PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do archery?

Eileen
06-15-2011, 01:04 PM
My dd was really intrigued by the archery demo at the Ren Faire and wants to try it. I found a club that has an open shoot for ages 8 and up every Friday night for $10, so I'm going to take her and see if she enjoys it. If so I think I'm going to sign her up. :)

Accidental Homeschooler
06-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Archery sounds like fun. We are doing fencing. My 13yo dd is going to do two camps this summer and hopefully join a homeschool fencing class in the Fall. I might try my 5yo in fencing in the Fall also, but I am thinking that a kid who gets upset if her sock seams are not lined up will not go for the fencing pads, mask and gloves.

Eileen
06-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Fencing sounds pretty cool. I love to watch people doing it. I don't think my dd would like that so much, since it's directly competitive. She does better when she's only competing against herself.

MrsLOLcat
06-15-2011, 06:16 PM
My son has a bow and arrow but doesn't do formal archery. He just enjoys shooting the crap out of paper targets stapled to a box full of polyfil stuffing :) I'd love to get him into archery, though.

Eileen
06-15-2011, 08:45 PM
It's funny, it would never have occurred to me to just let her loose with a bow. LOL. Part of that is that we don't have the kind of property where that would be practical. We have about a quarter of an acre on a corner lot with houses on either side about 20 yards away. I doubt the neighbors would be ok with it. But anyway, here in NJ there are lessons for every damn thing. Everything has to be a pursuit of some kind. Even I think that way, though when I notice this tendency it embarrasses me.

Pefa
06-15-2011, 09:32 PM
Archery is so popular around here that you have to sign up for the classes way in advance (and there's like a two year waiting list for the homeschooling class). ES did archery for three or four years B1 for a couple - then my work schedule changed so it wasn't practical anymore. No bow hunters in the family, but the boys will still target shoot a couple of times a year.

Pilgrim
06-15-2011, 10:14 PM
We are doing it as part of our PE req. this year. There are two ranges within 30 minutes, and I plan to set up targets in the yard ( we have five acres). We're all excited about it!

MoonSprite
06-16-2011, 05:54 AM
My ds12 is in J.O.A.D. Archery here. He loves it (and we are thrilled he gave it a try!) He is our child with Atypical Autism, and he is not particularly fond of sports at all - but he loves this. And one of the ranges here has special daytime J.O.A.D. times specifically for homeschoolers, which works out great since I don't drive (so couldn't get him to the nighttime classes, when most of the other J.O.A.D. times were) but DH works nights - so he is able to take him to the daytime ones. Yay!
It's great for ds, and also because it is something he can use in the SCA too.

Dutchbabiesx2
06-17-2011, 01:14 AM
we just started an archery class, today was the 3rd class out of 6. My 7 yr old was hitting the center of the target the 1st day and my 8 yr old the second day. We have a very nice indoor center that has a great class, I missed the HS mom's night out tonight, it was our 2nd archery night, then we go for dinner and drinks, Dads are on Friday nights for $9 with equipment and instruction for 1hr! I really like the set up in our town!

squiremouse
06-19-2011, 11:33 PM
I had my Boyo do archey classes last year. It was terrible. The teacher everyone raves about was horrible, the safety chat was nothing, and she didn't even watch the kids shoot. My kids have shot at Pennsic (SCA big activity) where nice people donate thier time to make sure no one gets hurt, and other SCA events. My son has also shot at Cub scout camp, and while niether kid is particularly good (lack of practice more than anything) they enjoy it. Though both kids ahve asked to get a spear to chuck at stuff. LOL

Kylie
06-20-2011, 05:30 AM
Sounds cool. We have an archery range about 3km from our house and we only called in there for the first time last week.

I'm still not certain on it though.

MrsLOLcat
06-20-2011, 05:36 PM
It's funny, it would never have occurred to me to just let her loose with a bow. LOL. Part of that is that we don't have the kind of property where that would be practical. We have about a quarter of an acre on a corner lot with houses on either side about 20 yards away. I doubt the neighbors would be ok with it.

Yeah, it's one of those sports where having space and land is a plus. We let him loose in the yard with a pellet gun, too. He's really good with it and enjoys watching the clay targets (stationary) fly to bits.