PDA

View Full Version : "I wouldnt have the patience"

dbmamaz
04-23-2010, 10:57 PM
DH worked from home this morning, and took the afternoon off, so that I could run my 14 yo in to get blood drawn before he ate, and then take my daughter to the rheumatologist this afternoon.

So, he's worked from home a few other days, but those days went very smoothly. This morning did not. Ds 6 threw a fit on the floor refusing to do the work I wanted him to do. I admit, it was a slightly different routine - our usual is, first we clean the table, then i read to him while he plays w toys. I only had about 45 minutes (by the time we got started) before i had to get ready to go, and we'd been putting off making our animal page for too long - we read about kangaroos 2 weeks ago!

So when Raven was on the floor screaming, I started to talk about a time out, and dh distracted Raven, twice. Then he started getting mad. Finally I convinced him to let me handle it. I told him we'd be doing a time out if he didnt come do the work. I gave him a few warnings, and dragged him in to the time out. (Then I went to wake my daughter). When I came back, Raven actually said he was sorry, and he came and we did the kanagaroo page together, no problem. And then he was allowed to play, as usual.

Meanwhile, of course, I had to redirect my 14 yo back to his work twice, plus calmly help him remember what he could do when he didnt know what 40/6 was.

dh turned to me and said "I wouldnt have the patience".

I take that as a major compliment! (I think). After all, keep in mind I'm home schooling my boys BECAUSE they were too hard for most public school teachers to handle.

otoh . . .the rheumatologist said my 17 yo daughter has fibromyalgia. thats not such good news. But at least we have an answer. Now we need to get a medical withdrawal from her community college (she hasnt been to classes in 2 weeks, and we spotty for 4 weeks before that), and start physical therapy. And she still thinks shes' moving out of the state when she turns 18 in 5 months, with no work experience exept 1 free-lance graphic arts job. Sigh.

Snoopy
04-23-2010, 11:27 PM
I would take it as a compliment too :)

I totally admire those of you who homeschool more than 1 child. I have 6 at home and life is hectic but let's face it, 5 of them are gone most of the day and I only homeschool 1. Noah is pretty easy-going but there are days when we don't click, he and I. Usually it's when when neither of us wants to really work but I still want him to be focused on what he's doing and do his best and then he gets whiny and teary-eyed and I get really impatient. On those days, I should just let him do what he wants to do because we both end up having a bad day and not much gets done anyway. Thankfully, this doesn't happen very often.

Sorry to hear about Heron's diagnostic. I didn't know they had physical therapy for fibromyalgia. Wouldn't that make her hurt even more?

dbmamaz
04-23-2010, 11:45 PM
excercise hurts, but if you keep it up, it helps you get better. She has to start really slow - walking 5 minutes/day. Also, waking up at the same time every day even if you're still tired. Hopefully she'll do it.

Topsy
04-24-2010, 04:19 PM
I was diagnosed with Fibro at the same age as your daughter - - 17. (this is pretty miraculous because this was back in the late 80's when not many dr's even BELIEVED in fibromyalgia) I was actually relieved, because up until that time I had been inaccurately diagnosed with Juvenile Rheumatoid and a couple other things. It's never been an easy road, but I definitely have garnered a high tolerance for pain over the years! Wishing her the best as she navigates the ups and downs of the illness!!

dbmamaz
04-24-2010, 05:32 PM
Wow, Topsy, thanks for sharing that - it somehow does make it seem less crazy. Were you in a flair when dx'd and came out of it? She's been really sick for several weeks now. But hopefully, now that the doctor told her to work on a sleep schedule and excersise, she'll take it more seriously.