PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Table vs. Desk vs. ???

lilypoo
04-18-2011, 02:49 AM
We've largely been "kitchen table" homeschoolers. We got the older kids desks for their rooms when they were 7 and 11 and they've only recently begun using them (they're 12 and almost-16 now) and that was only out of desperation because their younger siblings were driving them crazy. ;)

Now I've got a 4 and 6yo too and we usually do everything from crafts to schoolwork at the kitchen table. We don't have a formal dining room so only one table is available for crafts or eating, which can be a problem at times.

I do have our family room (off the breakfast nook, where our table lives) set up with all our crafts and educational posters, etc. My own sewing and crafting stuff is in there too. I'm considering getting a child-sized work-table or perhaps two kid-sized desks for the family room area, because I'm growing tired of having to move crafts/schoolwork off the table to eat, or ending up doing crafts/school in a sticky mess because someone forgot to clean the table or didn't clean it well.

I'm wondering what other families do?

lakshmi
04-18-2011, 03:22 AM
Kitchen table. Most painting happens outside. and Cutting can only happen in the kitchen, just because the floor is easier to sweep. We just got a tiny school desk which is fun, but not very practical.

inmom
04-18-2011, 07:45 AM
Kitchen table is the primary location for homeschooling here. My two also have a desk to use in their bedroom, but only use it when they feel distracted.

hockeymom
04-18-2011, 08:16 AM
Kitchen/dining room table (one and the same). I'd be open to having a dedicated "school room" in our next house IF it were open to the rest of the house, like a parlor or formal dining room that we wouldn't otherwise use. I could see making that kind of space really organic and fun.

Aandwsmom
04-18-2011, 09:02 AM
Kitchen table, though it was installed for their homeschooling. It is a short bar table the attaches to the IKEA shelving we have to organize the homeschool stuff and daycare stuff. It is just large enough for each boy to sit one on each side with their computers. We tried them doing schoolwork in their room on their computers but unsupervised, we had websurfing issues(teenage boys!) so that was stopped! All computer work is done in the kitchen, reading and writing is their choice, kitchen table or their room. Most of the time because of daycare kids.... they go to their room.

Pilgrim
04-18-2011, 09:18 AM
I've got a 4 and 6yo too and we usually do everything from crafts to schoolwork at the kitchen table. We don't have a formal dining room so only one table is available for crafts or eating, which can be a problem at times.

I'm wondering what other families do?

We have the same problem: one 4-person table for eating and crafts and schoolwork. It is also our dumping and collection station. It's a real pain, though it's nice to have everyone in the same room.

We have a playroom that I am converting slowly into a school room. There are two small desks, one with a pc for the kids and DD has taken over the other with her sewing stuff. There's also a small table at which DS does his school work these days. My plan is to continue to transition this into a more dedicated school room--move out more toys and freeing up our poor, overused kitchen table.

Ariadne
04-18-2011, 09:20 AM
We have a "school" room now, something I'd always wanted even if it was just a place to keep all my stuff in one place. After our house fire my kids all voted to rework the bedroom situation so that we could turn the largest bedroom into a classroom. *They* wanted this, and I have had no regrets. Now when anyone needs a map/globe/dictionary/certain books/art supplies/science experiment supplies...they're all in one room.

The best part is not having stuff all over the kitchen table, something that used to drive my husband batsh** crazy.

We do have books on shelves all over the house, though. But those aren't "school"; they're life.

CatInTheSun
04-18-2011, 09:49 AM
We're all over the house and hsing was in our minds when we looked at houses. You definitely know this is a kid-centric house when you arrive!

Formal dining became our tv room, formal living is our schoolroom with storage, a library table for work, and a couch by a window for reading. Old dining table in our family room used for math and writing, computer table in a nook (with microscope connected to Mac), kids' table and chairs for crafts in our eat-in-dining -- only place we don't work is the (counter-height) dining table! A couch in the playroom for more reading. We have an old 30s school desk, more for fun (coloring books stored inside). Chalkboard on wall in center of house. My office/craftroom is only grudgingly opened when the older kids need to do something toddler-free.

So, school happens everywhere, but the biggest thing to me is having a place to store all the materials and crafts. Next in importance is a couple nice comfy places for dd to do her reading in peace and for us to snuggle during story time.

farrarwilliams
04-18-2011, 10:06 AM
Dining room table. The need to eat helps us get it clean when we might not otherwise, honestly.

