PDA

View Full Version : White onion?

dbmamaz
04-22-2011, 10:21 AM
My daughter said that her bf's mom in CA made onion soup w a variety of onions, so I decided to try that. So last night I was slicing up the onions, and I sliced a white onion - and realized, I dont think I've EVER used a white onion before.

I use yellow onions in half the food I cook
red onions - sandwiches, pizza
sweet onions - grilling
scallions - salads
leeks - soups
shallotts, well, mostly when I was avoiding onions esp in grain dishes

but what are white onions for? I mean, it certainly was pretty - i thought it would make a more striking pairing w a green pepper than yellow onions do . . . but . . . anyone?

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
04-22-2011, 10:37 AM
I only use the white onions for French Onion Soup. I think they might caramelize better than other varieties (higher sugar content, maybe?).

Now I want Onion Soup. Mmmm...

farrarwilliams
04-22-2011, 12:16 PM
Yeah, I think they caramelize better. But they don't taste as good as yellow ones, I think.

You left pearl onions off your onion list. But they're a bit useless, I think.

dbmamaz
04-22-2011, 12:37 PM
lol yeah, pearl onions i have never, ever bought. arent they mostly used in . . . ack. . that drink i dont drink . . shaken not stirred . . . blah, no words

MarkInMD
04-22-2011, 01:26 PM
White onions are pretty good diced on hot dogs, IMO.

camaro
04-22-2011, 02:02 PM
Interesting. Not that I've paid that much attention, but white onions are usually all we grow and use I think. Sandwiches, burgers, chili, spaghetti sauce, cabbage rolls...mmmm

dbmamaz
04-22-2011, 02:04 PM
yellow come in bags, cheap. so i use yellow for most things.

Busygoddess
04-22-2011, 02:36 PM
I don't use onions much, because dh & the kids aren't big fans. Mainly, I use scallions and shallots, because they have a milder flavor, so are easier to incorporate into food for my family. When I use a regular onion for something, like chopped to put on a hot dogs/brats/sausage, I mainly use white. I think they taste far better than yellow. I'm not sure why, but I really don't like yellow onions.

camaro
04-22-2011, 05:21 PM
My twins will eat something quite happily until they know there's onions in it. Then they suddenly don't like it.

Bellanina
04-22-2011, 10:51 PM
My twins will eat something quite happily until they know there's onions in it. Then they suddenly don't like it.

Yes, especially "onion" rings!! I was the same way, always ordered them at the restaurant. Pulled out the onion and ate the deep fried batter. Until I got older and realized the onion was tasty too!!

Greenmother
04-23-2011, 01:18 AM
I always thought that big white onions were hotter than the other kinds. But ?! I like the yellow granex and the sweet reds and bunching greens myself, and I grow shallots and garlic. So I love onions. One reason I don't grow white onions or yellow ones in my front yard is that I have these naturalized bulbs called Star of Bethlehem. And they have tops that could be confused with an onion and white bulbs like pearl onions. So I only grow red onions in the front so no one gets them confused. If it isn't red---don't put it in your mouth. The flowerstems, leaves-bulbs are poisonous, some kind of glycoside --no good. :(

MoonSprite
04-23-2011, 01:54 AM
Huh. I almost always use white. They are slightly sweeter than yellow, imo.

I love-love-love raw red onions but eat them for hours afterwards {blech}.

Busygoddess
04-23-2011, 07:32 AM
Yes, especially "onion" rings!! I was the same way, always ordered them at the restaurant. Pulled out the onion and ate the deep fried batter. Until I got older and realized the onion was tasty too!!

I did that, too! I hated onions as a kid (probably because they usually came with mushrooms & liver in our house). Now, I like them, but still go through phases of not wanting onions at all.