PDA

View Full Version : To Blog or Not to Blog

lakshmi
05-01-2011, 03:52 AM
I love reading everyone's posts and their blogs. If you do have a blog, please comment on how you use it. ie. for family to watch, to provide hs parents with resources or a combo of family blog & hs.

I've other blogs, and have toyed with creating a family/hs blog, just for fun.

Just curious to see what y'all think. It seems that there are some pretty heavy hitting blogs on this site. And I thank you for it!

Stella M
05-01-2011, 04:14 AM
Some of my favourite blogs 'come' from here too...

I blog as a writing exercise. I stopped writing when my children were babies, and I wanted to find a way to get back into the habit of writing regularly. I try to recommend some good books along the way!

farrarwilliams
05-01-2011, 08:49 AM
I blog so I don't talk my friends' ears off. To spew my thoughts into the world, basically. :D

dottieanna29
05-01-2011, 10:06 AM
I blog so I have a record of the things we do - I've tried handwritten and computer journals in the past and I failed to keep up with either. The blog encourages me to keep it up and allows me to easily add pictures. If it helps give anyone else ideas, that's great too.

My MIL is also one of the readers of my blog. She lives 3 hours away, talks to DH weekly and my blog is one of the few things she can get to on the internet. It allows her to see what we are doing (even though she doesn't approve of homeschooling).

Busygoddess
05-01-2011, 10:24 AM
My blog is pretty much a collection of everything. It's really just whatever I feel like writing about that day. Over the past week, I've posted recipes, a review for a BzzCampaign, aome thoughts on homeschooling, about the fact that it was a mistake to try to do a detailed plan one week at a time, the new schedule for Jay's 2nd grade, about my birthday weekend, and the poem my daughter wrote for my b-day. So, it's not homeschool specific, though I am trying to get better about posting, at least once a week, about our schooling. I'm actually thinking about starting a separate one for my reviews, and maybe one for recipes/food stuff. My reason for blogging really is just to write. I'm not too picky about what I write about, I just love writing & sharing my thoughts, ideas, etc.

Riceball_Mommy
05-01-2011, 10:30 AM
I was using my personal blog, for that a personal blog, just talking about everything going on but mostly the homeschool stuff. Lately I feel like I'm just rambling with no real audience, so I've been writing in my (paper) journal more. I'm still using my blog for reviews and BzzAgent stuff though. I'm also keeping it because I might want to go back to writing about everything again.

PaganHSMama
05-01-2011, 12:09 PM
I have a blog, but it is private. I use it to keep a record of what we do. As others have stated, it is easier to keep track of, to upload photos, etc. But it is not really something I am doing for the eyes of others. It has more to do with the requirements of the state I live in. I am just horrible with keeping paper records, because I hate to have anything "pile up" in my house! Everything is organized in my computer - homeschool stuff, business stuff, personal stuff...EVERYTHING! And I use the blog to put it all together in an easy to read (and print) format.

jess
05-01-2011, 12:11 PM
I've had a personal blog for 10 years or so where I talk about general life stuff. It is, at this point, mostly friends-only.

The blog linked in my sig started out as a homeschooling blog, but is now a general family blog, because creating a separate blog for each separate-but-related family activity was getting silly. So now it's all in one place. That's where I post stuff that generally isn't too personal that someone else on the planet might possibly find interesting or helpful.

dbmamaz
05-01-2011, 12:26 PM
I was all excited about my blog at first, but then its gotten away from me . . . i rarely post any more. But oddly, i also stopped READING blogs, even my favorites.

lakshmi
05-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Has anyone ever considered doing a more collaborative blog?

For example, Copyblogger (http://www.copyblogger.com/), is a fantastic site to learn about SEO, writing, whatever and they have several guest posters etc. Obviously they also have it monetized.

With all the clear, concise and informative writing I've seen here and on each individual blog perhaps some authors here could consider creating a blog where everyone could collect thoughts and answer questions. Sort of a secular homeschooling info site that isn't as personal as a personal blog, but yet conveys the information in a way that is SEO friendly. And no one is left posting every day or week.

Satori
05-01-2011, 12:50 PM
I started blogging to keep my family in touch with what we were doing, but then it turned into helping others. I also use the blog to practice photography (I started the blog a few months after I learned to go on manual mode.) I try to thoroughly review curriculum we use as well as share ideas. It does get a little overwhelming, and I sometimes fall behind answering questions and comments, so at the moment, I'm taking a little blogging break.

I love seeing how our journey has been captured in the blog, and am thrilled to see how both my daughter and I grow as we continue homeschooling.