MarkInMD
04-18-2011, 10:17 AM
Last year was kitchen table, leaving the chalkboard in the basement woefully underutilized because we didn't have a table there. This year, we got a deal on a nice (heavy!) granite table with a crack in it that is sitting right in front of the chalkboard. All the books, workbooks, and binders are over to the right of the table. It's working well, but we still don't manage to keep it free of clutter.

dbmamaz
04-18-2011, 10:23 AM
We dont do crafts for the most part, but everything is done on the dining room table. (the breakfast nook table is where we feed the cats and its really small, so its barely used). Every morning as the start of school we clean the table together (7 yo shakes off placemats and sorts to reusable or needs washing, older son picks up all other 'stuff' and i clean). Before dinner, older son has to clean off all the stuff and younger son puts back the placemats.

but no crafts, not for anyone. or only occasionally. like twice a year.

MrsLOLcat
04-18-2011, 10:43 AM
I have actual school desks that I picked up for a bargain off of Craigslist. I went out to buy one and the neighbor came out and said that she had a second that she'd sell for the same price. So both kids have a desk. They love their desks. We move them in front of the TV for easy movie dinners, M1 does school at his, M2 does some crafts at hers. Large crafts get done on the dining room floor. We tried using the dining room table for a few weeks, but I quickly discovered that paper is a magnet for any food particles that haven't been cleaned off, and if M1 gets his paper dirty/gritty/greasy, he won't write on it. Desks were the only option. We have to put them in the hall at Christmastime because they live in the corner where we put up our tree.

I really, really want a bigger house...

Mack's Mom
04-18-2011, 11:06 AM
We have a gigantic kitchen island and my daughter loves to sit there and do her work. We don't do art/crafts stuff, but her science experiments are done there also.

schwartzkari
04-18-2011, 11:12 AM
My daughter has a desk in her room but she doesn't use it that much. We homeschool at the dining room table and the kitchen island, lol. Arts and crafts are usually outside on the back patio or done in the garage. Science projects sit on the kitchen window sill. When we were building our house, we had some serious shelving installed in our pantry/laundry room. On one side we have our canned goods and other foods and on the other side we have our homeschool supplies. In my daughter's room, I keep the books and assignments she is working on in her bookcase. Homeschool is completely spread out through my house. It works though!

Dutchbabiesx2
04-18-2011, 11:39 AM
While I have a dedicated school room, we do most of our school work on the floor! we lay on the floor and read or write, math and games- on the floor. I have these nice desks I got from Bed, Bath and Beyond that are adjustable and they can use them sitting on the edge of the day bed in that room or sitting on exercise balls. But mostly it is on the floor, even if we move to another part of the house, it is on the floor!

rumbledolly
04-18-2011, 12:11 PM
I have a dedicated school room though we're not chained to it. We use if for mostly the quiet time sort of work like Math and L/A. I have an issue with neatness so it's far easier to have everything here where I can close the door once we're finished for the day. It's a very small bedroom we never really used because with a regular bed you have to crawl across it to open the closet door.

We do art and science experiments in our kitchen or dining area (which is on our enclosed summer porch - meaning we can't afford to heat it in the winter). On snowy or rainy days we tend to just plop ourselves on the sofa in the living room and work from there.

Once we're able to redo our kitchen, right now our kitchen is the size of a pantry so we took over the actual dining room to become our kitchen, our pantry will become our larger bathroom and laundry room (this will occur when money falls out of the sky) then I'm hoping to have an area downstairs as our classroom and turn our current classroom back into a bedroom/guest room by adding a daybed to it.

wife&mommy
04-18-2011, 12:35 PM
We have a dedicated school room, but we never use it. It is upstairs and it is the only room upstairs, sort of like a bonus room, and we just don't go up there much.

