PDA

View Full Version : Struggling despite the research

blueheadlights
05-25-2011, 02:19 PM
I am having a hard time coming up with a style to follow, and yes I do need a style. I love the nature/magic/fairytale kind of approach of waldorf but don't like the control and overly structured way it is to be taugh and I'm not comfortable with what feels to me like religious aspects, I like some of the ideas of Charlotte Mason but again am not comfortable with the religious approach. I want curriculum to follow (i'm like that) but I am also relaxed about it in my own way. I feel like I'm going in circles and nothing is falling in to place for me style wise. What are your best experiences with nature and art based NON faithbased curriculum?

dbmamaz
05-25-2011, 07:35 PM
ages of your kids would be helpful. but really, if you want a curriculum, that MEANS you want someone to tell you what to do, which means there will be structure. I wonder if the real reason your stuck is that you really want to write your own curriculum but are afraid to try?

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
05-25-2011, 07:55 PM
Charlotte Mason is totally secularizable (is that a word?). We are using CM methods like narration and copywork and incorporating nature study and outdoor time (as weather permits in New England, anyways). Check out:

Secular Charlotte Mason blog: http://www.secularcm.com/
Secular CM yahoo group (very helpful for advice and ideas!): http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SecularCM/
Wonder in the Woods blog: http://wonderinthewoods.wordpress.com/

In other words, there are plenty of homeschoolers reaping the benefits of the CM method without the religious aspects and texts.

Stella M
05-27-2011, 12:47 AM
What she said :)

Waldorf is trickier. I used the art and craft and storytelling ideas when my girls were younger but didn't take the educational philosophy on board.

farrarwilliams
05-27-2011, 08:49 AM
I also thought it sounded like the OP might like to try CM. I also think it's fine to have an eclectic approach and piece different curricula together. Agreed with Cara that knowing the ages of the kids and what curricula the OP has tried might help.

blueheadlights
05-27-2011, 04:43 PM
I wrote up a response but it disappeared. The age of the child I'm looking for a style for is 5 so kindy type stuff. I looked at some of the links for CM and it looks like it might be a good fit. I don't mind doing my own curriculum to a point but in someways I want a break! With my older girls I basically design what we do independently, we do Jump Math but besides that it's all child led/me finding activities and experiences based around their interests. I just want a bit of a mental break and to have at least the first part of the year laid out for me, I figure that way I can pick and choose instead of starting from scratch. I guess I'd like waldorf/cm blend morning (is that even possible??? lol) and an unschooled afternoon.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
05-27-2011, 05:25 PM
Have you seen the kindergarten/"year 0" booklist at Ambleside Online? http://amblesideonline.org/00.shtml There are a couple books that may have religious themes, but the rest are wonderful stories and picture books (many of which you are probably familiar with, having older kids). Charlotte Mason started more formal lessons at age six. For a kindergarten year, lots of great books and time outside are really all you need for CM.

Stella M
05-27-2011, 06:32 PM
One of the lovely things about CM is not having to rush into academics with littlies. I also found the Year O stuff useful. There's a Year O forum as well, lots of nature and play ideas.

Batgirl
05-27-2011, 09:59 PM
I haven't had much experience with too much structured nature & art stuff, but if you'd like a curriculum or platform to use as a starting point, I always enjoyed the ideas at this site. This lady combines classical education and Charlotte Mason and has a do-it-yourself option for you to design your own curriculum. She is religious, but the curriculum is secular.

http://www.tanglewoodeducation.com/index.htm

Lou
06-30-2011, 12:27 PM
I'm finding that what I like, what appeals to me and what I am and how I do things are totally different. So my goals are to get closer to my likes and what appeals to me, but dropping the deeply engrained ways of who I am now and how I do things is not easy. :/

Kylie
06-30-2011, 07:04 PM
I'm finding that what I like, what appeals to me and what I am and how I do things are totally different. So my goals are to get closer to my likes and what appeals to me, but dropping the deeply engrained ways of who I am now and how I do things is not easy. :/ that is me exactly!!