Teri
05-01-2011, 12:55 PM
My blog started as a way to keep family connected to what the kids are doing. My parents, especially, spend half the year traveling in their Airstream, so they don't get to see what the kids have going on. There really isn't anything on the blog that is not kid or homeschool related. I don't put anything about what is going on in the family (like the fact that we had a car die two months ago and have been a car short since then. LOL)
But, if there is a field trip, a cool lesson, a kid gets a scholarship to a language camp :p, that is all fair game.

Busygoddess
05-01-2011, 01:22 PM
Has anyone ever considered doing a more collaborative blog?

For example, Copyblogger (http://www.copyblogger.com/), is a fantastic site to learn about SEO, writing, whatever and they have several guest posters etc. Obviously they also have it monetized.

With all the clear, concise and informative writing I've seen here and on each individual blog perhaps some authors here could consider creating a blog where everyone could collect thoughts and answer questions. Sort of a secular homeschooling info site that isn't as personal as a personal blog, but yet conveys the information in a way that is SEO friendly. And no one is left posting every day or week.

It's funny that you mention this, because I've been thinking about this lately. I wouldn't want to do it, though, unless there were enough people that would be interested in doing it & would really keep up with it. There would have to be diversity - people representing many (if not all) methods, philosophies, geographic areas, etc. They would all have to be respectful of other methods and especially of the other authors (I wouldn't want to read a blog where the authors were sniping at each other in their posts).

dbmamaz
05-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Yeah, I think i might have had an easier time staying motivated about my blog if there was anyone in my family who would read it. Well, i think my sister might have read one or two. My mom didnt want to figure out what a blog was. My husband wants nothing to do with anything i do on line. His mom doesnt have a computer. The ex couldnt care less what his kids are doing.

Actually, the posts I did this year were actually in response to a freind asking why I hadnt posted in a while. But still, it felt pointless . . . although I do miss the inspiration.

Teri
05-01-2011, 01:41 PM
For my parents and husband, I had to set it up where they get the blogs via email. They never visit the site, so I never have comments from them. LOL
Yeah, if they had to search it out on their own, they wouldn't see it.
Blogger has a limited number of emails that you can have it sent to from the blogger end.

dbmamaz
05-01-2011, 02:12 PM
I seriously had the vibe that they did not want to know. Esp from my mom and husband, it felt like 'some things are personal and I dont want to know', and from my sister, it was more that hearing about my boys is boring because its not about her. I think I sent my husband a link to one once and . . . idk, he did read it. He doesnt like to talk about these things, either. So whats the point of sending them to him if he's only reading it because i told him to?

whine, whine, whine. I know, i should be excersising my creative abilities on my blog for my own sense of satisfaction.

dottieanna29
05-01-2011, 06:00 PM
My husband does occasionally get in touch with old friends from high school (a LOOOONG time ago in his case), his past jobs or his extended family. He'll often send them a link to the blog as a "here's what my kids and wife are up to".

MrsLOLcat
05-01-2011, 06:11 PM
I blog so I don't talk my friends' ears off. To spew my thoughts into the world, basically. :D

Yep. I blog to prevent word vomit. I have fun with it, though, and I don't care who reads it. I honestly didn't even know that DH's stepmother was reading it till one day I posted about how I was upset about something and got a phone call an hour later asking if I was okay! It was quite a surprise. Now I'm inspired... off to post :D

Martha
05-01-2011, 06:15 PM
I blog. It is mostly for record keeping. I might lose paperwork or have my computer crash, but my blog as a lot of info saved there. Links, curriculum used each year, photos, occasional scrapebooky type events to remember. I have whopping 6 subscribers, mostly people who live far away but want to see occasional pics of the kids.

Also, whenever those threads come up of "what are you using?" it is a lot easier to link to my blog page for the year than to retype it all!

jess
05-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Also, whenever those threads come up of "what are you using?" it is a lot easier to link to my blog page for the year than to retype it all!
Yep. If I find myself writing the same thing over and over again, I'll just blog it and either link to it or copy and paste.

Or sometimes it's the other way around and stuff I write that I want to remember turns into a blog post.

Kylie
05-01-2011, 10:15 PM
I blog, I enjoy blogging, it's my 'me time' and I don't have to leave the house. It is time consuming and can take over your life so you do really need to keep it in perspective. I use ours as a journal of sorts but I certainly don't blog about everything. Actually it is more based around the photo's I take. If there is a decent photo then I'll blog about it. I read so many blogs that I prefer those that use lots of photo's (an image tells a thousand words)...I just don't have the time to sit read wordy blog posts.

I've actually connected very well with many bloggers from around the world. I think you need to decide what you want for your blog and what you want to get out of it. If you are happy to just write and don't care either way if anyone reads then blog, blog to your hearts content, if you only have a few readers then what does it matter anyway.

