PDA

View Full Version : ISBN scanner and books - anyone?

QueenBee
06-17-2011, 06:26 PM
I have hundreds and hundreds of books. Most were gifts. I've gone through, purged, and reduced. But we still have MANY books.

I try to keep things loosely by subject, and that works in obvious instances (biography, geography, science, etc.). It doesn't work for novels. Of which I have MANY. In fact, I've purchased or taken free books only to find out we already own it. Argh. I have tried alphabetical by author, reading level, etc... nothing sticks.

So I'm wondering if anyone uses a digital ISBN scanner; and if so, which one and are you happy with it? I'm looking at one with memory so I don't need to be plugged in. I'm thinking this way I can at least see what I own. I'd love to hear from anyone with experience before I buy! :)

Jess24
06-20-2011, 12:31 PM
First off, I didn't even think about one of these until I read your post. So I have to say thanks for bringing it up. Of course, afterwards I started searching and found a few apps for my iPhone. The one I like the best is My Library. Now I can keep track of all the books my girls read from the library (yeah!!!) and have now realized that by catagorizing the books, I can even keep track of what they read from year to year. And I have it handy on my phone so I can just scan them in as they check them out. I have been wanting to keep a book inventory, but was overwhelmed by the thought of it or I get distracted and forget to keep track. This makes it so much easier. I was walking around my house last night scanning all kinds of books. :D

So again, thank you, thank you, thank you!

QueenBee
06-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Wow! I'm glad that my question helped! I didn't even think about looking at apps...
I wonder if there's a comparable app for the Droid as I don't have an iPhone.... =)

mamaraby
06-21-2011, 06:08 PM
I'm with Jess24...I hadn't even thought of it until I saw your post. I also hadn't even thought about using it to track books that we've read from the library. I've always been bummed that in order to the library to keep track of it, I also have to be willing to have my reading history available for supeona. I'm not comfortable with certain governmental agencies able to snoop around in the books I read so I've always kept the history function turned off. This would be a nice way to get around that.

OP - I'm sure if there is an iPhone/iPad app there has to be something similar for Droid.

laundrycrisis
06-21-2011, 09:43 PM
I do not have an ISBN scanner. But I do have a lifetime account at librarything and I love it. It took me about a month to get everything entered. I can sort it all into as many categories as I want to create. It has been very helpful.

Kylie
06-24-2011, 08:42 AM
I have lib ray thing with one of their scanners. I'd have to say that at least 50% of my books were not retrievable using the scanner though...australian and not entered into the system.

Now that app sounds absolutely fabulous. I am a huge second hand book shopper, and have doubled up a few times. This would really help.

RahRah
07-02-2011, 06:04 PM
I use Collectorz.com Book Collector (http://www.collectorz.com/book/) for my database and use a hand scanner to scan books in - super easy and fast! Best part is that it synchs with my phone and iPad, so when I'm out and about I can check and see if I already have a book I'm interested in (I'm notorious for buying more than one copy of some books - frustrating, but happens)!

QueenBee
07-02-2011, 07:28 PM
I saw Collectorz and will check it out.
But in the meantime - Android does have an app almost exactly like the ipod version. Kylie - I've come across the same problem. I think older books aren't the correct format for scanning. I'm thinking of paying one of the kids to enter the books this summer (it's a big job)...
So glad for this forum! I learn something new every day!

Kylie
07-03-2011, 06:14 AM
mmmm yeah I have spent the time cataloging about 1700 books but a part of me feels like I have wasted my time.

The my library app sounds very good, but man I'd have to go through all of my shelves again!

Jess have you been using it?

Jess24
07-04-2011, 05:16 PM
I have been using the My Library app and I think it will do what we need. I don't have an extensive library to sort through though. For now I'm just scanning in the books the kids read from the library. According to the app there is a way to import book lists depending on how they are inventoried. The hard part is that it takes a little time to get things set up right. It doesn't always get the genre of book right and sometimes I have to manually put in the series and number. There are some kinks, but nothing too big for us to deal with. And DD1 likes going through and ranking all the books she has read. Usually with 5 stars. I do think that if I had a huge inventory I might be overwhelmed. I think the website for the app might explain things in even more detail on how to import other lists.

Some of the cool features: Listing books read and books you want to read; a list of whether you own the book, borrowed the book, etc. Also lets you enter who you've loaned books out to. You can enter book price. And I keep separate lists for each of my girls. As far as apps go, this is one of my better purchases.

Kylie
07-07-2011, 02:49 AM
I do like the loaning out feature, just not sure it is worth my time...thanks for responding though and giving an update.

Teri Eddy
07-07-2011, 11:45 AM
I am LOVING this app! I've got about half my library entered and even used the status feature when I loaned out a few books last week. Thanks for the linky!

First off, I didn't even think about one of these until I read your post. So I have to say thanks for bringing it up. Of course, afterwards I started searching and found a few apps for my iPhone. The one I like the best is My Library. Now I can keep track of all the books my girls read from the library (yeah!!!) and have now realized that by catagorizing the books, I can even keep track of what they read from year to year. And I have it handy on my phone so I can just scan them in as they check them out. I have been wanting to keep a book inventory, but was overwhelmed by the thought of it or I get distracted and forget to keep track. This makes it so much easier. I was walking around my house last night scanning all kinds of books. :D

So again, thank you, thank you, thank you!

LovingMyChildren
07-10-2011, 12:47 PM
I just found this option too. Goodreads.com You can put the title in and as
you're inputting, it starts bringing up likely suggestions. Then it's just a
click or two and you're done. Plus, if one of our computers fail, it's saved online.

You can also put in dates you read, a review, share with others, get suggestions on
books you might like and look at other friends' lists.

I know everyone wants to do it in the the easiest way possible. You
could categorize books into read, currently reading and want to read. So if
you found a good book that you wanted to read later, you could still add it.

They also have an iPod app and a barcode scanner. I haven't used this site yet but it seems like another option.