and the video store down the street went out of business. But computers .. . urgg. I've thought about it, but i think we're too far gone. live, breath computers

One of the things I LOVE about Netflix is that it has an "on demand" feature where you can watch things instantly on your computer (or your tv, if it's equipped). My son often watches history and science shows on there using this feature.

dbmamaz
04-27-2010, 08:54 PM
One of the things I LOVE about Netflix is that it has an "on demand" feature where you can watch things instantly on your computer (or your tv, if it's equipped). My son often watches history and science shows on there using this feature.

Yes, i'm trying to decide if I can drop discovery streaming because of this, or not. Its not as well organized for searching, and probably doesnt have nearly as much educational material for my 6 yo as discovery streaming does. I'm thrilled about the streaming, we'll probably use that MORE than the rentals

Firefly_Mom
04-28-2010, 04:05 AM
Cara - We've never had Discovery streaming, so I can't offer any comparisons. They do have tons of Discovery, Nova, BBC, and PBS science documentaries, though.

camaro
04-28-2010, 11:33 AM
Oh, I'd love to get Netflix streaming but sadly it's not available in Canada. Even if it was, I wouldn't have the bandwidth to use it. So for a substitute I try to find torrents of interesting shows from Discovery/History/etc. It's easier to deal with torrents using our satellite internet than streaming.

It would be very hard to give up our TV and computers. Fortunately we tend to watch better programming. We shudder at so-called reality shows. While the boys might watch a bit of the usual kids programming (Spongebob), some of their favorite shows are Sid the Science Kid and Popular Mechanics for Kids. They also love Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs. I also often write down things for them to search for online that might interest them. Wikipedia and YouTube keep them away from their games for quite a while sometimes. And yesterday, to our amazement, Mitchell actually asked to play some online math games!

Snoopy
04-28-2010, 12:19 PM
And yesterday, to our amazement, Mitchell actually asked to play some online math games!

OMZ, David, that's the day you'd been waiting for since last Fall, isn't it?!? So excited for you and Mitchell!