However if you want to connect to other bloggers then you need to be out there reading and more importantly COMMENTING on other blogs....that's where you make the connections IMO...it's lots of fun and I have found some of my best stuff for our homeschool through blogging.

lakshmi
05-02-2011, 05:47 AM
It's funny that you mention this, because I've been thinking about this lately. I wouldn't want to do it, though, unless there were enough people that would be interested in doing it & would really keep up with it. There would have to be diversity - people representing many (if not all) methods, philosophies, geographic areas, etc. They would all have to be respectful of other methods and especially of the other authors (I wouldn't want to read a blog where the authors were sniping at each other in their posts).

Yes and an appointed editor who would tweak everything so that it sounded polished. I know there seems to be a lot of diversity and yet, most of the blog sites do NOT combine this diversity. Very segregated community in a way. It sounds interesting. I know that there have been other sites to start out collaboratively and end up getting bigger and bigger, like the Secret to Success.

I am just looking for an excuse to go to Blogher.

**I actually have a couple of blogs (one is below) and was just wondering about starting a specifically homeschool blog. We don't do much schooling so I wasn't exactly sure if I had enough material for a whole big shebang.

Also noticed that a lot of folks here use Blogger, but I like Wordpress a lot better. Not that anyone is going to move their stuff, just saying I like it.

MamaGames
05-02-2011, 01:30 PM
I like the idea of a collective blog... I'd love to contribute to one but don't have the energy to organize or create one!

maggieorganizingchaos
05-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Combo for me, but more than that. I have always wanted to write a book. But, the topic always changes. I fantasize I could make money doing it, but with only one official (visible) follower on my blogsite and only 20 fans on my fb fan page, that's got a ways to go! LOL. Besides, I am getting a slow start and barely have time to READ the blogs I follow, much less create my own enties. I blog bc to express my thoughts to extended family or friends would leave me very lonely. I blog to find community among like-minded people. A lactivist (still breastfeeding my 44 mo old) and co-sleeper, the home schooling just seemed a natural extension to the attachment parenting world I'd embraced. I had a model - an accountant for my biz before I was a SAHM. But, not until I started exploring after my son's second birthday did I really become a HS advocate - and even though we really haven't officially started - he's only 3 - I consider myself a homeschooler...as someone else recently commented (where? when?) she started homeschooling when her child was born bc that is when she started teaching love and responding to the child. The blog is quite possibly self validation for me! If that helps others, bonus (AND, I will beam with pride)!

maggieorganizingchaos
05-02-2011, 04:27 PM
One thing I like about HS blogging is that there are really blurred lines between parenting, schooling, and life. HS is living life, and teaching kids to live life.

Greenmother
05-02-2011, 04:47 PM

Me too. Sometimes it's cheaper than therapy too. And I use it to work through complex issues. I don't post personal information about the kids. Too many creepazoids out there for me to feel comfortable posting photos or any identifiable information. Wish it were different but there it is.

farrarwilliams
05-02-2011, 09:01 PM
I agree with Kylie that it's nice to have the community of bloggers.

Most of the collective homeschool blogs that I've seen are just so... blah. The advice, the positions, the information - everything is just so bland and obvious. But I think that's because they're semi-commercial, trying to please everyone sorts of blogs. Something less boring would be interesting to me though. ;)

Greenmother
05-02-2011, 10:00 PM
I understand about the blah-issues, but then we run back into that issue we discussed on a different thread. When you reveal too much to your local community about how you feel or think or believe, you run the risk of being ostracized. So blah may be as much about "pleasing" everyone as it is about passive self defense.

Kylie
05-03-2011, 07:55 AM
I understand about the blah-issues, but then we run back into that issue we discussed on a different thread. When you reveal too much to your local community about how you feel or think or believe, you run the risk of being ostracized. So blah may be as much about "pleasing" everyone as it is about passive self defense.

I'd have to agree here. I think those cooperative blogs are often more about status than anything.

Hampchick
05-03-2011, 08:44 AM
I blog because it helps me gather my thoughts, gives me an excuse to better examine life and because I'm not great at spoken communication. As an introvert and bit of a slow thinker, most conversations leave me in the dust because my brain just can't keep up with the chatter. (I'm working on a post about introverts which is helping me come to terms with my temperament which tends on the hermit like side). What I blog about varies, but it's mostly about homeschooling, education, and the kids. Occasionally I sneak a political or worldview post in there but try to keep those to a minimum.

