PDA

View Full Version : Yeah! for passionate professionals and excited kids.

higgledypiggledy
04-22-2011, 05:04 PM
My daughter spent the day today with a medical researcher from Hungary. She has been expressing interest in becoming a professional scientist, so we started tapping into that community in our area and setting up lunches, shadows and lab experiences for her. She is only 8. There is no way she would get this amazing kind of network building, encouragement and help creating a plan for her education if she were still in ps. We are astonished at how excited these scientists in various fields are to share their passion and time with an 8 year old. Until my adventures in hs began, I would have never thought about asking professional researchers to "give" up their time for my kids. Her dreams may change significantly as she grows into adulthood, but she is developing a group of adults that want her to succeed in a field she chooses and are keeping tabs and offering their experience to help her discover her passions. I LOVE HS!!!!
I would encourage any of you feeling shy about setting this sort of thing up to plunge ahead. Call companies and universities in your area. Talk to professors and researchers and just ask, "Do you have time to share your experiences with my daughter/son over lunch?" Once your kids shows up with intelligent questions and excitement, lunch may blossom into: "Would you like to spend a day in my lab?" "I'm working on a research project right now, would you like see the manuscripts I'm using?" A morning turns into an afternoon and life gets better and better. Did you know that one of the people instrumental in deciphering Mayan was a 12 year old kid whose dad introduced him to a researcher. The researcher, after sharing his enthusiasm during the winter, invited him to come with her on a research trip to Mexico!

Any other ideas on how to help our children connect their learning to the larger world of acadamia and/or the daily lives of professional adults? Other cool stories of your kids discovering adults that share their passions?

Laina
04-22-2011, 05:20 PM
That is so awesome!

Batgirl
04-22-2011, 11:58 PM
Wow! That is great! Thanks for sharing!

MrsLOLcat
04-23-2011, 12:22 AM
I think I just peed myself from excitement. I *live* in a college town. You'd think I'd have done this by now. I gotta do it. Thanks so much for sharing!! How inspiring!

inmom
04-23-2011, 07:29 AM
We totally agree. Just be prepared for possible disappointment. My daughter is interested in becoming a chef and wants to job shadow in the restaurant. However, they cite liability issues and turn her down. Any suggestions on how she is to get some idea of the job and some experience? She's almost 15--not like she's going to easily hurt herself!

Riceball_Mommy
04-23-2011, 09:12 AM
We totally agree. Just be prepared for possible disappointment. My daughter is interested in becoming a chef and wants to job shadow in the restaurant. However, they cite liability issues and turn her down. Any suggestions on how she is to get some idea of the job and some experience? She's almost 15--not like she's going to easily hurt herself!

Maybe you could a approach a catering company... It's not going to be exactly the same as a restaurant but it will still show a bit of cooking experience, and they might have a different stance on the liability issues. Other than that I'm not sure the kinds of restaurants you tried, but if you haven't already approached a very small family owned restaurant they might be more lack about the liability.

Ariadne
04-23-2011, 02:53 PM
Wow, thanks for sharing. That gives me hope because my kids need things like this. I'm looking for a gadget-geek mentor for my 12yo and may have found one. My 9yo daughter is very interested in the idea of medical research so I'd love to find a way for her to see the real deal at some point in the future, assuming she's still interested.

Cheryl
04-23-2011, 05:56 PM
wow! amazing. Thank you SO MUCH for posting this!

higgledypiggledy
04-26-2011, 04:34 PM
I was thinking about the hunt for a professioanl chef mentor. If you have a nearby culinary institute maybe you could approach admissions and let you daughter share her goals. She could ask what kind of shadowing/mentoring/interview opportunities they might be willing to help her find--perhaps with a faculty member. They are looking for students and might be willing to invest some time in her if they think she may attend in the coming years.

inmom
04-27-2011, 07:27 AM
Thanks, everyone, for the advice. She was trying to shadow at a higher end restaurant locally (family owned), but we thought maybe she should try a more "meat-and-potatoes" family restaurant instead. She's also going to contact caterers. Unfortunately, the closest culinary institutes are in Chicago, at least an hour's drive away (in good traffic) and right now we don't have the time for that (as I also work part time).