PDA

View Full Version : I Challenge You....

Topsy
04-26-2010, 08:14 AM
I'm making a challenge to my sons this week. I found this great blog post (http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-great-tutorial-websites-learn/) on MakeUseOf about five different tutorial sites on the web. One of my fave things about the net is all the terrific "how to" info available. So I decided to pass these sites along to my boys and challenge them to try something absolutely new this week! To find out HOW to do it, and then to follow through with the instructions. I thought this would be an awesome project for unschoolers, but it certainly doesn't HAVE to apply just to interest-led learners...ANY homeschool could do this...

Have your kiddo(s) figure out something they've been wanting to learn how to do...watch/read one of the tutorials with them, and then help them follow through with their project!

Come on...you know you can't resist a challenge!! :p

Topsy

Shoe
04-26-2010, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the link Topsy. Sounds like a great idea.

Riceball_Mommy
04-26-2010, 10:48 AM
Maybe I'll find a tutorial on knitting. I keep saying I want to learn how. Also I wonder if there is a article on photography for preschoolers... I'll have to check that out.

Snoopy
04-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Hmmm, think I can challenge my daughter to make us some Snickers bars (http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-Snickers-Candy-Bar-Recipe/)? Yeah, that sounds like the type of challenge she'd like... lol.

elinnea
04-26-2010, 02:07 PM
What a great idea!

Museling
04-26-2010, 08:53 PM
Maybe I'll find a tutorial on knitting. I keep saying I want to learn how.

have you been introduced to the Mecca that is Ravelry (http://www.ravelry.com)? I apologize in advance for the hours you will likely lose looking through all the patterns. What's great too is they have groups with links to tutorials on how to knit. My favorite is this one (http://www.knittinghelp.com/).

Riceball_Mommy
04-26-2010, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the links. I haven't seen Ravelry yet, I'm going to check out both those sites later. I have some yarn, I'll have to see if I can find some knitting needles.

hjdong
04-26-2010, 11:43 PM
James picks a goal each month; I try not to get involved in the picking, except that it can't be a computer game goal 2 months in a row. He's stressing a little this month because he known he's a little behind in his goal (reading a certain number of chapters in his book). But . . . good. He hasn't failed yet, and there's something to be learned from failure. Anyway, learning something entirely new might be a direction to nudge him in.

reversemigration
04-27-2010, 08:53 AM
It sounds like a neat idea - I'm having trouble opening the site, though...I'll have to see if it's me or the site.

Firefly_Mom
04-27-2010, 07:29 PM
You're right - I can't resist a great challenge! I know that Cody really likes watching the different tutorials on YouTube (especially the guitar ones). We'll have to see what other ones we can find :)

CroppinMom
04-28-2010, 06:29 PM
What a cool place for ideas! Thanks for sharing Topsy.

2much2luv
05-04-2010, 02:18 AM
What a beautiful idea. :)

hockeymom
05-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Maybe I'll find a tutorial on knitting. I keep saying I want to learn how. Also I wonder if there is a article on photography for preschoolers... I'll have to check that out.

I agree with Museling--Ravelry is awesome.

I learned to knit using youtube--seriously! They have very simple videos that take all the mystery out of it (well, most of the mystery anyway!). The book Stitch 'n Bitch by Debbie Stoller is great too--her instructions are very clear (although I found watching the videos really helpful in addition). Have fun! ;)

As for photography--just give your kid your camera and watch them figure it out. A point and shoot digital is best for a preschooler, but my son started on a bigger digital model with big lens by the time he was 4. Probably because I have a camera stuck in his face all the time, he documents everything now on his own. He recently took a bunch of pictures at a favorite cafe in Portland (Maine) that has a biker theme--the staff was pretty impressed that he knew exactly what he was doing (and that I wasn't nervous about handing him my $800 camera!).