We've eased into our eclectic style over years. If you need want some structure could you not just choose a math and language program and then go from there?

Lou
06-30-2011, 11:34 PM
that is me exactly!!

We've eased into our eclectic style over years. If you need want some structure could you not just choose a math and language program and then go from there?

I have bought and tried many curriculums over the past 5 months (yup...so far nothing really held on and said THIS IS IT...so the shelves are stocked with things I might pull from here and there, but nothing that felt right completely) however, I have purchased the MBtP curriculum recently...just bought the first concept to test it out. So far, what I see of it I like...

...I am going to have a goal of only two concepts per year instead of four...takes that 'structure' pressure off me some...and then I have Explode the code and Singapore math that both seem fairly simple to do if I want to add math and language to it...that is what I'm aiming to do come Sept 1. I'm TRYING to unschool all summer long and see how that goes...we have a big international trip coming up and I'm hoping it will slam bam the kids into learning thru experience then when we come home everyone should be in school and we can start our schooling without the begging for playdates because my kids will know all their friends are back in school. :) I'm also hoping the kids learn to love playing with each other over there several weeks of JUST THEM! heee, hee...

What I want in my heart and what I want in my head are polar opposites...ha, ha...

I should mention for the OP that I took a teaching style test and CM was my preferred method...so I try to include some CM ideas to our days...narrations, nature walks, etc...but I haven't been able to fully follow her method as much as I'd like to... :/

Kylie
07-01-2011, 03:17 AM
Oh dear I have so much unused curriculum it isn't funny lol!! I am hanging on to it though until at least the youngest is past it, just in case ;-)

I am slowly training myself to be ok with ok.....not everything cam be perfect or work perfectly!

Lou
07-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Oh dear I have so much unused curriculum it isn't funny lol!! I am hanging on to it though until at least the youngest is past it, just in case ;-)

I am slowly training myself to be ok with ok.....not everything cam be perfect or work perfectly!

Kylie ~ You make me feel better...thanks! :) I hope to slowly be OK with OK too!!! :) (maybe my son's perfectionism comes not only from his daddy's gene pool...eeks...I better not go there...can't claim that one, I'm too flexible...ha, ha..)

I'm guessing you are helping the OP feel better too!!! :)

Kylie
07-01-2011, 06:57 PM
It sure is a struggle and for me I think it is more to do with my control freak nature than anything. Something I'm guessing many homeschoolers have going on.

Learning to let go, be more flexible and just go with the flow ....goes against everything inside of me!

Lou
07-01-2011, 07:27 PM
It sure is a struggle and for me I think it is more to do with my control freak nature than anything. Something I'm guessing many homeschoolers have going on.

Learning to let go, be more flexible and just go with the flow ....goes against everything inside of me!

I made the comment that I thought it was a control freak thing once...because I'm sure I have control issues and the teachers/schools didn't fit up to my standards for my children...but when I made that comment I made it in a way that struck a cord in some folks and wasn't taken as casually as I meant it...ha, ha...but I do think homeschoolers have some control issues (not in a bad way) or they would not care and just let the wolves raise their kids...right???

studies show a bad parent teaching (not abusive) is better then a school/teacher situation...so apparently even when I'm lacking I still am better then the teachers that jacked up my son at school... ;P

Kylie
07-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Oh yes I mean control freak in as good way as that can be hehehe we all want what's best for our kiddo's hence why we don't have them in school.....sometimes I think I also need to get out of their way and let them get on with it, without having all of the plans, agendas and ideals in my head, you know!

Lou
07-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Oh yes I mean control freak in as good way as that can be hehehe we all want what's best for our kiddo's hence why we don't have them in school.....sometimes I think I also need to get out of their way and let them get on with it, without having all of the plans, agendas and ideals in my head, you know!

I know far too well... LOL ;)