PDA

View Full Version : Secular Homeschool Honor Societies

mommykicksbutt
05-17-2011, 09:49 AM
Okay, I have a high schooler. I am also the chairman for a scholarship committee that awards an annual scholarship. It's scholarship season. I have a stack of scholarship applications on my desk all seeking our award. Everyone of these kids are brick and mortar school kids (our homeschool group doesn't have any graduating seniors this year). Everyone of the kids are in an honor society of some sort. Our rules state that these kids score extra points toward winning the award if they are in an honor society.

I've check on honor societies for my homeschooled son. The vast majority of high school honor societies are not open to homeschoolers, they must be in a brick and mortar program of some type to get in to the societies. There is a small handful of homeschool honor societies but they are all christian and most require a statement of faith, which is something we will not do. I have yet to find a 100% secular homeschool honor society (regardless of subject or field).

What are every one's thoughts on creating our own secular homeschool honor society. We basically create our own "national" organization with a board of governors/directors and then open it up to "charters" (each state gets a charter). There could even be spin-offs for subject of field like Math or Science.

Is there any interest? :confused:

Teri
05-17-2011, 10:10 AM
I think that is a great idea!
The state homeschool honor society in Texas lets the charters set their own rules. So some are more religious than others.

dbmamaz
05-17-2011, 10:35 AM
But arent honor societies usually based on GPA? and the grades are in comparison to other students? So how would you do that?

mommykicksbutt
05-17-2011, 10:48 AM
Yes Cara, honor societies are based on GPA. If a homeschooler has a GPA that meets the criteria for admission to the honor society then he/she qualifies for admission to the honor society. Honor societies are not based on class ranking so a student could be the only one in their class and be eligible, therefore, you have a moot point there about comparing to other students. GPA is the number one qualifier. That's how it's done.

farrarwilliams
05-17-2011, 12:14 PM
I have a pretty low opinion of honor societies... the one at my high school (National Honor Society) was not based entirely on GPA and there were a number of kids who, it seemed to me, were kept out based on religion or possibly race. Plus, it was such a classist organization. You had to have a car or access to one to join because meetings were purposefully held at times when there was no bussed transit available to the school.

I guess I also am not really keen on the whole "check this box" mentality about it. It's essentially an organization that does nothing but generate paperwork of applications and allow people to use its name to look good.

Oh my. I should just keep my mouth shut. I guess if people are willing to jump through this hoop to get something, then the hoop should exist for everyone. It's very not fair for public school kids and Christian homeschoolers to have access to a an extra thing to put on a college application but not secular homeschoolers.

mommykicksbutt
05-17-2011, 03:56 PM
that's my whole point FW, it's not fair that public school kids and christian homeschoolers can have the honor society listing on their resumes for scholarships and college admissions yet my secular homeschooler can't! The lack of it will make him less competitive. There should be one for the rest of the kids like my son, homeschooled and secular but currently there isn't. Like I said in the OP, extra points are credited to those applicants that are members of an honor society (they don't have to be active, just a member) because this shows (supposedly) they have scholastic ability and a sense of belonging with others who are like themselves. Our secular homeschooled kids demonstrate superior scholastic ability and can fit in and belong anywhere they see fit for themselves but appearently they are not welcomed in a high school honor society.

sallymae
05-17-2011, 11:17 PM
That would be GREAT!!!!

Ariadne
05-18-2011, 07:35 AM
I never thought about it before. It's freaking brilliant.

Stella M
05-18-2011, 08:05 AM
What is an honor society ?

Teri
05-18-2011, 09:58 AM
An honor society is like a club for students who make a certain gpa.

To the OP, have you seen this honor society? http://www.etasigmaalpha.com/membership/
This is the one that I was talking about that left the statement of faith to the individual chapters. Their National chapter does not have a statement of faith though (like if there was not a chapter near you.)
They do require a standardized test score though.

mommykicksbutt
05-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Yes Teri, this is one of the organizations that I was thinking about that are christian. From their membership page under "additional requirements" item point three lists a "statement of faith" that "may" be required. This would be as you said by each chapter but the overall sentiment just by listing it is encouraging them to have it in my opinion. If it were truly not an issue than why have it listed in the first place, hence, not secular in my opinion.

Also, under "homeschool eligibility" (same page as above) is listed using the HSLDA (an overtly evangelical christian organization) definitions. While I do not disagree with the HSLDA's definition I do disagree with the underlining purpose of that organization and it is not about homeschooling but rather their brand of superstition. Also, the ESA scholarship is a Baptist funded scholarship to a Baptist university (again christianity rearing it's obnoxious head).

The original founder of ESA, Joanne Juren, is the creator of Home Education Partnership of Texas Inc. which has overt ties with the Association of Classical and Christian Schools. Joanne Juren is not secular, her EHPT inc is not secular, ACCS is definitely not secular, and hence ESA is not secular either.

So, no, we will not be using ESA because it is not a secular homeschool honor society. I would like one that purposely avoids statements of faith and it is not an issue for membership at any level within the organization. I would like the society to welcome both those with and those without (superstitious) views and that it will not discriminate based on such things.

Teri
05-18-2011, 02:09 PM
Oh, I agree with you! In Texas, there really ISN'T a large organization that doesn't have christian ties.
Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with a chapter that didn't have a statement of faith requirement. If the head organization had that requirement, it would be an absolute no go for me. I think that a chapter could have a statement of faith that expressly states that there is no statement of faith. ;) But, similarly, a Catholic of Mormon group should be able to require that their members share that view, also.
I think that if they wanted the chapter to absolutely have a statement of faith, they would have just imposed that at the national level though.

