PDA

View Full Version : videos for preparing to do tasks

Dutchbabiesx2
04-28-2011, 10:03 PM
I asked our son's Occupational Therapist (OT) to do some videos of some activities parents can do at home to help kids be better physically prepared for task work, writing and reading, sitting in a chair. Mostly I was thinking of the HS population that typically does not have the PS pressure, and some of the PS resources for therapy.
Here they are (http://www.sensoryflow.com/spd/experts/john-murray-otr/)

Great for kids who have pencil grip issues, handwriting, reading, visual processing and body awareness, busy little bodies and such.
We don't do too many now, but we've done them all when my son was in PS, we do a few before some activities and I did see a reduction in frustration along with being able to just focus more (for a child with 1,000 ideas at one time this was a great improvement.
Don't get me wrong, we don't sit at the table and do hours of worksheet work, my younger son who is more naturally focused also has benefited from these fun activities. Now that the weather is so nice we will don some outside!

Let me know if you would like any other information, the site has other videos, but not as specific as these.