PDA

View Full Version : I'm ready to go--but should I wait?

Laina
05-13-2011, 09:44 AM
So...I have all my FIAR Vol. 1 materials here or on their way, Math Mammoth ready to go, we're already moving along in ETC, and I have detailed lists of all the fun things I want to do for each FIAR week. We even went to our first homeschool gathering at a playground this week and had a blast. There were so many really nice parents and kids around Lou's age. I even have a tentative weekly schedule of outings/activities for the fall. I'm feeling ready!

Lou's last day of school is in mid-June. So what do you think--should I just sit on all of this until school officially starts in the fall, or should we just jump in right away with "school lite"?

I'm a little reluctant to start school in the summer since I want to establish clear routines and habits and would like an exciting first day of school come fall. I know all the summer stuff we do and dh being home in the summer will not lend itself to a set schooling schedule. On the other hand, I'm really excited to get started...wwyd?

dbmamaz
05-13-2011, 11:04 AM
as hard as it sounds, i'd try to wait. you dont want to burn out your kids before school even starts.

Teri
05-13-2011, 11:07 AM
I would wait also if you are not going to keep up the schedule.

MarkInMD
05-13-2011, 11:35 AM
I'd wait, too. I'd take the summer to slowly familiarize yourself with the curricula you've chosen and figure out an approach that you'd like to try. Bear in mind it may (probably will) require fine-tuning once the school year starts, so keep flexible when things seem to be unproductive over a period of time.

Kirsji
05-13-2011, 11:39 AM
I would probably wait, too, as difficult as that may be! :) I totally understand what you mean about having all new curriculum and being eager to jump in right away! I love the look and smell of brand new books and crisp, un-handled pages! It's L♥VE, I tell ya!

I would use the summer to establish routines, let your daughter (and you) decompress from school, and ... READ! Lots and lots of reading, snuggling, and enjoying good books together. I might even spend some time doing cool science experiments, cooking, arts and crafts, etc.

Two summers ago, when we had just taken the children out of public school, we raised caterpillars. That was tons of fun! We also made a solar oven out of a pizza box and did buoyancy tests in our pool (watermelons, pieces of wood, ice blocks, etc.). We spent time camping, fishing, and hiking - just being a relaxed family. Once the fall came, we were ready to start schooling.

Laina
05-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Yeah, you guys are right...I'll wait. I hope I don't burn myself out through planning before the kids even read their first FIAR book.

Thanks for the cool ideas, Kirsji. Maybe I can transfer my energies to summer planning mode and find some caterpillars to raise!

CatInTheSun
05-13-2011, 12:59 PM
I'll go with an "it depends". :p

If she's doing ok in ps and you're just itching to get started, I'd wait until Fall. If there are significant issues of concern with dd in ps right now, or she really wants to stay at home, I'd go ahead and start hsing.

One benefit to starting now is a trial run and then a summer to regroup. But a month is not a realistic "test" since you know it's short term. I'd also think hard about whether you are "home schooling" or "schooling at home" -- do you envision hsing to be like ps but with a class of one and at home? That image usually dies a quick death. To get a taste, keep working with dd after school. Maybe do a short Sat school. For K "school" may be 30min, 90min MAX. First grade is often 1-2 hrs/day, so I would encourage considering *some* sort of ramp up to hs over the summer, even if it is just working in a fun workbook or doing read alouds and math games. "Official" starts to school can be fun, but I've found it is much easier if you kinda sneak school up on them! LOL Even when we were doing K12, I'd start them on half days 2 weeks before the official start of school so that we were at full speed on Day #1.

Good luck!

Laina
05-13-2011, 01:15 PM
I'll go with an "it depends". :p

If she's doing ok in ps and you're just itching to get started, I'd wait until Fall. If there are significant issues of concern with dd in ps right now, or she really wants to stay at home, I'd go ahead and start hsing.

One benefit to starting now is a trial run and then a summer to regroup. But a month is not a realistic "test" since you know it's short term. I'd also think hard about whether you are "home schooling" or "schooling at home" -- do you envision hsing to be like ps but with a class of one and at home? That image usually dies a quick death. To get a taste, keep working with dd after school. Maybe do a short Sat school. For K "school" may be 30min, 90min MAX. First grade is often 1-2 hrs/day, so I would encourage considering *some* sort of ramp up to hs over the summer, even if it is just working in a fun workbook or doing read alouds and math games. "Official" starts to school can be fun, but I've found it is much easier if you kinda sneak school up on them! LOL Even when we were doing K12, I'd start them on half days 2 weeks before the official start of school so that we were at full speed on Day #1.

Good luck!

Thanks for your comments! I'm not considering pulling her out of school for the last month (she's doing fine there and would be sad to leave her friends and teacher before the end of the year), just thinking about starting some of the curriculum in the summertime. I don't think of hs as "school at home"--I'm sure that wouldn't work for either of us! The kids' favorite day of the week is the day we go to the library and come home with a pile of books and read them all on the couch. I envision homeschooling a little bit like that!

Right now I'm planning FIAR, ETC, and MM, and will start slowly from there. Oh, she'll be in a weekly nature science group too. She's only in morning K, so we already have afternoons free--hmm, maybe I'll just "row" just one FIAR book before school ends to get it out of my system.

Pilgrim
05-15-2011, 10:50 AM
I would wait also if you are not going to keep up the schedule.

I agree, and we've decided to do the same. Our summers are spontaneous with lots of outings and no schedules. That said, we'll be doing 'HS lite' with some tutoring and fun activity groups, but won't begin full-swing HS til the fall. This will give DD some time to decompress from PS as well.

05-15-2011, 11:44 AM
I would follow her lead and if she wants to, just do something light. Like FIAR. FIAR is so fun, my kids don't even think it's "school" much of the time. Pick one of the books that has a summery theme, read it a few times, do some crafts and arts surrounding it, go on field trips that support the theme of the book, get some go-along books at the library and have fun. You don't have to follow the FIAR curriculum to the letter. You'll both get your feet wet with homeschooling and you'll be having fun so burnout is not an issue. And you will satisfy that itch to get going (I can totally relate to that, btw).:)

lilypoo
05-16-2011, 08:37 AM
I'm not sure. I feel like we homeschool year-round even when we are taking a break from our formal activities or prepared curricula. If your intent is to take summers completely off (which I actually don't recommend LOL) and have a "first day of school" come fall and that's really important to you, then I think it makes more sense to break over the summer.