PDA

View Full Version : Campfire Cooking

russ.man
06-03-2011, 09:45 AM
We tent camp often in the summer and I also take my scout troop on an annual camp out. I just got a GREAT book from the library! "The Scouts Outdoor Cookbook" by Christine and Tim Conners. Highly recommended! It features campfire cooking, but predominantly focuses on Dutch Oven cooking. My fourteen fourth grade Girl Scouts will be doing all of their cooking over the fire including, "Leaders Revenge" slow cooked beans!! One of our favorite campfire recipes is: stuff a caramel into a marshmallow, wrap the whole thing in crescent dough and cook over the fire in a pie iron. What is your favorite campfire recipe?

Marmalade
06-03-2011, 09:58 AM
We love to cook over the campfire!

My favorite super easy one is to dice some potatoes and wrap them in individual aluminum foil packs-with some butter and some garlic and then just let them roast. Super soft and delicious!

farrarwilliams
06-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Ooh, nice. I usually like to make chicken kebabs with veges and leave them in the marinade all ready to go. Add a little bread and it's a meal. I really like doing my camping meal prep ahead of time.

Greenmother
06-03-2011, 12:00 PM
We do the tin foil thing too, with bell peppers, onions and potatoes and butter. I also like to take fresh green beans and wrap them in bacon and cook them in a skillet over the fire. Mmmmmm.

Marmalade
06-03-2011, 12:50 PM
I bought one of these last year (The one in the picture at the top...from Walmart-for about $20)
http://www.get-camping.net/20080404/campfire-grills/

We never go camping but we do have a fire pit in our back yard just for campfire cooking! As a matter of fact-i think I want to do some this weekend!

Megan
06-03-2011, 02:35 PM
A slow country boil is super easy to do over the camp fire in a dutch oven. Water, crab boil seasoning, small red potatoes, corn on the cob, link sausage or kilbasa, and then shrimp right before you eat it. Or if you are camping where you can go claming or catch crawfish then you can rinse them off and throw them in too.

We also have a cast iron griddle, one side is flat and the other side raised like a grill. We do bacon and pancakes on it in the mornings. I usually put the bacon along the top and cook the pancakes at the same time so I don't have to worry about them sticking. I get the pancake mix that is the 'add water only' type.

I like the idea of the veggies in tin foil! I'm going to use that the next time we go camping. I've heard of some people who, before hand, take eggs and cheese/onions/ect. and cracks them into zip lock bags with the extras and then puts them in the cooler. Come morning when camping they empty them out into pie irons carefully and cook them like omelets. I haven't tried it yet but I want to.

russ.man
06-03-2011, 04:47 PM
We have done the ziploc bag omelets and just boiled them in a pot on the fire (single serving size.) Beware if using a pie iron...the eggs stick and they are difficult to clean. I speak from experience!
We do the tin foil thing quite a bit: adding sweet potatoes is my daughters favorite!
We also do asparagus right on the fire with just a bit of seasoning and roasted corn on the cob. Both just need to be soaked for a bit.
Okay, now I'm hungry...going to have to go start dinner!

Caryl
08-09-2011, 08:35 AM
My favorite one is when you take corn then wrap each one in foil and but it above the fire, Then you take them out and unwrap. Add some butter and salt and you are ready to enjoy the best meal ever:)

russ.man
08-16-2011, 01:13 PM
Love corn on the fire!!!! We usually just soak it in water for about twenty minutes and toss it right on the coals(in the husk)....the smoky, roasted flavor needs no butter or salt...My daughter likes prefers elote/mayo, lime, and chili on hers...Taking my troop camping tomorrow! Wish me luck!

JEJordan9
09-09-2011, 11:45 PM
Thanks! I need to check out that book! We're going camping on the beach in December! DH had an outdoor cookbook The NOLS Cookery it looks good too!

JEJordan9
09-09-2011, 11:46 PM
russ.man- how was the GS camping trip?