PDA

View Full Version : Whew!!!Bad Math day!

tonyahunting
04-21-2011, 03:41 PM
DS is 7 and ending the year focusing on multipulcation and division. We were doing a multipulcation worksheet that should have taken about 3-5 minutes. It was his last task for the day. He was not in the mood and took about 20-25 minutes to do it. On days like this is better to make him do it, or just take it away for another day? He knows how to multiply but I found myself having to remind him how to do it on every problem. A couple of minutes before the worksheet we did problems on the board with no trouble. Whew what a day!

dbmamaz
04-21-2011, 04:31 PM
yeah, sometimes it just takes every ounce of energy to be patient! we were finishing up the free book from scholiastic worksheet today . . . we dont really do much at all in teh way of worksheets, and he's really not writing. the math stuff went fast, but the word stuff required masive hand-holding and nudging. I just hope we didnt miss out on the books!

Kirsji
04-21-2011, 04:34 PM
We have those days here! I just take the sheet away and take it out the next day - sometimes even the next week - to let them have another go.

My daughter has skipped over two chapter tests on long division to do something more fun ... measuring volume and learning Roman numerals. I am fairly certain when I pull out the long division tests next week, she'll feel better about it and do them well.

Sometimes they just need a mental day!
Heck, sometimes I don't feel like doing laundry, so I wait a day ... or 4 ... before taking it up again! :p

Aandwsmom
04-21-2011, 06:15 PM
We stop for the day here. Oldest DS has issues with Math. Tuesday was one of the meltdown days. He didnt understand it and had worked himself into a fit by the time I sat down to restart it with him..... we dropped it for the day. Not worth it. When he gets that way, the more I push.... the worse he gets and it transfers to the rest of the day. No thank you.
So, we just drop it and start again the next day.
HUGS to you and your son.....

hockeymom
04-21-2011, 06:28 PM
We generally stop too. We've been having a lot of resistance around here the past couple of weeks so we're taking a serious break. I struggle too, though, with wondering whether or not I should make him push through when the going gets tough or just let it go for the day; usually the meltdowns just aren't worth it.

Kylie
04-21-2011, 06:48 PM
This is a tough one isn't it. We generally stop with my younger but with my eldest 9 we can normally work through the issues together and get back on track. I guess it all depneds on the child doesn't it. I struggle because there is a part of me that feels if I take the work away every time they have a fit then it may just get easier to have the fit than do the work ;-)

tonyahunting
04-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Thanks guys. We pushed through and he he picked up the pace at the end, but in the future I think I will just take it away and bring it back the next day, or next week. It is not worth the meltdown, or him feeling bad. Thanks.

Aandwsmom
04-21-2011, 08:30 PM
The way I look at it.... sometimes we as grownups get tired and cannot finish a project OR it isnt going the way we like so we have to step away before we get upset. This could mean we take a day or 2 before we tackle it.

Kids are the same way and rather than meltdown... we skip it.