PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Oregon :)

Such Lovely Freckles
04-22-2010, 12:04 AM
Well, I don't have a profile picture yet, and was going to wait until I found one to introduce myself, but what the heck, here it goes.

My name is Ute (say Ootah). I'm a German citizen, living in Portland, Oregon, and I homeschool my nine year old daughter and my seven year old son. We started our homeschooling journey 5 years ago, and it was probably the best decision I have ever made. I'm incredibly grateful to be living in a country, where homeschooling is not illegal.

When I don't run around with the kiddos, I'm a writer, a friend, an avid baker, and lately I carry the lovely title of Parent Community Coordinator for Foundation Beyond Belief. I help secular parents start groups all around the country, a very rewarding but also very demanding job. I'm lucky to be married to a guy, who is working from home and can watch the kids for me, when I'm particularly busy.

Oregon is a delightfully secular state, but in our community we do have people from all walks of life and from different faiths. I find this to be a positive thing, as it teaches my children to be tolerant toward others.

Oh... and my latest obsession? Knitting socks!! Any other knitters here?

Well, I guess, that's me in a nutshell. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Ute
http://humanistathome.blogspot.com

Snoopy
04-22-2010, 12:46 AM
Welcome to the group! I went to college here in the States with a foreign exchange German student named Ute. Is that a pretty common German name?

Such Lovely Freckles
04-22-2010, 12:50 AM
How funny. Actually it's not very common at all... just a really old name. So everyone knows it, but nobody really likes it. :)

Firefly_Mom
04-22-2010, 03:04 AM
Oregon is a delightfully secular state, but in our community we do have people from all walks of life and from different faiths. I find this to be a positive thing, as it teaches my children to be tolerant toward others.

Welcome to the group! Yes, Oregon is delightfully secular :) That was one of the reasons we decided to move back a few years ago. Being around other inclusive people makes things so much nicer - for me AND my son! And yes, there are other knitters on here (though I'm pretty new at it, and haven't attempted socks yet).

LJean
04-22-2010, 08:00 AM
Hello and welcome!

Shoe
04-22-2010, 08:04 AM
Welcome to the site Ute. I look forward to knowing you better.

Such Lovely Freckles
04-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Thank you all for the friendly welcome. :)

reversemigration
04-22-2010, 10:28 AM
Welcome, Ute! (Count me in as someone who knew an Ute growing up.) I hadn't heard of the Beyond Belief foundation previously, but it looks like a worthy cause - and I'll have to check the podcast out as well.

hjdong
04-22-2010, 10:58 AM
I knit, and have knit socks, although I'm a sporadic knitter. At times of stress and boredom, I'm a mad knitter.

Topsy
04-22-2010, 09:06 PM
Oh... and my latest obsession? Knitting socks!! Any other knitters here?

You need to check out my buddy "Stone Age Techie's (http://stoneagetechie.blogspot.com/)" blog...I think you two would get along quite well!! So glad to have you here, Ute (LOVE the name, btw!)

Topsy

CroppinMom
04-23-2010, 05:32 AM
Welcome Ute! I am not a knitter but that is something I've always wanted to learn how to do. I think it is going to be my project next winter. I had also never heard of the Foundation Beyond Belief but it definitely something I'll be reading up on - it sounds like a very interesting program.

elinnea
04-24-2010, 07:24 PM
Hi Ute,

I lived for many years in Germany (Köln). My husband is German and my two oldest children were born there. Wo kommst Du denn her? I recently took up sock knitting too but I'm stuck on the heel part.

Wilma
04-26-2010, 10:22 AM
Hi Ute! I am a knitter! I am working on a knitting bag I found in Charmed Knits, which has patterns inspired by the Harry Potter series. I want to knit socks. I bought all the stuff to master magic loop and haven't started yet. Can't stand dpns! A woman in our co-op is a huge knitter and she sucked several of us in.

Riceball_Mommy
04-26-2010, 10:46 AM
Hi Ute, I don't knit but I keep hearing so much about it I'd like to try it. I do bake though. I just became a follower of your blog (love your posts), and I'm going to check out Foundation Beyond Belief too.

HS-Dad
07-28-2016, 10:41 PM
Hi Ute,

I just joined SHS and I'm exploring; I was looking for people in Oregon and found this thread you started in 2010. I'm really intrigued by your statement that Oregon is a delightfully secular state. We are in Central Oregon in a homeschooling group that calls itself open to all religions but is almost completely Christian. Theology is creeping into every class, and sometimes doing a lot more than creeping, and some of the conservative social viewpoints are not things we want our children around. I'm curious, are you in homeschool groups up there in Portland that are secular? It would be a drive for us on a regular basis, but I'm willing for a good group and not finding any where I am.