PDA

View Full Version : Hello from British Columbia, Canada!

carollois
04-15-2010, 04:31 PM
Hello,
My name is Carol, and I have three children, ages 13, 11 & 7. My seven year old is currently in public school, something that I thought I would never consider, but she has the highest social needs of anyone whom I have ever met and for now, school is helping with that. My two oldest are boys and have always homeschooled and never want to go to public school. We enjoy a pretty unstructured day and while we do use curriculum, we are very relaxed about it. We have homeschooled in two countries and two provinces and we are loving homeschooling here in BC.
I am looking forward to talking with other secular homeschoolers here and maybe even finding others from the lower mainland of BC. :)

Shoe
04-16-2010, 07:57 AM
Hi Carol and welcome to the site.

I've seen a few Canadians on this site (and I grew up in Ontario, now living in New Hampshire), like David from Saskatchewan, and a few Americans from the Pacific Northwest, but I haven't noticed any others from BC yet (though I don't know everyone here).

I've found this a helpful, friendly and very useful forum. I've got two kids-13 year old son (currently home educated) and 11 year old daughter (also named Carol and who will finish out the year in public school, but join us at home next year). I'd be interested to hear what resources/curricular materials you use for Canadian history?

Cheers.

camaro
04-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Welcome, Carol! It's great the meet another Canadian! If you want, you can join the Canadian group in the group section. We need somebody to spark the conversation in there! Anyway, I do recall seeing a couple of other homeschooling moms from BC a while ago. Hopefully they'll pop up to say hi to you, too. I'd be interested in hearing about your homeschooling travels, too!

Snoopy
04-16-2010, 02:42 PM
Welcome! In what other country have you homeschooled?

carollois
04-16-2010, 03:26 PM
We haven't touched on Canadian history much yet, we have mostly been using Story of the World for our World History and we ar still back too far for Canadian stuff yet. ;) We do Canadian geography and we go to museums and that sort of thing to learn about Canada. I am thinking in the next year or so I should add in some Canadian history but I admit that I was scarred by it in high school when all we learned about for three years was the fur trade. :P

Carol

Hi Carol and welcome to the site.

I've seen a few Canadians on this site (and I grew up in Ontario, now living in New Hampshire), like David from Saskatchewan, and a few Americans from the Pacific Northwest, but I haven't noticed any others from BC yet (though I don't know everyone here).

I've found this a helpful, friendly and very useful forum. I've got two kids-13 year old son (currently home educated) and 11 year old daughter (also named Carol and who will finish out the year in public school, but join us at home next year). I'd be interested to hear what resources/curricular materials you use for Canadian history?

Cheers.

carollois
04-16-2010, 03:29 PM
Welcome! In what other country have you homeschooled?

We lived in the U.S., in Minneapolis, for six years and that is where our homeschooling journey began. My husband and I are both Canadian, but our sons are dual citizens, being born in the states. :)

Carol

camaro
04-16-2010, 10:20 PM
Ah yes, the stuff of nightmares! Hudson Bay Company! Voyageurs! Beavers! Oh, the horror!

But for a good selection on curriculum about Canada visit Northwoods Press (http://www.donnaward.net).

Topsy
04-17-2010, 09:53 AM
Welcome, Carol!! So glad you found us, and thanks for jumping right in and introducing yourself. Looking forward to finding out even more about you and your family, and how you homeschool...

We're a pretty fun crew to hang out with, so stop in often, okay?? ;)

Topsy