higgledypiggledy
04-18-2011, 02:09 PM
My daughter created an office for herself in a little nook in the living room. It has an old desk hand me down, her drawer tower of stuff and supplies and a bookshelf. She arranged it to be a very cozy little spot. My others are all over the place. My FAVORITE desks are what I call airplane tables. You can sometimes find them at school district sales when they get rid of cool stuff they think is obsolete. An airplane table has a series of selves in the middle with wings as table surface coming out from the tower. They are great for a single kid to spread their work out--work on crafts on one side and then have a cleanish space on the other for work. I love them!!!! Ours has a formica top at least I think that is what it is. Its the stuff from the fifties that is indestructable unlike the surfaces on most kids furniture today with paper wood grain laminated to a cheap surface. These tables are usually solid oak. I can't imagine why schools tossed. They are fantastic and the shelves in the middle hold a fair amount of books and supplies. They come in short versions for little kids and bigger versions for middle/high school age kids.

fbfamily111
04-18-2011, 02:23 PM
I had a really nice huge school room, with a big crafting table/desk. Since we've moved we're back to the kitchen table, sigh. It really seems to make no difference to the kids though, as long as they're together, seperate desks would not work for us. We spend a lot of time on the couch with me reading, while they draw or roll around on the floor.

jess
04-18-2011, 04:52 PM
Dining room table. The need to eat helps us get it clean when we might not otherwise, honestly.
Same here. I can definitely see a dedicated homeschool table getting unmanageable quickly.

DS has a desk, but doesn't particularly want to use it. And, though he complains about distractions, I think he works better with supervision and easy access to help.

Pilgrim
04-18-2011, 05:04 PM
In nicer weather, like now, we set up a folding table or two in the garage for nature studies and crafts, from painting to clay work. It helps keep the mess out of the house. There is also lots of storage out there for supplies.

Ariadne
04-18-2011, 05:41 PM
Same here. I can definitely see a dedicated homeschool table getting unmanageable quickly.We've had that issue but have learned to manage it. Everyone likes working at the table when it's neat so that helps.

And, though he complains about distractions, I think he works better with supervision and easy access to help.Ditto in our house. What helps with the distractions is an iPod. He listens to music while sitting right next to me in case he has questions.

On the whole, though, when we're doing seat work I work hard to keep things reasonably quiet. "That's an unnecessary noise" comes out of my mouth a lot. Whispered of course, lol.

Busygoddess
04-19-2011, 05:26 AM
We've been using the dining room table and a small table pulled out into the living room. They've had desks for years, but haven't used them much. However, lately they have been asking me to pull their desks out. So, we're in the process of redoing the dining room (which we use as a schoolroom) into a more proper schoolroom. The school bookcase is already in there & one chest of drawers of craft supplies. We're moving the school cabinet, another chest of drawers, and their desks into the room (hopefull this week). The dining room table will be moved to the arts & crafts room (3-season porch). We have another dining room table that is going into the office. So, they'll be able to work at their desks in the schoolroom, the computer desk in the office, or the table in the office. The table in the arts & crafts room will be for storing the projects while they dry, harden, wait to be fininshed, etc. We may use the table in the arts & crafts room to eat sometimes (when the weather is nice), but we'll mainly use the table in the office. I wasn't going to do all of this, but the kids have been requesting their desks for a little while now. I think they are finally coming to the conclusion that school will be easier if they cut down the distractions (which was why we bought the desks to begin with).

JinxieFox
04-19-2011, 05:41 AM
We live in a cozy little flat, so it is mostly couch-schooling or kitchen-table-schooling for us. ;) Before moving into such a small place, it was 50-50 between a desk and dining room table. Though we have a lovely garden out here (reminds me of "The Secret Garden"), so we may do some garden-schooling when my son comes to stay for the summer! LOL

Cheryl
04-19-2011, 10:20 AM
my formal living room (solves the problem of never decorating it) and our sunroom are our school areas. Sunroom is a little distracting though. So hard when one of the kids gets completely distracted by a family of birds for HOURS and never gets any work done, lol. The middle school I went to had no windows. none. I thought it was so unatural never to see the light of day for 7 hours. Now, I kinda get it

In the works our walkout basement will soon be our school room/bar/TV/library/air hockey, smack down area.

We have about 25 acres of land and have often thought about building a little red school house, bell and all, on the property. Might be cheaper than completely gutting the basement

Aandwsmom
04-19-2011, 11:31 AM
I am TOTALLY envious of those of you that have a seperate dedicated homeschool area!
My house is SO tiny but comes with almost 1/4 acre which in the city is BIG.
My kitchen/backporch was opened as 1 large room at some point so it serves as my kitchen, daycare toy area, laundry, and homeschool central.
It works but I would love a house with a daycare room and a homeschool room that doesnt exist in my kitchen!LOL

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
04-19-2011, 05:17 PM
We have about 25 acres of land and have often thought about building a little red school house, bell and all, on the property. Might be cheaper than completely gutting the basement

How cool would that be?! And away from the distractions of the non-school stuff in the house.

