PDA

View Full Version : should I force Art class?

Cheryl
04-16-2011, 01:59 PM
So the kids took an Art class this year. $75 for 12 weeks. The teacher is a HS veteran (3 kids pre-K-high school; all successful, working, college grads;2 engineers and a Social worker) The teacher has an Art degree and taught Art at a college level. They all like her as a teacher and the teacher has said there is no issue with the kids.

The class reminds me of my Art appreciation class from college. It's not just a bunch of coloring that they were doing in their private school. They are actually learning the elements of Art. I am *very* pleased with the course.

My son however, isn't. He has already said he doesn't want to do it next year, "its boring". I get that, I do. He is "all boy" and really just cares about sports and getting dirty. BUT, it really is a good class that he is learning a lot from. Do I force this? I mean it's Art. I hate Art myself. I swear the word "crafty" make me break out in hives, which is why I pay people to teach it. They also take a craft class for their glue and glitter outlet-----where is that benadryl :) I don't want him to hate anything Art related but I do want him to appreciated it. His sisters all want to take it again next year for the second part of the 7 elements. Even the non-craft girls like it.

what should I do? it's only an hour class once a week

farrarwilliams
04-16-2011, 02:11 PM
What a great price and a great sounding class!

But if he's not into it... maybe don't force it. Could that become your special time with him instead - the hour that you spend away from the girls? Maybe he'd be more into a different sort of art learning. Have you see the Mark Kistler videos online? They cost money, but a bunch of them are free to try out. Or maybe more like a comics drawing kind of thing? There are a lot of books for that. And maybe after a semester away, he'd want to try it again. Or maybe make a deal that he can opt out every other time?

pansypower
04-16-2011, 03:31 PM
This sounds like a great experience for him. I would probably offer an incentive for going to the class.

As a college student I have learned that sometimes its not about studying what you would like but doing something you do not want to do very well. We don't always get to pick and choose our classes.

How long does he have left?

schwartzkari
04-16-2011, 04:39 PM
I've always thought of art class as an extra curricular. My daughter loves art and has taken classes at a local studio. We can't afford the studio classes this year so I bought her an age appropriate art history book and a book of crafts that she can do on her own time.

One of the reasons I like homeschooling so much is because the choices of what to study or participate in are endless. I wouldn't force the art classes on him, especially if he finds them boring.

Also, you really did find a great deal on the art classes! The class I signed my daughter up for charged $180 for 8 weeks. Hence the reason we can't afford it again this year, lol.

Martha
04-16-2011, 04:42 PM
As someone who didn't do art wi my older kids - yes I would.

There is a LOT more learned and mental growth done by the study and implementation of art than many people, including myself for many years, comprehend.

I see the benefits of it in my younger kids and see how it could have made many things a bit easier with my older children.

mommykicksbutt
04-16-2011, 06:59 PM
I wouldn't force it. My now 14 y.o. son has zero interest in art even though I love it. He is exposed to art though. Every time we go on vacation it seems we end up spending an afternoon in an art museum. When we study history I always include some info of the art of the era. If your son is not interested in the hands on class with a live teacher don't push him or you'll turn him off to it for good. Just expose him to it when the opportunity arises. Later, maybe even as an adult, he may develop an interest to know more and pursue it then.

On a similar note, with our daughter it was music. We did the piano lessons and she was just so-so, she wasn't thrilled with it but didn't hate it either, after a couple of years we moved and went through piano teachers like Kleenex trying to find one that was a good fit. When we finally settle upon a teacher our daughter rebelled about continuing, we didn't force her to go and we dropped piano altogether. She was 11 and had played for about 4 years. Upon her entering high school she came to us and asked to play cello. We found a private teacher, purchase a cello, and within 6 months she was first chair in the youth orchestra and stayed there until graduation. She now loves music and loves to play. (What is even more astounding is that within a few months of her graduation she went deaf in one ear and partially deaf in the other, she plays my 'feel' now, but still plays.)

Don't push your son and perhaps he'll develop a want of art later, if not it's now big deal. Art is an enjoyment not a necessity.

lakshmi
04-18-2011, 03:49 AM
Don't get me wrong, I am all about forcing someone to try something. Lol... but, after he's already taken the class. Its seems that he'd have a pretty good idea about whether or not he likes it. I mean it ain't like he is 4 or 5 and has NEVER done it.

My vote: no forcing, but could find another more active or messy art class. or just not worry about. A little art goes a long way for some people. I love art, so I try to get them do that sort of stuff as often as possible.

MrsLOLcat
04-18-2011, 10:37 AM
I wouldn't force the issue. Art may be something he gets into later in life or not at all. I didn't have a single art class from the age of 11 on up, and I haven't been any worse for it (at least in my opinion). Kids in public or private schools often get to choose their electives starting at about the middle school level, and I opted out of art as soon as I could. I enjoy and appreciate art now and can discuss it fairly intelligently despite the lack of formal instruction, but I never cared for it as a child/teen. I would have him finish out this term, of course, but if he's already taken 12 weeks of the class and doesn't care for it - but still goes and doesn't disrupt the class - he's respectfully offering his opinion, and I wouldn't make him do any more. Just my two cents. :)

wife&mommy
04-18-2011, 04:37 PM
I wouldn't force it, either.

