PDA

View Full Version : Time off

melhoen
05-01-2011, 10:38 PM
So it's perfectly normal to take 5 weeks off for introducing a new baby into the household right?? :) I feel like such a horrible mother/teacher--not that my dd minds in the least that she's not done squat the last month. Holy cow I don't remember being this tired with the first four. Of course that was 7 years ago... The homeschool police aren't going to come break down my door are they? I live in non-rule state so there surely aren't too many people who even know we do it! Everyday I say, tomorrow we're going to start. Be ready. Snort. I am a sad excuse for a homeschool educator.

dbmamaz
05-01-2011, 11:13 PM
I think its perfectly normal to take 6 MONTHS off for a new baby! I have a freind who has three kids ages 7 mo to 6 years and she told me that homeschooling mostly looks like playing video games right now . . . congratulations and remember, there are no educational emergencies but each kid only gets to be a newborn once!

Stella M
05-01-2011, 11:46 PM
I took 12 months off - we just did natural learning for ds' first year - so I'd say 5 weeks puts you in the wonderful mother/teacher category. Really, it's OK. Take your time :)

Miguels mommy
05-01-2011, 11:57 PM
I would wait until the baby is sleeping through the night and you've mostly caught up on your sleep and anything else that needs your attention call it early summer vacation if you have to just relax with school and get use to life with the new baby. Congratulations!!

farrarwilliams
05-02-2011, 12:01 AM
Yeah, give yourself as much time as you need! If it's making *you* anxious that you're not schooling can you do something else, like enforce a free reading time for the older kids or something in the meantime?

Batgirl
05-02-2011, 12:12 AM
Yes, how about reading and educational movies?

Busygoddess
05-02-2011, 12:13 AM
Congrats on the new baby! My youngest was 5mo when we started hsing, so I have no experience with taking time off for a new baby. However, I would say it's fine to take a few months off for something that big.

Kylie
05-02-2011, 01:21 AM
oh gosh....please be kinder too yourself :-)

Congratulations!

hockeymom
05-02-2011, 04:57 AM
Congratulations! Absolutely take the time you need--this is a special time for your older kids too.

lakshmi
05-02-2011, 05:40 AM
Congrats!

I'd say it's time to consider unschooling!

Marmalade
05-02-2011, 04:00 PM
So it's perfectly normal to take 5 weeks off for introducing a new baby into the household right?? :) I feel like such a horrible mother/teacher--not that my dd minds in the least that she's not done squat the last month. Holy cow I don't remember being this tired with the first four. Of course that was 7 years ago... The homeschool police aren't going to come break down my door are they? I live in non-rule state so there surely aren't too many people who even know we do it! Everyday I say, tomorrow we're going to start. Be ready. Snort. I am a sad excuse for a homeschool educator.

Oh no! I'm going to be having #5 after having gone 5 years without a new baby soon myself!

My plan is to have a course in Diapering 101, How To Be Really Really Quiet and Let Mama Nap and Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Grocery Shopping But Were Afraid To Ask (While this course is open to everyone I'm hoping my husband signs up)

KristinK
05-02-2011, 08:37 PM
I would wait until the baby is sleeping through the night and you've mostly caught up on your sleep and anything else that needs your attention call it early summer vacation if you have to just relax with school and get use to life with the new baby. Congratulations!!

hmmm, none of my first 3 slept through the night until they were at least 2yrs old...not sure that would fly here :D LOL. I totally agree though...5wks is NOTHING. take a few months!!
My 4th was born in July last year, and we only really got ourselves organized to start homeschooling this year in January. I was not up for it before then AT ALL.

So sit back and eat a few bonbons ;) enjoy the baby!

dbmamaz
05-02-2011, 10:45 PM
LOL yeah, I love to say that my kids never slept through the night until they were six . . . . years . . . .

melhoen
05-03-2011, 12:22 AM
Well, crap. My first four slept through at six weeks and this one slept 7 hrs last night at 5 1/2 weeks! That means I'd have to start school next week!! Yeah...not so much. I'm too tired. LOL. I'm glad I'm not the only one who took time off or that ya'll don't think I'm a bad person. :)

Miguels mommy
05-03-2011, 01:12 AM
Mines almost 9 and still hasn't got sleeping trough the night. He just knows he's confined to his room until the sun is up.

Hampchick
05-03-2011, 08:46 AM
Congratulations!

Hey, I'm taking 3 or 4 weeks of so we can get our new house ready and move. I think 5 weeks is not even close enough for welcoming a new baby!

Batgirl
05-03-2011, 10:20 PM
Yes, take all the time you need.....really. Babies take so much out of us! Yes, definitely try unschooling, reading, movies, whatever makes it easier and saner for you.

05-06-2011, 05:45 PM
My plan is to have a course in Diapering 101, How To Be Really Really Quiet and Let Mama Nap and Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Grocery Shopping But Were Afraid To Ask (While this course is open to everyone I'm hoping my husband signs up)

That is hilarious! I love it!
OP, please take whatever time you need! Congratulations! Yes to whatever reading time and educational t.v. time you can manage and let whatever else happens, happen. And if you have any family or friends asking if you need anything, what they can do to help, etc., tell them to come over and do XYZ math worksheet with Child A or read to Child B or whatever else would facilitate learning.