If you do that, you have to make them bring their lunch in little metal pails to complete the effect. :)

49cats
04-19-2011, 08:23 PM
Wow...I hear so many people saying they get all together to do school. We spend so much time trying to figure out how to separate my 3 boys in our 1100 sq ft house...We do some stuff together, and a little more often the twins together and the singleton separate, but they're always arguing over who gets the porch, the boys' bedroom, or my bedroom, then insisting on the living room which is not far enough away from any room! They all have desks on the porch, and they do use their desks at different times most days, but mostly the desks serve as a personal place for them to store their school stuff.

lilypoo
04-20-2011, 03:52 AM
It sounds like the kitchen table is a very common place! :) Being that our family room is adjacent and all the supplies are in there (I have a 5x5 Expedit that houses all the arts/crafts stuff and the younger kids' "school" books) it seems like perhaps a table in there just for the kids would be helpful. Of course that room in carpeted and the breakfast nook is tile, so I'm probably stuck with keeping messy crafts at the kitchen table. It'd be nice if my 6yo could keep some work in progress out without it being disturbed at every meal though. I'm thinking of building this for the family room:

http://www.ana-white.com/2009/11/plan-kids-thanksgiving-table-elementary.html

I don't call that room a schoolroom because it seems formal to call it that and we shun formality ;) but it'd be nice to have the extra workspace. I used to have a big craft table as well and am missing that also so I might build myself a tall workstation. Then if the little kids want, they can work a little closer to me if I'm sewing. :) It would also keep my beading supplies off the kitchen table! :)

Miguels mommy
04-20-2011, 05:24 AM
Mostly on the couch. We just found out we may move to a larger home this next week.

Cheryl
04-20-2011, 08:39 AM
How cool would that be?! And away from the distractions of the non-school stuff in the house.

If you do that, you have to make them bring their lunch in little metal pails to complete the effect. :)

lol. yep and they will wear homespun dresses and ride the donkey after all their farm chores ae done of course ROTFLMBO! one of my kids is reading Little House On the Prairie now, she is so into it. lol

wife&mommy
04-20-2011, 09:11 AM
It sounds like the kitchen table is a very common place! :) Being that our family room is adjacent and all the supplies are in there (I have a 5x5 Expedit that houses all the arts/crafts stuff and the younger kids' "school" books) it seems like perhaps a table in there just for the kids would be helpful. Of course that room in carpeted and the breakfast nook is tile, so I'm probably stuck with keeping messy crafts at the kitchen table. It'd be nice if my 6yo could keep some work in progress out without it being disturbed at every meal though. I'm thinking of building this for the family room:

http://www.ana-white.com/2009/11/plan-kids-thanksgiving-table-elementary.html

Oh another project for my husband. :) I have a list of about 10 things from that site I want him to make. LOL

rumbledolly
04-20-2011, 10:17 AM
lol. yep and they will wear homespun dresses and ride the donkey after all their farm chores ae done of course ROTFLMBO! one of my kids is reading Little House On the Prairie now, she is so into it. lol

Wow you have a donkey? You should train the donkey to do the farm chores so you'll have more time to clean the hearth!

We also use the front porch (enclosed) to do school work - especially now that it's warmer (though today it's 42 degrees and raining...ugh). We'll use it until November unless my DH has the time and money to insulate this year but that's not looking good at the moment.

Back to churning butter and getting the hog ready for slaughter!

Satori
04-20-2011, 11:28 PM
We don't use our kitchen table at all, it has glass panels on it and came with the house.

But I love using tables for homeschooling! We can work together on it and spread out our stuff... The trick is to keep it clean enough to work on though. We have individual desks too, but we only use them if we're working on the computer.

Everytime I see a nice big table that looks like it would be good to write on, I drool. I'd love ours to be just a little bit bigger.

Kylie
04-21-2011, 02:32 AM
Oh dear we use everything, desks, kitchen table, kitchen bench (especially if I am working in the kitchen) lounge room floor, and today we were outside on a rug!

