PDA

View Full Version : All Alone... what to do?

Snoopy
04-22-2010, 07:29 AM
OK so Noah is off with his dad for Bring Your Child to Work Day. Actually it'll be only a half day because I'll pick him up at lunchtime to go spend the afternoon at our friends' house (they have a pool!).

So what should I do with myself for about 3 hours? I COULD fold the laundry but that's no fun... read a book?

What would you do if you had a few hours to yourself?

LJean
04-22-2010, 07:59 AM
I would probably take a nap.
Is there something you have been wanting to do, but haven't had the time before now?

Shoe
04-22-2010, 08:02 AM
I'd either watch a movie (big movie fan here) or grab a book and read it at a local coffee shop. But if you've only got three hours, decide quickly...

Museling
04-22-2010, 09:25 AM
I would knit and find an old movie on netflix and watch it. Boo Laundry! Don't do it!

Wilma
04-22-2010, 09:39 AM
I would finish the bag I'm knitting and watch some tv. Maybe get in a run or a walk, depending on my mood.

melgriffin03
04-22-2010, 09:43 AM
I would get a good book or a good movie and curl up on the couch with a bowl of ice cream or some other yummy chocolaty goodness that I don't like for the kids to eat.

Snoopy
04-22-2010, 09:48 AM
I would probably take a nap.
Is there something you have been wanting to do, but haven't had the time before now?

No, not really. Noah is pretty independent when it comes to doing his work (I'm the one who keeps on wanting to butt in, lol!) so I actually get plenty of time to do what I want to do, just maybe not necessarily when I want to do it, which is why I sometimes stay up very late so I can read without getting interrupted every 5 minutes.

Well, I came home from dropping off my middle schooler at school and took a look at the living room and decided to fold the darn laundry. But I treated myself to some totally inane TV shows ("Snapped") while I folded it too :)

Now I think I'll go read a book in the backyard for the remaining 90 minutes of my free time. I really *should* be mopping and putting the laundry away, maybe even putting some school worksheets away in the appropriate binders, but that's just no fun, lol.

I keep on wondering what Noah's doing and how he's liking it. It's so weird to NOT have him here with me on a "school day". I sent his math and his reading with him but since the other kids were pulled out of school for this and are probably taking it easy, I told my husband to give him a break. The thing is there are 2 hours before the planned activities start and DH has to work those 2 hours and he's in the "boring" department (IT), not the cool game design departments so I don't think he has 2 hours worth of interesting things to show an 8 year-old boy who's not really a computer nerd.

I love reading what you would all do if you had 3 hours of free time... I guess I don't feel too bad about not wanting to do anything terribly productive since we all seem to want to use the time to relax instead of "getting ahead"!

reversemigration
04-22-2010, 10:13 AM
I'd put three more hours into the ongoing restoration of this wonderful but slowly-falling-down monster of a house. Not enough time to plaster, but enough finish fishing some cables up inside a wall. Strangely enough, this is kinda fun.

hjdong
04-22-2010, 11:01 AM
I would totally be organized. DH and James are keepers, me I get rid of things like no tomorrow. So time in the house to myself. They would come back to big black trash bags in the back of my car that they aren't allowed to touch, ready for Goodwill.

crstarlette
04-22-2010, 11:21 AM
I would watch episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Snoopy
04-22-2010, 11:28 AM
I'd put three more hours into the ongoing restoration of this wonderful but slowly-falling-down monster of a house. Not enough time to plaster, but enough finish fishing some cables up inside a wall. Strangely enough, this is kinda fun. You know, if you ever run out of things to do on your crumbling house, you can come work on my crumbling house.... hours of delightful entertainment, I promise, LOL. I love my hubby and he does try but a handyman, he is not. But he fixes my computer so I think it's a good trade-off!

So instead of reading, I ended up clipping all the coupons that I had been collecting for a few weeks (I love couponing!) outside on my backporch. The weather is lovely, my confederate jasmine plants are blooming so it smells delicious, I had the Vivaldi channel playing on Pandora on my iTouch, a cold glass of Diet Coke at the ready.... AHHHHHHHH. I only wish it could last a couple hours more. Alas, I now have to drive 1 hour to meet hubby and Noah for lunch and then we're on for an afternoon of fun and swimming at my friend's. Have a great day, everyone!

