PDA

View Full Version : Car trip listening recs? Anybody familiar with Boomerang?

jar7709
05-29-2011, 02:38 PM
We are going on a few long car trips this summer and while we like music (the They Might Be Giants kids albums are in heavy rotation, because the grown-ups like them too) but have found that for us, for several hours of driving the spoken word helps more to keep the driver awake.

Stumbled across these folks online while looking for new listening material... http://boomkids.com/index.html#new-stuff Anybody familiar with them? I am really intrigued, we are very NPR-y family and the kids are starting to really pay attention to some of the NPR shows, but as much as I love This American Life and All Things Considered, sometimes the topics are too intense for my kids, especially on a lighthearted car trip.

We are also going to invest in some audiobooks (prob the Inkheart trilogy) for the longer stretches, but any additional recommendations would be welcome. :)

Teri
05-29-2011, 02:53 PM
We just read/listened to The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate and I would HIGHLY recommend it!
I have a one book per month membership to Audible and that has worked out fabulously. I put it on my ipod and we can listen to it through the stereo in the car.

jess
05-30-2011, 01:33 PM
Look at LibriVox, if you haven't already. Tons of classics available for FREE! The reader quality can be variable, but, well... FREE!!!!

Pefa
05-30-2011, 04:21 PM
Hank the cowdog. Definitely. I put one on with a 3yo a 5yo a 13yo (who was very skeptical) and myself. Within five minutes even the 13yo was laughing. In VT we can "borrow" by downloading audiobooks from local libraries. I don't know if other states have this program but it's great. I gave up my Simplyaudiobooks subscription once this came online.

camaro
06-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Another good option is "old-time radio", radio programs from the days before TV. My oldest boy (8yo) loves the old detective stories like Dragnet, Boston Blackie and the Adventures of Philip Marlow but there's everything imaginable out there like comedy, science fiction, mystery, drama, etc. You can often hear some of the old-time ads in the shows too which is interesting, too. iTunes has them as free podcasts but if you search in your favorite search engine for "old time radio" or "otr" you'll find them plenty of other places too.

Jilly
06-01-2011, 12:06 PM
My kids love audiobooks and will listen to most books for hours on end. I got them a year long subscription to Boomerang because I thought it was something they would enjoy. Unfortunately they hated it. The production value is really low, and the stories did not interest my kids at all.

Have your kids listened to the Classical Kid series (http://www.amazon.com/quot-Classical-Kids-CD/lm/1CNTUYUIW3C1T)? That is a good choice for long car trips.

Eileen
06-01-2011, 02:10 PM
How about some Roald Dahl? Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? Or my oldest's favorite, Danny, the Champion of the World. :)

dbmamaz
06-01-2011, 04:13 PM
there's another website, i think its called audible.com, which has some freebies. Oh, and storynory. My library has a few downloadable but burning to cd's was a bit of a PITA. I know one family who depends heavily on the Harry Potter series, but your kids are a bit young. The last one I remember getting out of the library (which the kids loved) was The Dragon in the Sock Drawer, I think. I found the narrator very annoying, tho. But same with Story Nory, truth be told. Her voice goes so high sometimes it hurts. The Dragon reader just REALLY whined when he was voicing the girl.