Bellanina
04-21-2011, 11:39 AM
computer table in a nook (with microscope connected to Mac)

Tell me more please! Where did you get the microscope that hooks to the Mac? I would love one of those!

ClassicalLearning
04-25-2011, 11:57 AM
We converted a downstairs bedroom into a "school". We added a large folding table and a large spare L shaped desk for my son's pc. We have a spare shelf for books and we stuff everything else, like supplies, into the closet (which is full of shelves). We even have room to roll his HUGE inflatable globe into the closet. However, we still tend to do some work at the breakfast nook, and all science experiments are done at the kitchen island. Living in sunny CA, we have the fun of doing "pool history", which means I read or ask questions and my son swims around. It gets him good exercise and he loves history. It makes it really nice for just chilling and chatting about the past.

Busygoddess
04-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Ok, last week we rearranged stuff, set up the school room (as they requested), and rearranged the arts & crafts room. Since we finished, they have asked to do schoolwork in the arts & crafts room every day and ask to eat out there, too. Over the weekend, we played family games (Yahtzee) out there. So, the arts & crafts room is getting plenty of use, but the school room isn't.:)

Stella M
04-25-2011, 09:35 PM
Kitchen table :) Kids all have a desk but they prefer to work at the table or on the sofa, the bed, the floor - anywhere but the desk!

We just clear off the table before lunch and before dinner.

When the kids were smaller, we did have a little table and chairs in the kitchen for them to glue and glitter and cut and colour at. So that isn't a bad idea with littlies.

CatInTheSun
04-26-2011, 08:46 AM
Tell me more please! Where did you get the microscope that hooks to the Mac? I would love one of those!

I got a Celestron 44421 2Mpixel digital microscope imager for around $40. It fits into an eyepiece tube on a microscope and connects to a USB port. [The 44420 is the discontinued half Mp predecessor you'll sometimes see for sale often for $10 more.] The software they provide is for a PC, but you can use Photobooth to view the images (once you connect it, the usb camera will show up under the "camera" menu). Of course you can then also save a pic of what you are viewing right in Photobooth.

http://www.celestron.com/c3/product.php?CatID=81&ProdID=616

There are fancier (and still free) options to do the image capture on a Mac, but I haven't bothered with that yet. Right now it's just great to be able to view the scope images on the iMac. If you haven't already, seriously consider investing in a set of prepared slides (I got a set of 100 for $50 that cover everything from mosquito mouth parts to frog lungs to plant stems).

Both my scopes (one compound, one stereo) have a 3rd eyepiece I use (so I can still use it like a "regular" viewing scope with the 44421 attached). Since it just slides down the tube, you can also switch it out with the soft rubber eyepiece easily. It's tough to get (and keep) the imager in focus at the same time as the regular eyepieces (you have to get it just the right amount down the tube), so I just focus while looking at the iMac screen.

HTHs!

farrarwilliams
04-26-2011, 11:04 AM
Wow. Thank you for that info, CatInTheSun! I'm trying to figure out if it's compatible with our Celestron 44101, but I think it should be from what the site says. Wishlist!

ETA: hm... maybe not compatible? I'll have to figure that out... later... when my brain is working...

Becca
07-17-2011, 12:46 PM

We have done this (well kinda, it's not ones of those little red school houses, but it is a 'house' next to our house we use as homeschool)
It really works great for us. We have 'real' school furniture (tables, desks, chairs, lofts, bookshelves, sand/water table, lockers etc.) and furniture from IKEA.

aleo1203
08-05-2011, 08:54 PM
I would like to get my son a desk, I think it would prepare him for more challenging studies. He needs to learn how to focus on his own.

octobersky69
08-15-2011, 09:56 AM
We are lucky enough to have a 12 x 12 room off of the laundry room on our mid level, which is our school room, however depending on the subject we can be found at the kitchen table for science and home ec stuff, LR couch and coffee table for reading, and sometimes math, History in school rm because of maps and such... Bit of we did not have this room, we would be at the coffee table or Kitchen table..