ESNQueen
05-03-2011, 01:17 PM
My blog just exists for me to spew whatever is in my head out into the world without caring what anyone thinks. :) I don't write often and most of it is poorly written.

farrarwilliams
05-03-2011, 08:45 PM

Huh. I feel like pretty much everything I say on my blog is stuff that I would say to my irl homeschool and parent friends. In fact, many of them read my blog. Actually, I've even met people a couple of times who found our homeschool group in part through my blog. I guess I don't overshare or go too far - there are definitely things I think or observe that I would NOT put on my blog because it's personal - either about me or others. But I guess having it pretty good in my community makes me naive. It's really sad if that's true.

rumbledolly
05-03-2011, 09:17 PM
I blog so the men in the white nets don't show up on my doorstep. Besides blogging gives me a captive audience and captive audiences are the ones who love me the best! RIGHT?? I can't hear you!

Back to playing Angry Birds!

Kylie
05-03-2011, 11:08 PM
So speaking of this blogging thing, can you please please please add teh Google Friends Connect Widget to your blogs.....please :D

Did I beg enough ;)

lakshmi
05-03-2011, 11:10 PM
So speaking of this blogging thing, can you please please please add teh Google Friends Connect Widget to your blogs.....please :D

Did I beg enough ;)

What is it? And will it connect our blogs together?

Kylie
05-04-2011, 02:41 AM
No it is just a way to follow other blogs. Some people subscribe so new posts go to their emails (way too many emails for my liking), others use a feed reader (I actually like to visit the blogs to read)or you can use google friends connect.

When I log into my dashboard of my blog, all the blogs I follow show up down the bottom with their latest posts. A post title, picture and a line or two from the post. I can easily decide if I want to click on that post and go read it.

Have a look at the right side bar of my blog - http://ourworldwideclassroom.blogspot.com/ and you will see a 'follow' button with lots of little images under it, all of those people are following my blog and I really want to follow all of your blogs that way but most of you don't have this widget on your blog.

If you are a blogger user, it is as simple as a few clicks to add it to your blog, through your dashboard (let me know if you need me to elaborate on that)

For Word Press users, here is a couple of links I googled
http://www.expand2web.com/blog/friend-connect-wordpress/
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/google-friendsconnect-widget/

Hope that helps.

Teri
05-04-2011, 08:38 AM
I added it, but it looks very empty right now. LOL
http://laughinglaceandlegos.blogspot.com/

jess
05-04-2011, 10:12 AM
In case you don't know, you can add a blog without Friends Connect by clicking on "ADD" in Dashboard, or "Add a subscription" in Google Reader.

Satori
05-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Thanks Kylie, I added Friends Connect to my Wordpress site.

I'll be joining the sites that have this on their blogs later today.

Hampchick
05-04-2011, 12:40 PM
As far as I can tell, friend connect can not be used on wordpress.com hosted websites because they don't allow javascript.

ESNQueen
05-04-2011, 02:46 PM
I added the connect thing to my blog. I have one whole follower. Woohoo!

Actually, my blog moved. So the last thread that I had posted in about blogs, if anyone is following that one, it moved. The new one is in my signature.

I use Google Reader, so you won't see me as a follower on yours, but I do have almost everyone's in my reader!

Satori
05-04-2011, 04:47 PM
As far as I can tell, friend connect can not be used on wordpress.com hosted websites because they don't allow javascript.
Hampchick, there is a plug-in we can use to add it to our wordpress site. Kylie added a link so we can add it to our sites. I used the first link and it's up on my blog now. I have no followers after adding it this morning. Maybe it doesn't work!

Oh, I host my own Wordpress site, I'm not sure if that makes a difference if you host it through Wordpress.

dbmamaz
05-04-2011, 05:04 PM
It makes a big difference. You cannot do a lot of things when wordpress hosts.

Hampchick
05-04-2011, 05:14 PM
Yes, unfortunately on the wordpress.com sites you can't use java so the plug-in's don't work. I assumed you probably hosted your own blog and that would be the difference.

I tried the plug-in before realizing that the code used java—all that showed up on my blog was the html code.

Kylie
05-04-2011, 06:10 PM
YAY to those of you that can :-) Off to now follow your blogs ;-)

Kylie
05-04-2011, 06:12 PM
I added the connect thing to my blog. I have one whole follower. Woohoo!

Actually, my blog moved. So the last thread that I had posted in about blogs, if anyone is following that one, it moved. The new one is in my signature.

I use Google Reader, so you won't see me as a follower on yours, but I do have almost everyone's in my reader!

Brandi your blog link is still going to your old one?

