PDA

View Full Version : ipad taught my kid something!

Dutchbabiesx2
04-14-2011, 07:47 PM
ok, I should not be too surprised, but I limit how much they can play and what they can play. But after some time my son, 7 yo, came down and wrote out all the roman numerals for me. All on his own . . .he was proud of himself!
He had been exposed to them, but it seems that after playing a game he made a connection, and there it will stay!

Anyone else have something educational on their hand held electronics?

Oh- we always have physics based games on the ipad, not sure it they learn something or not though.

MrsLOLcat
04-14-2011, 09:21 PM
We *love* Rocket Math, Stack the States and Stack the Countries. They're all by the same developer. DS just loves them and never pays attention to the fact that they're educational.

What was your son using to learn Roman numerals? DH sometimes lets DS use his iPad, and I'm sure I could talk him into downloading one more app for his kids' sake ;)

Pilgrim
04-14-2011, 10:07 PM
That's great. DD plays Gearz and Math Bingo while DS does a few letter and number games. He is especially learning quite a bit on the Itouch.

Satori
04-15-2011, 12:06 PM
We're also fans of the guy who wrote Stack the States/Countries and Rocket Math.

I don't have my iPad here, but my daughter is really into geography right now and loves any geography app. I'll come back to list more favorites once I have my iPad nearby.

Elizabeth
04-18-2011, 09:49 PM
I broke down and just ordered (today!) a 1st gen iPad on sale via aafes.com (they have deals on refurb on apple.com). I am so excited!! I am tracking down some decent apps. We already use Khan academy and cnn student news podcast. I think a project we will work on is creating our own podcasts. I use touch ipod and already have the following: Brain tutor, Basic Spanish for Dummies, Constitution, Brainpop, Oregon Trail, Everyday Mathematics, Science Glossary and Netflix (we have a subscription).

Pilgrim
04-26-2011, 11:51 PM
DD started Stack the States today and had fun with it. I'm helping her with most questions, but she likes earning the states and seeing her map fill up.