Lee
08-17-2011, 06:40 AM
Hi...,
Thanks for sharing this informative post my dear.I have one desk to use in the bedroom for it.I think kitchen table(dining table) is the first location for done home work here.
Nice sharing...Keep it up

hreneeh
08-17-2011, 08:51 AM
Um we use a closet! My son's bedroom has a walk-in closet. So we got a $19.99 desk from Ikea, some drawers and use the top rack of his hanging bar to keep materials (this means 2 yr old can't get too them as well). We each sit on a beanbag chair while I'm "teaching" and then when he's working he's at his desk. I tried the dining room table (and we still use it for projects) but with a 2 yr old, she just bothers the heck out of him even when I try to engage her in "school" of her own. This way he can shut and lock his door and do work. He's a rule follower and so far we haven't had surfing issues. His computer is heavily locked down and I can monitor what page he's on at any given time from my computer (in my walk-in closet).

Staysee34
08-17-2011, 09:17 AM
We are currently in the process of buying a house that is split into 3 apartments. The first floor unit is 3 bedrooms, kitchen, living room, bath, and dining with a full basement. The dining room has been claimed as our learning place but I suspect we will be whole house learners. I've very excited about the whole thing because we are currently living in a very crammed 2 bedroom unit with absolutely no extra space. I thought I would be starting our school year at our tiny kitchen table but turns out we'll be moving just in the nick of time.

lakshmi
08-20-2011, 02:17 AM
His computer is heavily locked down and I can monitor what page he's on at any given time from my computer (in my walk-in closet).

oooo... how do you do that? monitor that is, not make closests into classrooms... ; )

Melyssa
08-20-2011, 02:35 AM
We've done kitchen table, office desks, school desks, craft tables, various rooms...and the place my daughter likes best? THE FLOOR! She likes to spread out her stuff and work on the floor or the coffee table. For reading and computer tasks she prefers to curl up on the sofa. She has a nice desk in her room but only uses it to dump all her crap.

eilla05
08-23-2011, 09:08 PM
For now for us it is at the kitchen table. But I have already told the hubs that once we move I plan to turn a spare room (that I hope we have) into a school room if I am going to continue to HS. I can't stand the clutter and crap everywhere honestly and I need things to have a dedicated spot and be super organized so as not to go crazy or waste time looking for things. The only things I can stand to look at are books :)

happykid25
08-24-2011, 02:41 AM
We've done kitchen table, office desks, school desks, craft tables, various rooms...and the place my daughter likes best? THE FLOOR! She likes to spread out her stuff and work on the floor or the coffee table. For reading and computer tasks she prefers to curl up on the sofa. She has a nice desk in her room but only uses it to dump all her crap.

I so wish we could reclaim the floor as our school surface, however, my 9 month old has put a stop to that. Maybe when he's three we can move back to the floor. The kitchen table, small kids table and couch are our main spots for schoolish activities and even those can be tough with the little one.

Story time on the couch is interesting with a baby standing there screaming at you because your paying some attention to the bigger one, but you can't pick him up because then he just squirms and wants to crawl all over you or eat the books. I have dad come to watch the little one, but then the big one wants to play with dad and baby because that's way more fun than reading books.

We'll get it worked out eventually. Just can't wait for the return of the FLOOR!!!

lilypoo
01-11-2012, 06:54 PM
I thought I'd update! :) I've fully converted the family to a craft/school area. I have my Ikea Mikal desk in here with two folding conference tables (a temporary measure, in the future we're going to build two rustic tables roughly the same size). I also have a small dresser, two 5x5 Expedits and two low wire shelving units for storage. This has allowed me to get ALL my office, school, science, art supplies, craft supplies and games into one room! Now the kids and I can work together when I'm on my computer or crafting and the kitchen table is just a few steps away if we need it as well, but it's not completely dominated by school anymore. The room is large so the floor is mostly open as well, since they do like to work on the floor. We have room (barely) for a loveseat as well...that makes a nice reading area. We moved our TV area to our upstairs loft (whch used to function primarily as my office...we still have our "main" desktop computers up there because it has built-in desks) and that's also where the kids are supposed to play. I made a rule that no toys come downstairs, unless they're in-hand. That way, the noise and clutter of the younger kids' toys stays away from the older kids when they're working on school. Our 16yo still has her PC in her room and as she starts college, we're giving her the freedom to do her work in her room...we've had problems in the past with her being distracted and playing WoW or browsing the web, so we'll have to monitor that. ;)

