PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from OK

Wilma
04-19-2010, 03:02 PM
Hi!

I just found this forum after reading about it on another secular board. It looks great from what I can see so far.

My dh and I homeschool our 3 dds, who have never been to school. We live in the OKC area but began our homeschooling journey in southern California. My girls are 13, 12 and 10. We use a variety of materials but lean toward a classical approach. I need to be up front and point out that we are Christian but do not homeschool for religious reasons. In fact, I do not click with a majority of Christian homeschoolers and am viewed with suspicion by many of them. We choose our materials on academic merit, not religious views (in fact, my children and I dislike the tone of many religious publishers), we allow our children to read Harry Potter, teach them Evolution, one of my dearest friends in an atheist and her dd is my oldest's best friend, and, well, you get the picture. Fortunately I am finding more and more homeschoolers who are getting fed up with the stranglehold the religious homeschoolers have on our local community and are getting tired of the "why wouldn't we all think alike, we're homeschoolers" mentality.

I help run a co-op that is comprised of families with similar outlooks as ours. We are very excited at the responses we have gotten to our postings on the local boards. It seems there are many, many families looking for an open-minded homeschooling group. There used to be a secular homeschooling network in OK but it seems to have died. We have great hopes for our co-op and would like to branch out beyond academics to offer social activities for parents and students that do not center around faith.

My wonderful dh is an engineer and my right hand man when it comes to making sure the girls get to the their activities. The 2 younger ones swim and my oldest is a fencer. They all love to read, watch the History Channel and Food Network, especially Good Eats and Food Detectives (which seems to have disappeared) and spend time outdoors. We also love '60's spy shows (especially the original Prisoner), Babylon 5, Farscape, Monty Python, and Big Bang Theory. Aside from helping chauffeur, dh also puts up with my continual redecorating. Right now he is installing 1200 sq. feet of tile and enduring all the sawdust from me stripping my kitchen cabinets.

Ann

Topsy
04-19-2010, 04:03 PM
Welcome Ann! It's awesome to have you on the site. Plenty of room here for Christians not homeschooling for religious reasons. I myself am a practicing Episcopalian but never, ever fit in with the Christian homeschooling groups in our area - - and that's what spurred me toward helping to create this site. This will hopefully never become a faith-bashing site, but instead a place where people homeschooling for non-religious reasons can come together and support each other, share resources, give and get advice, and hopefully keep a sense of humor through it all!!

You mentioned your co-op. Does it have a website? If so, we'd love to add it to our list of secular/inclusive support groups (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/203-Secular-Homeschool-Support-Groups-by-State)! Let me know...

Enjoy the site!!
Topsy

Wilma
04-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Thanks, Topsy.

I just showed your reply to the other leader of our group (I am at co-op). We definitely need a website. That is part of the grand plan. We are just finishing up our first year and are learning all we need to do to get the word out. It can be intimidating at times.

Ann

Snoopy
04-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Hey Ann, welcome to Secular Homeschooling. You all should start a Yahoo Group; It's free, and a LOT of homeschoolers use Yahoo Groups to meet online and IRL :)

Shoe
04-21-2010, 12:31 PM
I need to be up front and point out that we are Christian but do not homeschool for religious reasons. In fact, I do not click with a majority of Christian homeschoolers and am viewed with suspicion by many of them. We choose our materials on academic merit, not religious views (in fact, my children and I dislike the tone of many religious publishers), we allow our children to read Harry Potter, teach them Evolution
Hi Ann, that pretty much describes me as well. Welcome to the site and I love your avatar picture (I love the Addams Family and Carolyn Jones).

Wilma
04-21-2010, 05:01 PM
Ah! A kindred spirt! Good to know.

HoodOrnament
04-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Welcome, Wilma!

(Btw, after reading "one of my dearest friends is an atheist" I had a dream that night that I was a dear with red wavy hair and huge antlers. Perhaps we should stop serving wine at co-op?) ;-)

Wilma
04-22-2010, 10:39 PM
welcome, wilma!

( perhaps we should stop serving wine at co-op?) ;-)

noooooooo!