Kylie
04-18-2011, 06:05 PM
This is a tough one because I don't personally feel that 'The Arts' should be extra curricular. There are so many studies showing how vitally important this area is. In fact a dear friend has recently started a teaching degree and she's been informing me that at least at the University level they are now including The Arts as equal to the other subjects. How that flows down to the schools I really don't know, but only time will tell I suppose.

So in saying that, he's tried it, I wouldn't force. I would encourage as much as I could but I wouldn't make him go. That would probably just turn him off art altogether. There are many other ways to incorporate 'the arts' into his schedule too.

lakshmi
04-19-2011, 02:30 AM
You could always set it up that he has to go with you and hang around during the time of the class, so that maybe he'd just want to take it anyway? And I agree with Kylie, that the arts, aren't really extra, that even kids who "don't like" art can get some benefit out of it all.

Busygoddess
04-19-2011, 06:19 AM
I personally feel that The Arts should be reuired to some extent (my kids have to take some form of art & music up through at least 2 years of high shcool level). So, if it was my child saying he didn't want to do that art class again, I would not force him to take that class, but would find some other art class for him to do. Maybe he just doesn't like the type of art being done in that class. Maybe he would prefer photography, working with clay (pottery or sculpting), doing origami, making sculptures out of found objects, etc. Could you look around and see if there is another art class he could try? There's also the option of an Art History & Appreciation class. We spend the early years introducing them to different types of art & working with different media. Then, we have them do Art History & Appreciation for their 2 years of high school level Art. That way, they have the opportunity to try many different things & see if any of them spark an interest (as a hobby or a career).

dbmamaz
04-19-2011, 11:07 AM
See, i'm cringing at this thread . . . i would have LOVED to not have had to take art. but i did take music lessons and join the choir. I tried doing art w my boys last year, and _I_ hated it so much, i didnt continue. I havent found anywhere that seems to work for them to take art classes - plus, dh would probably bristle at the idea of spending money on classes they werent asking for that werent practical. I cant help but think that art should be something they are exposed to but not forced . . . why would you want to make art be a required class if they hate it - its most likely to only make them hate it more, isnt it? I thought art should be creative expression . . . which cannot be forced?

Busygoddess
04-19-2011, 11:43 AM
See, i'm cringing at this thread . . . i would have LOVED to not have had to take art. but i did take music lessons and join the choir. I tried doing art w my boys last year, and _I_ hated it so much, i didnt continue. I havent found anywhere that seems to work for them to take art classes - plus, dh would probably bristle at the idea of spending money on classes they werent asking for that werent practical. I cant help but think that art should be something they are exposed to but not forced . . . why would you want to make art be a required class if they hate it - its most likely to only make them hate it more, isnt it? I thought art should be creative expression . . . which cannot be forced?

Exposure to the finished product and exposure to the process are two different things. Looking at a painting is not the same as actually painting. Looking at a photograph is far from learning to take good pictures. Which is why I said that Art, in our early grades, consists of them trying out different types of art & media. If I had never introduced my daughter to calligraphy, mosaics, or origami, she'd have no idea how much she enjoys doing them. That's also why I suggested finding a different Art class for him. Just because he doesn't like what is being done in THAT class, that doesn't mean that he will not like ANY Art class. How are they going to find out if they have any interest in something, if they never try it out? Besides, even doing something like an Art History & Appreciation class can spark interest in things they didn't see as art before, like architecture.

I'm simply not the kind of person that will allow my kids to tell me that they don't like something when they have no experience on which to base that assertion. Would you accept it if your son told you that he hates all vegetables, just because he didn't like broccoli? It's the same concept. If they haven't tried every type of art, how would they know they don't like any of them? I, personally, feel that Art is part of a well-rounded education. Since I want my kids to get a well-rounded education, and I feel that includes Art, I require my kids to have Art as a subject for most of their school years.

Cheryl
04-19-2011, 11:46 AM
ugh. I think you all are divided equally! lol! oh, what to do, what to do............

dbmamaz
04-19-2011, 12:37 PM
Luckily, I only have to please my husband in my choices lol! He told me he hated literature but loved reading, and thinks that forcing literature on kids who hate it is counterproductive. My family is full of extremely pig-headed people who WILL bit thier nose off to spite their faces, so battle of wills are simply not productive. We focus on education which is practical and which sparks peoples interests, and dropping things when they dont seem to fit in to those categories.

Ariadne
04-21-2011, 10:02 PM
I'd bribe him to go. I think art is very important, and although I believe kids know themselves well, their view of the big picture isn't developed yet.

My daughter has tried to get out of karate and I won't let her. I keep finding creative ways to keep her there and it's working. I would do the same in a heartbeat if it were art and one of my sons.

ClassicalLearning
04-26-2011, 12:11 PM
I'd probably try to find out why he doesn't like it and see if you can make adjustments. Talk to the teacher, it might only take a little tweak and he'll enjoy it. My boy hates being crafty and associates ART with crafts so he hates "art" but if you teach about the art periods and don't call it art he loves it. I personally would want him to learn Art history as it has an effect on the would but wouldn't force him to be "creative" when he doesn't want to be. Kids are creative all the time without any formal class. A boy can make a piece or art painting a "camouflage" background for pictures, or some warrior picture for his room, or other boy oriented thing. They don't need to sit around doing crafts or painting flowers or some other "girl" thing as my son would call it.