Shoe
01-11-2012, 07:03 PM
I thought I'd update! :) I've fully converted the family to a craft/school area. I have my Ikea Mikal desk in here with two folding conference tables (a temporary measure, in the future we're going to build two rustic tables roughly the same size). I also have a small dresser, two 5x5 Expedits and two low wire shelving units for storage. This has allowed me to get ALL my office, school, science, art supplies, craft supplies and games into one room! Now the kids and I can work together when I'm on my computer or crafting and the kitchen table is just a few steps away if we need it as well, but it's not completely dominated by school anymore. The room is large so the floor is mostly open as well, since they do like to work on the floor. We have room (barely) for a loveseat as well...that makes a nice reading area. We moved our TV area to our upstairs loft (whch used to function primarily as my office...we still have our "main" desktop computers up there because it has built-in desks) and that's also where the kids are supposed to play. I made a rule that no toys come downstairs, unless they're in-hand. That way, the noise and clutter of the younger kids' toys stays away from the older kids when they're working on school. Our 16yo still has her PC in her room and as she starts college, we're giving her the freedom to do her work in her room...we've had problems in the past with her being distracted and playing WoW or browsing the web, so we'll have to monitor that. ;)Sounds like a good set up you've put together. We just go with whatever works-kitchen table, couch, bed, etc. As long as they get their work done, I don't care much where they do it.

Kell
01-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Sounds absolutely fantastic. We're definitely "school room" people. Mostly for the fact that I could never keep everything I needed close enough to the dining room for it to be convenient. Enjoy your new surroundings!

Patricia Ellis Herr
01-15-2012, 01:34 PM
While I have a dedicated school room, we do most of our school work on the floor! we lay on the floor and read or write, math and games- on the floor. I have these nice desks I got from Bed, Bath and Beyond that are adjustable and they can use them sitting on the edge of the day bed in that room or sitting on exercise balls. But mostly it is on the floor, even if we move to another part of the house, it is on the floor!

LOL, that's us too. With the exception of one easy chair that everyone loves and is usually occupied by our cats, the kids prefer the floor to chairs. I don't know we we ever bought furniture. :)

Juno
02-07-2012, 01:41 AM
I turned the upstairs bedroom into a school room I made a very low table and gave my daughter a bouncy ball to sit on and do her work. The bouncy ball may have been great for her but it literally drove me out of my mind. We then tried the kitchen table but she was sooooo distracted we moved back up stairs to the school room.This year we stayed with the school room we have every thing we need up stairs and when we go up there then we are officially started for the day. The school room seems to keep my daughter and son on task and me on task as well. Before I would get distracted by all the things I still needed to get done. We did get some desks though and they were so excited. My kids are six and seven and have never been to school so I am sure this was a factor.

mamakaty
02-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Until last month, we used the kitchen table for most of it. However, I rearranged and we now have a small "schoolroom" that we do a lot of our work in. It has the desktop computer, a worktable, the whiteboard, and bookshelves. All of our school stuff is either in there or on my desk & bookshelf in my "office" that is in the master bedroom, lol. We also sit in the living room for reading time, or when watching a netflix movie, etc. Then there's the car, which is my "mobile office", since we're in there so much.

crkirby
03-04-2012, 09:47 PM
We use the coffee table, it seems to be the best place for us at the moment. I have two milk crates that the girls use for their "school stuff" and that is kept in our game room/craft room/school room area, and then they just tote them into the living room when it's time for us to do schoolwork.

The "other" room is like another living room, and it has my sewing/craft area, then another couch & their toys, plus shelves of schooling stuff. The eventual plan is to get some kind of table to go in there....but, *shrug* as of right now, my kids (8 & 5) like the living room coffee table....and if they are happy, I'm happy!

BleepyBloop
03-10-2012, 11:48 AM
We use our dinning room table. I wish we had a dedicated room for hs but don't have the space. It is a bit tricky because dh doesn't want the lounge to look like a school so I have a tray with our books and workbooks, so I can put it away if we have visitors. I feel really jealous when I see other hs with cute little room with banners and posters on the wall and all...:p

mratts
03-10-2012, 11:08 PM
I'm with you there! We're looking to buy a house in the next year and one of my main requests is an extra room we can use as a classroom. I want the posters on the wall! I want all the books in one place instead of sticking them on whatever shelf they fit onto! And I want a living room that's not filled with school supplies. I keep saying to my son, "someday!" Until then, the couch with a lap pad or clip board works, and the kitchen table will do if lil sis is being a pest.