PDA

View Full Version : Last Day of PS

Pilgrim
06-21-2011, 07:01 PM
DD wrapped up her school year today. She really wanted to finish out the year, and we agreed it was a good idea.

After school today, she skirted the issue of her report card. I assured her I wouldn't be upset with anything in it, so long as she's tried hard. She said, "Even a D?" And I reminded her that a D just shows that a subject was challenging her, and that lots of people get D's, including me. I also reminded her we won't have grades when HSing.

The anxiety over grades and the importance placed on them, rather than the learning itself has always irked me. Just another reason to look forward to HSing. BTW, we plan on taking off a few weeks from any school work, then get into a light load for the summer, then full-fledged school come September.

Stella M
06-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Pilgrim, that's something I really value about homeschooling - the ability to assess a child's progress without grades. I like the way you explained a 'D' to your dd. Sounds like you have a good plan for easing her into h/s. Hope you guys enjoy your break!

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
06-21-2011, 07:19 PM
Second graders get letter grades?! That's crazy.

The mother of one of my son's kindergarten classmates asked me how I will know if he's making progress without teacher assessments and standardized tests. I told her that, unlike public school teachers, I can assess him in every subject every day. No child left behind, indeed. :)

MarkInMD
06-21-2011, 07:44 PM
As someone who stressed over getting a B and to whom a C or lower was the end of the world, I now refuse to let my kids be defined by those letters. My parents never pressured me. The system made me pressure myself. It's a problem for kids with dispositions like I had. Good for you for telling her the truth. And good luck with planning for next year! Have fun!

Eileen
06-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Congratulations! My dd is finishing up PS 2nd grade on Friday. I feel like this year will never end! :p

Laina
06-21-2011, 08:32 PM
My dd's last day was yesterday! I feel such a sense of relief and freedom already. I guess we have to change our signatures now that we're official, huh? :)

Oh, regarding the report cards--dd got a report card saying she doesn't stay on task in large and small groups along with her standardized testing results (yes, they do this in K), which showed she is at the 99th percentile for reading. I was surprised she was that high for reading, but I thought it shed some light on why she isn't "meeting the standard" for being focused during group work. She was probably bored.

Pilgrim
06-22-2011, 12:25 AM
My dd's last day was yesterday! I feel such a sense of relief and freedom already. I guess we have to change our signatures now that we're official, huh? :)

Yes! Thanks for all the support. We are really looking forward to it.

Kylie
06-22-2011, 07:05 AM
Congrats and welcome (officially) to homeschooling.

I hope to never have to grade my children their entire schooling. Unless we are undertaking some type of practice for college or the like.

WindSong
06-22-2011, 08:02 AM
Woohoo, it's official! When we first started hsing last year, my ds had a difficult time adjusting to the idea of no grades. He still likes to "grade" his math for his own peace of mind. But, I feel such a sense of freedom not needing grades to see progress. Enjoy your summer break!

clancariens
06-22-2011, 08:22 AM
Working for a grade is one of the aspects of homeschooling that we hope to completely slough off. I've already seen it as a major obstacle in unschooling our three kids this year -- they have been conditioned in this dogma that an "A" means something and is the pinnacle of success -- even if they don't retain a thing after the test.