PDA

View Full Version : Flipping Pocket Charts?!?!?!?

Lou
05-08-2011, 11:49 PM
I know this must be easier then what I'm experiencing...I know there HAS TO BE a SIMPLE (right in front of my face) answer...but I'm drawing a blank and need someone to point out the obvious please...

RE: Hanging Pocket Charts...if you can't flip them over to the back and use another one (meaning hanging several from the stand at once) then what is the point to this item?

HOW DO YOU FLIP A POCKET CHART WITHOUT ALL THE POCKET CHART CARDS FALLING OUT WHEN YOU FLIP IT???

I have our pocket chart calendar hanging on it, so I'm not likely to take out every number card every day...that would deem it useless....and I'd like to use another hanging pocket chart for vocabulary lessons, but again, the cards will fall out when I'm flipping it to the back and using the calendar....

...and a side vent/note: the pocket chart hanging rings SUCK...ahhh got that off my chest...any suggestions BESIDES don't bother with it. :)

Lou
05-09-2011, 12:59 AM
I see 14 folks have viewed it, yet not one reply...could it be this is the most useless teaching tool ever? Or there is a flipping secret no one is telling me???

Stella M
05-09-2011, 03:23 AM
I thought 'flipping' was a nice way of saying a different 'f' word. Now I see it really is a flipping pocket chart.
I'm sorry; I have no advice for you on the flipping issue :)

Kylie
05-09-2011, 04:55 AM
LOL this is not funny I know and it would be one of those things I would want to throw out the window hehehe

I thought that pocket charts weren't really for flipping? I have seend flip charts but not flipping pocket charts!

lilypoo
05-09-2011, 05:20 AM
I just ordered our first pocket charts and don't have plans to flip them...I haven't seen any that are flippable. I got a separate one for calendar, schedule and then another for teaching and I'm seeking out wallspace for them LOL If you plan to not redo the ones you want to flip, often, maybe you could put a piece of tape (tiny) over each pocket? Hoe 'bout little velcro circles on the insides of each compartment. That would take forever to do though! Can you link us to what you're using?

Teri
05-09-2011, 09:48 AM
I haven't seen one that is flippable either. When we used one (only during K for Joseph, so 6 years ago), I just hung it up on the wall.

dbmamaz
05-09-2011, 09:58 AM
I've never heard of anything like what you are talking about - i dont use that kind of stuff. But . . . are you saying that you want today's folder to be the front one, and at the end of the day, it moves to the back, so you always have a fresh day, but it rotates weekly? and if its what I think it is, can you lift it and move it?

I guess the other option would be to label them for the days of the week, but NOT have them in front every day?

Teri
05-09-2011, 10:01 AM
I just googled "flipping pocket charts" and this was the first hit. :lol
I did find that Oriental Trading has a section called "flip and pocket charts", but they aren't the same thing.
http://www.orientaltrading.com/teaching-supplies/teacher-resources/flip-and-pocket-charts-a1-388884-3-1.fltr

Lou
05-09-2011, 11:01 AM
the pocket chart stand & special rings I purchased, used the 'selling point' of it can hold several pocket charts at once.....WHY would you do that, if you can't FLIP them and USE them???

Anyhow, I figured out how to flip them without the cards falling out...yet the specialized rings I purchased, don't stay on very well. Lucky for me, my husband is handy and can make rings for me that work better...but that project is on the bottom of his project list, so it might just be a while before I see his rings. :)

I'm at a 'functioning' point, yet not as 'smooth' of a functioning point as I would prefer. Suggestions are still welcome! :)

Lou
05-09-2011, 11:03 AM
LOL this is not funny I know and it would be one of those things I would want to throw out the window hehehe

I thought that pocket charts weren't really for flipping? I have seend flip charts but not flipping pocket charts!

they might not be, but I'm determind to make this work in my favor...now that I can flip them without the cards falling out, I just need to make the rings stay on (well they stay on, just not straight) to make it perfect for my use. :)

FYI the thing almost made it out the window last night... :)

Kylie
05-09-2011, 09:19 PM
LOL thank goodness it is at least nearly useable then ;-)

Pefa
05-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Sounds like the vocabulary they'd learn from me wouldn't be the words in the pocket ;) I admire your perseverance. Don't you hate it when something doesn't work the way you thought it would because of poor (or brilliant) copy?

Lou
05-09-2011, 11:59 PM
yeah...LOL....vocab lessons cards *%^$^%#%$# *^&%&^$ *^*%&&^ hee, hee....it would be right up there with my son coming out of the bathroom quoting his father, saying he used the last of the "sh*t tickets" Or when he's told me that there was a lot of dog "Cr*p on the lawn" Good thing we homeschool, our family language isn't suitable for public school ha, ha...

Those pocket chart stands aren't cheap...I had to make it work...ha, ha...plus the thought of taking it apart and packing it up sounded like another $#^$*&^ type experience. :p

ClassicalLearning
05-10-2011, 01:57 AM
I never used pocket charts but I did setup a board and used clip hangers to swap out cards.

Since you are trying to use the stand you already have, what about hanging some stiff paper or a thin board and using velcro or another option to quickly swap your vocabulary cards?

Lou
05-10-2011, 02:34 AM
you just gave me a good idea with the clip hangers...hmmm wonder if what I'm thinking would work for the ring issue???

lakshmi
05-10-2011, 09:35 PM
okay, where's the video function on this forum we definitely need it for this one.

I have no idea why they would market that it could hold more than one, those charts dont' flip so good. Thanks for the side line into a practical rather than an ethical or theoretical one. Even though I have no suggestions that differ from what has already been mentioned. You need to youtube it, and post a link! Yeah! do that.

krlaz
05-10-2011, 11:57 PM
Please tell me what solution you find that works! I'm probably the only person here who totally understands exactly what you are talking about! I too have pocket charts on the special stand with the rings. I not only use it to hold (and flip) the pocket charts, but I also use large paper on the rings, too. I use the paper to write poems and songs. I'd love to have a different way to hang things on the chart holder...it's a chore trying to sort through all the items hanging there, not to mention flipping the whole thing!

Lou
05-11-2011, 12:06 AM
Please tell me what solution you find that works! I'm probably the only person here who totally understands exactly what you are talking about! I too have pocket charts on the special stand with the rings. I not only use it to hold (and flip) the pocket charts, but I also use large paper on the rings, too. I use the paper to write poems and songs. I'd love to have a different way to hang things on the chart holder...it's a chore trying to sort through all the items hanging there, not to mention flipping the whole thing!

I have come to the conclusion I'm going to toss those stupid rings once my (almost complete) amazon order shows up...I am 99.9% sure these rings will allow for better flippage (is that a word?) and in order to flip without loosing the cards, I just roll it up from the bottom and turn it over and it unrolls on it's own on the other side (so far no cards lost with that method)

I'm pretty sure the loose leaf 2 inch rings will work MUCH better...just bummed they only come in a 50 pack...I might hold my amazon shopping cart until tomorrow and check the local office supply shop...I only need 5 of them. I see 5 packs on amazon of other sizes, but 2 inch seems to be the best size for me...anyhow, the 'pocket chart rings' that came with the stand are "HORRIBLE" IMHO. :)