Kylie
05-04-2011, 06:15 PM
I added it, but it looks very empty right now. LOL
http://laughinglaceandlegos.blogspot.com/

Teri you didn't need it, you have already enabled it from your blogger dashboard so you now have it on your blog twice ;-)

Teri
05-04-2011, 08:55 PM
I wondered what the difference was! That's not what it was called when I put it on there the first time.

lakshmi
05-04-2011, 10:15 PM
Okay, Kylie, just gotta go to my blog to follow. I have wordpress hosted blogs. This is one thread I am glad that I read all the posts before I ran off to find the links and spend all the time trying to change it.

Kylie
05-05-2011, 07:55 AM
I wondered what the difference was! That's not what it was called when I put it on there the first time.

No I think they just call it followers in Blogger :-)

StartingOver
05-05-2011, 09:15 AM
I blog about anything and everything. Most of it is about the kids, and homeschooling. But I go off on other subjects too.

ESNQueen
05-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Brandi your blog link is still going to your old one?

Oh crud, I thought I had changed it! Here it is (http://stlmomommy.blogspot.com).

anywaybecause
05-06-2011, 02:02 PM
I blog about whatever I want to talk about, and I update it quite sporadically. If I don't have anything I'm very opinionated about at the moment, I don't update. One thing I am struggling with is the difference between me & most of the rest of my family. I am *very* open as a person -- not to the point of intimately confessional writing, but if I'm struggling with or concerned about something, I am okay with discussing or blogging about those issues. HOWEVER, I don't feel comfortable blogging about struggles or worries which involve other people, and that often results in me "not having anything to say" (in spite of reality).

dbmamaz
05-06-2011, 03:12 PM
Yeah, my daughter and husband have both gotten really firm that I'm not to say ANYTHING about their lives . . . but their lives are a huge part of MY life, so it makes me feel like my hands are tied.

not that they read it . . .

05-06-2011, 05:38 PM
I started my blog so my family and friends could see what we were doing and so I could keep track of what we were doing, not for state standards (Virginia is pretty easy) but just for me. But I love writing and taking pictures so it became a creative outlet, my "me" time without leaving the house, as a previous poster on this thread said. I also like helping people. I was a social worker in my pre-kid life. And I've met so many great people through my blog, both on-line and in real life.

I used to have a personal blog on blogger. Now I use wordpress. I like wordpress better. Just a personal preference. It was harder to learn how to use it but it has more features and now that I understand it, I enjoy it a lot.

I say start it and let it develop. You never know where it might take you. And you'll get lots of good support here.

lakshmi
05-06-2011, 11:58 PM
Thanks Julie,

I really like wordpress too, and now with the paid themes, I know I could find something I like. Just seems like so many blogs have a focus (besides about their own children), like a curriculum review, marketing a product, etc. And we're not really doing that much schoolwork, so it just seems hard to get excited about a homeschooling blog. Maybe I will just continue the one I have and change it to include more family stuff. Also, I'd love to have one of those fancy cameras that some of the moms have that totally rock. The photos some of these parents post are incredible .

Also could make posts private I suppose. hmmm.....

anywaybecause
05-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Kylie,

Thanks for the tip about the follower link. I've added it to my blog. This evening, I am going on a search-and-follow mission . . .

Kylie
05-09-2011, 07:57 AM
I second the advice to just start and see where it takes you. I think most bloggers don't necessarily start with an aim or blog theme in mind, it just happens.

No worries Wendy. :-)

Kylie
05-17-2011, 06:11 PM
I just stumbled onto this and thought a secular spin off could be a good idea for a collaborative blog, for those of you thinking of such a thing - http://www.christianhomeschoolerstakingastand.com/

lakshmi
05-20-2011, 03:53 AM
Thanks for the link Kylie! It looks like something that could work!

lilypoo
05-20-2011, 06:39 AM
I've been blogging off and on since 2001 (and really wish I'd kept better track of all my archives every time I've changed platforms, etc.) and I still do it but now it's more of a writing exercise as someone else said--of course it's also an outlet. I started a new one in January but I've been slacking on it since my mom died. Hope to get back in the swing of things soon...one reason I really enjoyed writing about my journey to homeschooling. I seem to do better when I have a prompt these days! ;)

lilypoo
05-20-2011, 06:39 AM
I just stumbled onto this and thought a secular spin off could be a good idea for a collaborative blog, for those of you thinking of such a thing - http://www.christianhomeschoolerstakingastand.com/

Ooooh, great idea! :)

lakshmi
05-20-2011, 03:03 PM
Maybe if anyone is interested in working together we could start a group, or hijack the one I created, Boring People who Hate to Debate? After I clicked the link, I sort wished I hadn't because the blog owner will be like....uh, hello, what is this, all these incoming clicks from the secular homeschooling site....
?