PDA

View Full Version : Celebs Who Homeschool - Interesting Article

ginnyjf
04-16-2010, 10:22 AM
Celebs Who Homeschool (http://www.onlineuniversities.com/blog/2010/04/10-celebs-who-homeschool-their-kids/)

Not that we should probably care what the average celebrity does with his/her personal life, but I did find this interesting...except the author of the article used "past" where "passed" should have been used. I notice things like that. Someone smack me. :)

Shoe
04-16-2010, 10:31 AM
That's a quite diverse and interesting group of celebrities. One can only hope that home schooling will get a bit of a boost by having some big names as homeschoolers...

dbmamaz
04-16-2010, 03:28 PM
I like this - reposting to facebook .. . . thanks

Snoopy
04-16-2010, 04:40 PM
I seem to remember Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt walking Maddox into a school in NYC back when they were there filming something there (last year or year before) so I'm not sure that he's really homeschooled. Also, do we count people who have outside tutors as homeschoolers? Would that mean that every child actor who gets tutored on set is homeschooled? If so, why aren't they listed? Not criticizing, just wondering...

ginnyjf
04-16-2010, 04:55 PM
Haha, never mind! I just thought it was a fun article. :)

Snoopy
04-16-2010, 04:59 PM
No, it is. Did I kill your fun? I didn't mean to. I'm actually wondering all of this, lol. Sorry Ginny!

Melyssa
04-16-2010, 05:19 PM
I also read a good article once about Pat Benatar homeschooling her kids on their tour bus and she did it herself, no tutors.

dbmamaz
04-16-2010, 08:49 PM
The article pointed out in the beginning that they were contrasting the kids who were schooled on set when THEY were stars, to the kids OF stars being 'home schooled'. In Virginia, hiring a private tutor is one of the 'home school' options - if the tutor is a liscenced teacher, you dont need to hand in the end of year proof of progress. Its almost the opposite of our discussion of virtual schools . . . the tutor could concievably do a perfectly individualized education for the child. While many people home school because they want to spend more time with their kids, there are plenty who home school because they dont like the job the school is doing, because they are travelling, or because of specail needs - and all those motivations were mentioned in the article.

danielle
04-20-2010, 09:02 AM
interesting...

CroppinMom
04-20-2010, 06:46 PM
I agree with Shoe, that is a pretty diverse group. Although, I guess it says something about how much my view of "normal" has changed in the past year that I finished the list and thought to myself - Those were the only ones they could find? I mean in the whole world of sports stars, Hollywood who's who, and politicians and that is it?

Trisha
04-24-2010, 01:15 AM
What drives me nuts is when they write that Brad and Angelina have adopted three kids "as well as three of their own children", as though the adopted kids aren't their own as well. Not that it has to do with homeschooling... :)

lovemylife
04-30-2010, 01:12 PM
Trisha

Off topic but I noticed that too. I was adopted as a newborn, and in turn DH and I adopted our youngest child when he was 10 months old (he is now 3.5). I dislike when an author (or anyone for that matter) feels the need to distinguish between biological and adopted family members by referring to only bio kids in context as " their own". Sometimes I educate others about the distinction. Sometimes I don't say anything but will just raise an eyebrow at the comment :)

Jumping down from my soapbox now!