PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Washington State

elinnea
04-24-2010, 08:17 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm so happy to have found this group. I just stumbled across it while I was trying to find some recommendations for a secular science program. I am a native Washingtonian but lived for several years in Germany (my dh is German and our two oldest were born there). We moved back to Washington when my oldest was to start school as homeschooling is illegal in Germany. My sons are 11 and 8 and my daughter is almost 2.

I enjoy reading, family history, Volkswalking, sewing and spending time with my kids! Can't wait to get to know all of you better.

Shoe
04-25-2010, 12:20 PM
Welcome to the site. There seem to be a lot of people from the Pacific North West around here If you haven't done so already, you might want to check out the "Groups" section to help find others in your state. This site has been a great resource for me and there are lots of nice folks around.

Snoopy
04-25-2010, 12:24 PM
Welcome to the group! What's Volkswalking?

Melyssa
04-25-2010, 05:30 PM
Welcome to the site! I am in Washington also.

elinnea
04-26-2010, 02:45 AM
Thank you all for the warm welcome. :)

Nathalie- Volkswalks are non-competitive walking events. For me it is the perfect family sport. Usually there are two different routes to choose from (5k or 10k), even younger kids are able to walk 5k and my boys were able to do the 10k by about 4 or 5 years old. My kids are 11, 8 and almost 2 so it's nice to be able to do something we can ALL participate in. Since it's not race we can go at our own pace and just enjoy spending time together. I've had some GREAT dicussions with my kids during our walks. Most of the events are free (another plus) unless you want to earn "credit". Earning credit is basically officially logging the amount of events and kilometers you have walked. After a certain number you get a certificate, patch and pin. The fee is pretty small so I do that for my two older boys as it is a sort of fun incentive. You can read more about Volkswalking at http://www.ava.org We've seen things and been different places that we probably would not have been to otherwise so that has been nice too.

Snoopy
04-26-2010, 01:15 PM
Cool! I was trying to access the AVA site this weekend but I kept on getting an error message. Thanks for the explanations. I think there might be some events near me, we might have to try it too, ... errr, later on in the year when it's not so darn hot. We do some orienteering and we walk on our local trail. We love orienteering. I'm a lazy competitor so we take our time and spring to the finish :)

Topsy
04-26-2010, 04:28 PM
Wow! I'm getting bowled over by the number of Pacific Northwesterners around these parts, lately!! Welcome elinnea!! Thanks for the education on Volkswalking...I had no idea this existed, but I did a quick check and we do have a local club. Very cool!

Topsy

Wilma
04-26-2010, 05:18 PM
Welcome! We have a mom in our co-op who has done some volkswalking and she said it is a lot of fun. We should check it out!

shiawase
11-26-2011, 08:13 AM
Hi Elinnea, I homeschool our daughter born March 2009 in English and plan to send her to German day school once she is of age to be admitted. I'm from the US but for now plan to continue to be in Germany (currently in Hamburg).