PDA

View Full Version : Your Favourite CM-Style Biographies

Stella M
06-11-2011, 09:04 PM
Ahem...notice the way I remembered not to use the terms 'living books' or 'twaddle free' ?

I'll be back soon with a list but feel free to share your suggestions in the meantime.

farrarwilliams
06-11-2011, 09:13 PM
So you mean just... biographies. But not of the sort that dh was making fun of in the library the other day when he pulled three different biographies of Chester Arthur off the shelf and pointed out how absurd it was that such a thing even existed. And I had to say, well, publishing companies make these things because teachers assign kids to do reports about every president...

I really like all the ones by both Demi and Diane Stanley. Different, but both good. Also, the ones by Peter Sis, like his one about Darwin and his one about Galileo. And there's a new series that comes to mind called the real princesses which is surprisingly good. Oh, and the D'Aulaires' ones. Oh, and the Jean Fritz ones. Oh, and there's one about Elizabeth Cady Stanton called Elizabeth Leads the Way which I like. And one about Sequoyah that I read at the Portrait Gallery for a program I did. And I like Carole Weatherford's one about Harriet Tubman...

Honestly, I could go on and on. There are SO many good picture book biographies from the last decade that it's insane.

Teri
06-11-2011, 10:27 PM
The Kathleen Krull Giants of Science series is really good.

farrarwilliams
06-12-2011, 09:21 PM
I'm still waiting to hear Melissa's favorites. :)

Stella M
06-12-2011, 09:52 PM
I forgot :) Also, I was busy typing out the red velvet cupcake recipe for you all...

Here's two, beside the ones you mentioned ( which I also love, especially the Diane Stanley ones.)

The Story of George Washington Carver by Eva Moore. Loved, loved, loved this one! It's the reason I cried when Obama was elected, just thinking about what GWC would have made of it all, being born into slavery as he was.

Mark Twain and the River by Sterling North. You know how a good biography makes you feel you know the subject, flaws and all ? I will always feel that Twain was a friend after reading this to the kids.

I'll add some more later, when I dig them out of the bookshelves.

Who is Chester Arthur ??

farrarwilliams
06-12-2011, 11:38 PM
Chester A. Arthur was an American president - he took office after that anarchist shot Garfield. He's not really important in the grand scheme of American presidents though. Certainly not They Might Be Giants songworthy like James K. Polk.

Stella M
06-12-2011, 11:44 PM
Ah, a president! Sorry to say I'm not really up on my US Presidents - first and the last few is about it :)

farrarwilliams
06-12-2011, 11:45 PM
Another one occurs to me... Ahoy! Ahoy! Are You There? by Robert Quackenbush about Alexander Graham Bell. It's totally weird. And Quackenbush is a totally weird illustrator to do a long form picture book biography - he's very cartoonish and his art doesn't look serious at all. But somehow it works. I loved it. We also read a wonderful one about Edison which was on the long side but which I can't recall the title of.

farrarwilliams
06-12-2011, 11:46 PM
It's okay, Melissa, I'm not especially up on Australian prime ministers.

Batgirl
06-13-2011, 09:06 PM
Just a side note: Sterling North also wrote a book called Rascal, a wonderful account of the pet racoon he had as a boy. I'd never thought to look into anything else he might have written. Thanks for the recommendation, Melissa!

Of course, our library doesn't have it. Another one for the Amazon wishlist, I guess.

Pefa
06-14-2011, 05:48 PM
Off topic - Chester Arthur is the only US president who might not have been born in the US. US/Canada borders were vague until quite recently.

George Vs George is a good book contrasting Washington and King George.