Accidental Homeschooler
05-19-2011, 01:24 PM
Since I don't plan on using grades and since grades are controlled by parents anyway I am not understanding how they mean that much in a competitive sense. If we have kids competing with each other based on grades from their parents and not in a competitive setting like a school, how are they very meaningful? How convincing would they be on a college application? I think maybe essay contests or science project contests might make more sense and be more meaningful to college admissions for hs students.

Busygoddess
05-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Since I don't plan on using grades and since grades are controlled by parents anyway I am not understanding how they mean that much in a competitive sense. If we have kids competing with each other based on grades from their parents and not in a competitive setting like a school, how are they very meaningful? How convincing would they be on a college application? I think maybe essay contests or science project contests might make more sense and be more meaningful to college admissions for hs students.

You know, I was thinking along the same lines. You couldn't make GPA a determining factor. It would have to be based on test scores or something else that was standardized. There are a lot of people who will have the child keep fixing the incorrect answers, until they get them all right, then mark it as 100%. That's not exactly fair competition for the parent who marks down the original score as the final grade, even if they have the child go back an fix answers afterward. Also, there's the lack of standardization in classes. An A in a Biology course where all that is expected is to read part of a textbook & answer a few questions, is not equal to an A in a Biology course that has 15 labs, papers to be written, lectures to watch, worksheets to do, several books to read, tests to take, etc. So tests like the SAT, ACT, and even the regualr standardized tests school use (as long as administered by someone other than the parent) would need to be what was used for entrance to an Honor Society, if it was going to be fair to all applying.

Stella M
05-19-2011, 07:30 PM
I still don't understand what an honour society does ? What do all these smart kids do once they are in their club ? Do they do extra study ? Enquiring minds wish to know...US crazy dd, not me!

Riceball_Mommy
05-19-2011, 07:59 PM
I still don't understand what an honour society does ? What do all these smart kids do once they are in their club ? Do they do extra study ? Enquiring minds wish to know...US crazy dd, not me!

I was in art honor society in high school and all of us make some supplies for an art project that a few of us were taking to a women's shelter to make with the kids there. I'm not sure if charity/volunteer work is standard though among all of them.

dbmamaz
05-19-2011, 08:33 PM
Its not that kind of club. Its the kind of club where they say 'you are good enough to be in this club' and then you get to put it on your resume. More like an award.

Stella M
05-19-2011, 08:53 PM
Ah. Honour roll type thing. Ta.

mommykicksbutt
05-20-2011, 10:17 AM
The homeschool honor societies don't use a GPA for admission for all the same reasons already listed here (aka mommy grades). They use CAT, IOWA, Stanford, PSAT, SAT, and ACT scores instead of GPAs. A test score of 1800 (SAT) or 26 (ACT) or 180 (PSAT) or a 90% on the composite/complete battery on the CAT, IOWA or Stanford nationally normed standardized achievement tests is required for ESA membership.

dbmamaz
05-20-2011, 11:15 AM
isnt 1800 a perfect score?

Busygoddess
05-20-2011, 11:57 AM
isnt 1800 a perfect score?

2400 is a perfect score

mommykicksbutt
05-20-2011, 01:45 PM
The overall SAT score is actually three SAT scores in one: one for math, one for writing, and one for verbal. These three SAT scores will be scaled, meaning they will be fit to a range that runs from a low of 200 to a perfect score of 800. An absolutely perfect SAT score would total 2400 (3 times 800). Of course, almost no one scores that high. The median score on any one section of the test is just over 500, making a score a bit above 1500 the median. Each score is always rounded to the nearest ten, meaning that your score will always end in a zero.

Here is a list of the SAT requirements for the top US universities. http://www.satscores.us/

dbmamaz
05-20-2011, 02:31 PM
When I was in high school i dont think we had the writing? we always counted on an 1800 scale, adding only our math and english. Which means the comparable score would be 1200. that makes more sense to me. (sorry, i was very competitive about my SAT scores for some reason . . . i dont remember many numbers, but those I remember . . . there's a story, of course, involving a boy . .. .)

hockeymom
05-20-2011, 03:23 PM
I don't recall the writing either, Cara. Those seem like the numbers I remember as well.

dbmamaz
05-20-2011, 05:51 PM
Oh, i was also excluded from my school's honor society due to poor grades .. . . i really did have the 3rd highest SAT score in my year tho.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
05-20-2011, 07:12 PM
The SAT writing section was added in 2005.

hockeymom
05-20-2011, 07:16 PM
aha! Thank you Monkey Mama! :)

chatpatka
05-26-2011, 05:26 AM
Would such an honor society be available in some way to kids outside of the USA? There are not many perks available to us homeschooling parents overseas, where HS is not very popular (and even somewhat illegal) ;)

squiremouse
06-02-2011, 11:23 PM
I think this would be wonderful. SAT score, PSAT score would make a good bench mark, What tests do they give overseas? I think it would be even more "prestigious" if it was an International Honor Society.

Mia

mommykicksbutt
06-03-2011, 12:47 PM
Humm.... International Homeschool Honor Society.... Okay, how do we go about doing this folks?

laq997
01-17-2012, 03:41 PM
did anything ever happen with this?

mommykicksbutt
01-21-2012, 03:05 PM
nope. Perhaps we should start one here. Secular Home School Honor Society.