PDA

View Full Version : Zuchini Bread

dbmamaz
06-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Corrigan asked for the recipe - here it is. My current gluten-free flour mix is equal parts corn flour, soy flour, potato starch, arrowroot starch, coconut flour and quinoa flakes. But i first used this recipe with regular flour. It was Raven's favorite for years - he always wanted to bring it to school for snack, wanted to bring them to share, wanted them for his birthday instead of cupcakes . . . i always tried to make some banana muffins too, since other kids didnt like the idea of zuchini muffins. Oddly, its almost the only green thing he likes, other than raw snow peas.

ZUCHINI BREAD

zest of 2 lemons
3 eggs (or part subs)
1/2 c vegetable oil
1/2 c yoghurt (I used orange flavor)
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c white sugar
2 tsps vanilla
3-4 c grated summer squash
1 c mini chocochips (optional)
3 c flour (add 2 tsp guar if gf)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 and spray 2 loaf pans (3x5 or 4x8) with non-stick spray (or 2 muffin tins)

Grate squash in food processor if you have one, to save time. Grate the zest (lightly) in to a large bowl. Add and beat by hand eggs, oil and yoghurt. Mix in the sugars and vanilla. Mix in the squash and optional chips. (If the yoghurt is not orange, add a dash of OJ)

In a separate bowl, mix together flour, powder, soda and cinnamon

Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until just blended (do not overmix)

Put half in each prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in to center comes out clean (no batter stuck to it). Cool at least 5 minutes before removing from pan.

First time, I added a c chips to one loaf after it was I the pan, so we had a grown-up version and a kid-friendly version. Both were yummy!

dbmamaz
06-10-2011, 11:50 PM
well, zuchini is a summer squash . . .but you can use others . . . dont skip the zest, its really adds to the flavor

thrive247
06-17-2011, 04:24 PM
This sounds soooo good! And +1 for not having to cream butter and sugar together... yay oil! It's the little things that make me happy ;-)