PDA

View Full Version : first summer of HSing . . .connecting with PS friends

Dutchbabiesx2
06-14-2011, 08:58 PM
friends of mine and of our kids'!

We pulled our boys last October, so we have nearly 1 school year under out belt.

Today was the first of the playdates, and luckily the mom stayed to give me some adult conversation! I really enjoyed connecting with her again, one of my real friends, though we hardly see each other.

I'm happy to see many of these people, but talk always goes back to PS. I am making a point to say nice things about kids we have known in the past and to keep my kids connected with kids they have met over the last couple of year. I like to share my new view on situations and contribute to a conversation.

Anyone else who is venturing into their first summer since they've pulled their kids from PS?

I find that moms are curious in a positive way and I am honest about the successes and struggles just as they can be with their own child, I am hoping to connect on that mom level, I understand the joys and struggles of being a parent as PS mom or HS mom- parent to parent, not that my choices are better than yours point of view- I'm so over that!

feeling in a good place.

KristinK
06-14-2011, 09:17 PM
yay for a good playdate...I hope it's the start of a summerfull :) I have some really good friends who I never see during the school year, and I have my fingers crossed that I'll see them a few times this summer. Always nice to reconnect (and these are people that totally "get" my desire to homeschool, etc).

MrsLOLcat
06-14-2011, 10:27 PM
...luckily the mom stayed to give me some adult conversation!

You mean... some parents don't??? I had a playdate today that was a mix of homeschool parents and PS parents. I just invited my friends and their kids over and told them I was pretty much holding an 'open house.' We parents sat around and chatted on and off for three hours while the kids played and ate and played some more. There are times when I attend an event where I'm the only HS parent, and as long as the parents aren't sitting around griping about the schools themselves, it's not too awkward. It's probably helpful that I have lots of friends whom I met in a parental setting, not an educational setting, years before our kids were school-age. I actually find it harder during the school year when my friends are meeting up for coffee or lunch and I can't go unless I bring my son, and he does NOT want to sit around for 90 minutes listening to women gab!

Stella M
06-14-2011, 10:28 PM
That's nice you all had a good playdate :) Not my first summer - hey, not even summer! - but I do enjoy school holidays here when I get to catch up with our ps ( read secular ) friends. They've always been great about homeschooling, probably because I try to share the whole story of homeschooling, success and failures, as you do, Dutchbabies.

Wishing everyone having their first h/s summer a peaceful and restorative break.

Dutchbabiesx2
06-15-2011, 11:03 AM
You mean... some parents don't???

typically in my circle of friends playdates are also 'please keep my child/children so I can get to an appointment/hair cut/ work out . . .it is an exchange, I watch theirs they watch mine, then after there is a short time for adult conversation as you give your children 50 warnings that departure is coming!