PDA

View Full Version : Hello from New Brunswick, Canada

hockeymom
04-25-2010, 02:33 PM
I am so glad I found this site! I am a brand new homeschooler currently located in a small town in southern New Brunswick (I am originally from northern California and came here via the US midwest). I had no idea that most of the homeschooling information out there would have a religious bent, so I am thrilled to finally find some like minded folks on this forum. I have yet to find anyone local, so if you're out there I'd love to meet you!

Snoopy
04-25-2010, 10:55 PM
Welcome, hockeymom! We have quite a few Canadians in the group, I believe. How old are your kids? (or is your child?)

Shoe
04-26-2010, 08:06 AM
Welcome to the site hockeymom. This place has been a great resource for me. I'm on the same side of the continent as you, but in New Hampshire, so hardly local. There is a Canadian Homeschoolers group here:http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=6 but I don't remember where the other Canadians are from (except camaro from Saskatchewan).

camaro
04-26-2010, 10:05 AM
Hi, hockeymom! Welcome to the site! I'm so happy to have another Canadian here. Yes, there's a few of us here, some from Ontario and some from BC as well as myself from Sask. Find the Canadian group in the groups section if you like. :)

Topsy
04-26-2010, 03:44 PM
Welcome to the site, hockeymom! I'm currently working on a still quite small list of secular homeschooling support groups in Canada that I hope to post soon. I wish I could say that I knew of one in NB, but as of right now, I only know of this Yahoo Group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hs-nb/) there. Might be worthwhile asking the question on their loop as to whether there are any other secular homeschoolers in the group! Hope that we can be a good source of "virtual" support though, in the meantime!

hockeymom
04-26-2010, 05:00 PM
It's great to see that there a few Canadians here! Can't wait to check out the group.

Schu00--NH isn't too far from us, really, so you're probably more "local" than any of the Canadians! As transplanted Americans, we spend most of our "free" time in Maine so if there's a Mainer or New England group I hope it's okay if I lurk there too! :)

Thanks Snoopy! I have one 7 year old son. We just took him out of grade 1 last month and already he is loving being able to learn at his own pace and on his level. His school was completely unwilling to offer enrichment to advanced kids , blahblahblah--I'm sure it's a story well known on this site. I have lots of mama guilt about yanking him away from his buddies, especially since I haven't found any local support, but so far he seems really happy so I'm trying not to stress about it.

Thanks for the warm welcome Camaro -- I look forward to spending more time here!

Good stuff Topsy! I've tried to join the Yahoo group but never heard back from the administrator. Not sure what happened there, but I'll try again.

Shoe
04-26-2010, 05:52 PM
Schu00--NH isn't too far from us, really, so you're probably more "local" than any of the Canadians! As transplanted Americans, we spend most of our "free" time in Maine so if there's a Mainer or New England group I hope it's okay if I lurk there too! :).
Yeah, not too far away. And definitely closer than a lot of the other Canadians on the site. My wife has a lot of her extended family in the north east corner of New Brunswick (Shippegan and Caraquet area), and others across the Quebec border in the Gaspesie, so we pass through NB from time to time.

I think I've seen a few people from Massachusetts and Connecticut, but I haven't seen anyone else from Maine or New Hampshire around here so far...