PDA

View Full Version : Dinner and Drinks With My Fellow Homeschooling Moms

Topsy
04-21-2010, 10:09 AM
Just had to exclaim about how awesome it is to have a fun outing with other homeschool moms where you can share dinner and drinks and complain about your families without having anyone make a single judgment about you. If you only knew what a long road it was toward finding something like this in our area...(((whew!!!!)))

Our town is doing a two-day "small plate crawl" where 30 local restaurants are offering small plates of some of their best dishes for under $8 each. The idea is to try one small plate at one restaurant, and then crawl around to other places and get in on their dishes. It was SUCH a fun thing to do with other moms last night!!

Have I mentioned that I ADORE my local inclusive homeschooling group!!! :D

Snoopy
04-21-2010, 10:20 AM
That sounds awesome, Topsy! My small group has a monthly Moms Night Out (MNO) and we love it. It's tonight actually! Unfortunately, due to the distance between us, only 3 of us usually get together, and tonight it'll only be 2 of us, but still, it's fun to be able to get together and NOT have the kids around :)

hjdong
04-21-2010, 10:32 AM
I have a book club like that, only we're all walks of life eductionally speaking, place in life speaking. But, it is nice that we're all just supportive. Having the different perspectives from people who aren't judgemental, but interested and supportive once a month, keeps me sane.

dbmamaz
04-21-2010, 12:57 PM
i havent really found that good a support group yet - i mean i have a park day I co-founded, and we meet at the park and chit-chat while the kids play, but it seems like we are just too diverse . . . an active pagan who radically unschools, a tea-party activist who is classically home schooling, and me (hippy spiritual athiest eclectic with multiple mental health and food allergy issues in the family) . . and more recently, our home-school dad has been coming regularly, who is only home schooling one of his kids, again, after a 2-year break in public school. Thats the regulars. And more recently, a mormon (who used to be pagan) mom of 2 boys under the age of 5. Very odd group.

Topsy
04-21-2010, 01:57 PM
i havent really found that good a support group yet - i mean i have a park day I co-founded, and we meet at the park and chit-chat while the kids play, but it seems like we are just too diverse . . . an active pagan who radically unschools, a tea-party activist who is classically home schooling, and me (hippy spiritual athiest eclectic with multiple mental health and food allergy issues in the family) . . and more recently, our home-school dad has been coming regularly, who is only home schooling one of his kids, again, after a 2-year break in public school. Thats the regulars. And more recently, a mormon (who used to be pagan) mom of 2 boys under the age of 5. Very odd group.

Sounds like a great book to me, Cara. Just keep going and taking notes, and you're gonna have a bestseller on your hands one day. (Of course it ALSO sounds like a great beginning to a joke...."A pagan, a hippie, and a mormon walked into a bar....." ) ;)

Melyssa
04-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Sounds fun! I don't know ANY homeschool moms to do that kind of stuff with. For now we're an island unto ourselves. The only friends I've made here so far are not homeschoolers, go figure.

CroppinMom
04-21-2010, 05:23 PM
There is something about getting together with others that really understand what we do every day. I have a new group getting starting and that is one thing I have planned to set up right from the beginning. It makes a big difference to be able to get to know others when they aren't in the role of "Mom" or "Dad".

Snoopy
04-21-2010, 06:07 PM
Hey, Kim, HOW is your new group going? Did you get some members to join?

CroppinMom
04-21-2010, 10:18 PM
Nathalie,

It is going pretty well - we have a 4 members which is 2 more than we had a few weeks ago! I have been working so much the past couple of weeks I haven't had much time for anything else. Things are settling back down so this week I've got fliers to hang around town and I'm starting to list it online to get the name out there. Keep your fingers crossed for me (and Denise since she was my charter member!) that it will take off with some effort.

Snoopy
04-21-2010, 11:37 PM
Denise from here? Alright! You're in great company! Man, I wish I lived near you gals!

CroppinMom
04-22-2010, 09:22 PM
I think we should start planning a SecularHomeschool.com weekend get together - it would certainly educational!

dbmamaz
04-22-2010, 09:23 PM
sounds like a great beginning to a joke...."A pagan, a hippie, and a mormon walked into a bar....." ;)
lol :D lol (i hate this minimum post lenght, grrr!)

Snoopy
04-22-2010, 10:06 PM
I think we should start planning a SecularHomeschool.com weekend get together - it would certainly educational! We could meet in... Louisiana?