PDA

View Full Version : Secular Homeschooling "Big Shots" ???

Topsy
04-26-2010, 07:43 AM
I was wondering if anyone has a person in the world of secular homeschooling that you admire or are intrigued by, and would like to read an interview with that person? Is there a secular homeschooling "big shot" that you want to hear more about? Let me know, and I just might be able to do a feature about them on SHS.com!!

Melyssa
04-28-2010, 12:22 AM
Deborah Markus, the creator of Secular Homeschooling Magazine! Other than that, not sure but would love to see who others come up with.

Firefly_Mom
04-28-2010, 02:56 AM
Hmm - Rebecca Rupp, Grace Llewellyn, John Taylor Gatto (OK, technically not a "homeschooler", but I love every interview and article I've ever read), and Mary Griffith. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Shoe
04-28-2010, 07:40 AM
I second Rebecca Rupp. I've also been very fascinated by the classical approach recently, so would like to add Jessie Wise and Susan Wise Bauer.

Topsy
04-28-2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!! I'll get to work trying to get interviews with these folks...

Snoopy
04-28-2010, 10:25 AM
I would like to see an interview with secular homeschooled kids who graduated. How did being a homeschooler and particularly a secular homeschooler feel for them? What suggestions might they have for us (kids and parents)? What did they like/not like? Any regrets? Did they feel prepared for the world at large? What did their parents do that they feel were particularly beneficial to them?

I can read the experts and the theories on my own. I would love real stories from the trenches and from the kids' POV.

Firefly_Mom
04-28-2010, 01:48 PM
OK, had to come back and add Tammy Takahashi after you "liked" her on FB! I always liked reading her articles in HEM.

Topsy
04-28-2010, 09:11 PM
OK, had to come back and add Tammy Takahashi after you "liked" her on FB! I always liked reading her articles in HEM.

LOVE Tammy's writing! I'm really looking forward to her new book in a few months (and really hoping I can give away one here at SHS) ;)