Melyssa
04-22-2010, 03:25 PM
I usually watch a movie or shows I have on the DVR so I can watch UNINTERRUPTED. It's a beautiful thing. LOL I don't have my crafty things unpacked yet from moving but I used to also work on crafts uninterrupted which is also a beautiful thing. LOL I haven't had any time alone though in months since we don't know anyone here and none of her classes are long enough to drop her and leave her, go home and go back, etc. I would LOVE some time alone. I don't see it anywhere in my future though.

reversemigration
04-22-2010, 03:53 PM
You know, if you ever run out of things to do on your crumbling house, you can come work on my crumbling house.... hours of delightful entertainment, I promise, LOL. I love my hubby and he does try but a handyman, he is not. But he fixes my computer so I think it's a good trade-off!

Given enough time (or monkeys, ala writing Shakespeare), you can fix anything. My brother-in-law tries to claim that he doesn't know how to fix things around the house, but all it takes is a willingness to make mistakes, cuss at them, and start over. ;)

Have fun with swimming!

Holly - I wish I could bag half of the packrat things in the house and forbid anyone to look within. I envy your powers!

Snoopy
04-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Given enough time (or monkeys, ala writing Shakespeare), you can fix anything. My brother-in-law tries to claim that he doesn't know how to fix things around the house, but all it takes is a willingness to make mistakes, cuss at them, and start over.

I think you forget a major part, and that is a wife who is willing to put up with crappy "repairs" in order to keep peace in the family. I am not this wife, lol.

callie
04-22-2010, 07:28 PM
Catching up on coupons sounds like a good use of time. That is what I did today too, hopefully you weren't as behind as I was. I had to throw away whole inserts that expired in March. :eek:

Callie

JinxieFox
04-22-2010, 07:40 PM
Well, let's see. I get 12 hours to myself every Saturday, so I normally try to get cleaning, writing or genealogy done. Then I go to the Earth-Based Group at the chapel on base, then we all migrate to the shoppette for chips and goodies, then half of us go play D&D together. That's what I actually do with my "Me Time" every week. :)

Hope you had a great day!

Snoopy
04-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Hey Callie, how have you been? Sounds about where I was too, but mine expired a couple of days ago. Arrgh. I have a bunch expiring next week and I really need to match them to current sales. I have several blogs that do that already earmarked in my Google Reader but then I get tempted to buy stuff I really don't need just because I can get a "good deal", lol.

Snoopy
04-22-2010, 08:15 PM
Well, let's see. I get 12 hours to myself every Saturday, so I normally try to get cleaning, writing or genealogy done. Then I go to the Earth-Based Group at the chapel on base, then we all migrate to the shoppette for chips and goodies, then half of us go play D&D together. That's what I actually do with my "Me Time" every week. :)

Hope you had a great day! Wow, Wendy, what a treat, and how lucky you are that you can get together with people who share the same interests as you. I like to read so that's a pretty solitary activity (book clubs don't appeal to me). Yes, I did have a great day! Noah had a fabulous time at Bring Your Child to Work Day (once again, proving that when I "force" them to do something, he usually ends up enjoying it!) and can't wait until next year to do it all over again. DH's workplace is pretty fun with tons of toys for the creative types... like a ball pit in the conference room so the kids got to jump in there and play videogame (without having to put coins in the arcade machines!) and eat unhealthy snacks and design their own game controller (on paper) and discuss their ideas for a videogame with adult mentors so he was in his element! Then I got to chat with my friend most of the afternoon while the kids were spashing around in the pool. It was very relaxing! I told Noah that we can't do "Bring Your Child to Work Day" with mom, since we do "Bring Your Mom to School Day" every day, lol.

CroppinMom
04-23-2010, 05:16 AM
With a couple of hours to myself I would probably spend the whole time trying to choose between taking a nap, reading a book, watching a movie, or clean house and effective get nothing done LOL Then I'd be mad at myself. I guess it's a good thing I don't have to worry about that too much, huh?

Glad you you enjoyed your morning of free time Nathalie!

hjdong
04-23-2010, 09:35 AM
Holly - I wish I could bag half of the packrat things in the house and forbid anyone to look within. I envy your powers!

With great power comes great resonsibility. Deciding what is truly precious, hearing, "Did you get rid of . . . We could use that someday," the never ending nature of the job. But in the end, it's worth it.