PDA

View Full Version : Do you have the new German grocers near you? Aldi?

Museling
04-15-2010, 09:16 AM
I wanted to post some major raves about this new place that's cropped up around here. The store is called Aldi and they are a German based low-cost grocery store. I recently started shopping there and I have saved so much! I went there last night for my first buy a little of everything shopping trip and I spent an average of 1.91 per item -this included frozen sirloin steaks, chicken nuggets, gellato. Of those items, I've heard very good reviews and tried the gellato last night and it's is as good as HEB's Central Market (high end grocer- their gellato is about 6.99/pt) and it was only 3.99/pt!

The pro's:

almost everything is as cheap or cheaper than the regular savon/tom thumb/kroger/albertson's type grocery stores -in some instances too they are cheaper than Walmart.

If you've ever been to a commissary, you know how easy it is to get in and get out -no running around the huge bakery/floral/starbucks to get a loaf of bread and then walk across the entire store to get a gallon of milk.

They have a section of items that circulate through -right now at ours they have outdoor furniture/toys.

The con's:

There is typically only one item of their brand stuff and their flavors of things tend to not have a long list either. For example: half and half for coffee: they have the fully leaded half and half and vanilla fat free half and half. So if you're wanting a half fat half and half, you're going to have to settle or go somewhere else.

The produce, at least at my two Aldi's, has been hit or miss. Bag of onions yielded two that were beginning to rot and I got a package of bell peppers that had some mold when I opened it up. (forgot another pro though -their frozen veg steamers are DELISH!)

I'm a meat snob, fully admitted, and I don't like to buy meats, especially ground beef that is below select grade. All of their fresh beef so far has been just "USDA Inspected" which is for the quality that is above meats made for animal consumption and Select. (but they did have Choice steaks frozen that I have read a lot of good reviews on, and their chicken is Grade A and good as well)

The final thing that I like about them is that they are about is definitely waste control -they allow customers to use the boxes the items are shipped in, encourage you to bring your own bags. The checkers get to sit down while they check you out so it's a nice little break from standing all day. They stock while the store is open, you have to put down a quarter to get a cart (you get it back when you return it), and you pay for plastic/paper bags if you do use theirs which keeps the costs down across the board.

Here is their website www.aldi.com to see if there is a store around you -if you haven't checked them out, definitely suggest you do!

Snoopy
04-15-2010, 09:31 AM
Hey Denise, I monitor a lot of frugal living/couponing sites and I had been hearing about Aldi's for years and was really wishing they would open one here. Aldi did come to Central Florida last year and opened a few stores but alas not anywhere near me (I'm in the boonies). However, we do have a Save-A-Lot and I try to do a lot of my shopping there. Same concept as Aldi's but they don't do the furniture, clothing, etc. It's mostly foods, mostly generic/store brand with some national brands. They're consistently cheaper, and I can run in and out without buying all the extras that I would buy at my favorite grocery store, Publix. They don't bag your groceries, just put them back in the cart and you bag them yourself (the way we do it in Europe, I never understood the concept of someone - usually a senior citizen -- bagging my groceries for me while I just stand there and then offering to push my cart for me when I'm more than capable of pushing it myself -- didn't I just push it around the store?!? but I digress....) with the bags you brought or you can buy their bags. My favorite grocery store though, is Publix. I love Publix! With careful perusing of the sales ads and the use of coupons and rebates, I save a ton of money at Publix. But even with coupons and BOGO deals, I spend too much because I buy stuff that I really don't need and a lot of packaged food. Anyway, this is a good site (http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/aldis/) to monitor Aldi's deals, sales, etc.

Museling
04-15-2010, 09:47 AM
What I don't like about the recent trend here is that the major grocers aren't hiring as many baggers but they don't modify the checkout counters so that customers or even the checkers can bag for you so it creates long lines. They also don't train them like they use to. It's frustrating to watch them put my steaks with my dish soap and, granted it's been my fault, but I've left a bag of bottled water on the counter to discover the next day that they put two bags of frozen veggies with it that are now bad. Or the worst is when they put your bag of cans on top of your tomatoes! My first job was as a bagger and they taught us to put like items together, heavy stuff on the bottom.

Thanks for sending me that site! That will definitely help. I use to be big about grabbing the ads and going to Walmart, but I've just never been a big fan of the place and end up going to each individual store.

reversemigration
04-15-2010, 10:11 AM
What I don't like about the recent trend here is that the major grocers aren't hiring as many baggers but they don't modify the checkout counters so that customers or even the checkers can bag for you so it creates long lines. They also don't train them like they use to. It's frustrating to watch them put my steaks with my dish soap and, granted it's been my fault, but I've left a bag of bottled water on the counter to discover the next day that they put two bags of frozen veggies with it that are now bad. Or the worst is when they put your bag of cans on top of your tomatoes! My first job was as a bagger and they taught us to put like items together, heavy stuff on the bottom.

I sort of take it for granted that they won't know how to bag the groceries, so I'll set the heavy stuff together at the front of the conveyor belt, followed by the lighter stuff/eggs last...that way they tend to pack the heavier stuff together and at the bottom.

We have an Aldi's here, but I've yet to go. My wife says she enjoyed going there once she got used to the differences.

Snoopy
04-15-2010, 10:42 AM
I do the same as Ben and load the belt in the order that I want them to bag my items. However the baggers end up doing whatever they want anyway, which is why I would much rather bag my own groceries. I always do that if a bagger isn't readily available when the cashier starts checking me out and I send them away when they do show up. It's not a very popular behavior, judging by the dirty looks that I get, but all I care about is getting out of the store quickly at that point. My 16 year-old is looking for a job at Publix and Winn Dixie right now and if he gets one, I KNOW that he'll hide from me when I come in the store because he won't want to deal with me, lol.

ginnyjf
04-15-2010, 11:42 AM
Oh, I love Aldi's! We've had one in our town for fifteen years and I can't bring myself to shop anywhere else. They are constantly adding new items and they are a parent company of Trader Joes, so they carry a lot of specialty items without the specialty cost. I did a little happy dance in the store last week when I saw they were carrying their own version of rosemary and olive oil Triscuits, only at $1.45 a box, and the pouches of lemon-pepper tuna that I love. I need to go today as a matter of fact.

dbmamaz
04-15-2010, 08:56 PM
a freind of mine in dallas just posted on fb that he shopped at aldis. He said it was like shopping at krogers except everything was kroger brand.

I also sort my groceries by weight. I used to bag myself, but i've gotten out of the habit. My regular store was a local chain that had baggers who took your groceries to your car, and they usually had enough of them. The chain got bought out, tho, and monday the store closest to me opens up as a new store .. . Martins, owned by Giants. i'm afraid i'll end up doing even more shopping at Whole Paycheck now.

camaro
04-15-2010, 09:46 PM
I've taken to going to places that might cost a little more just to get better checkout service. There's a couple of places here that at times can take longer to get through a checkout line than it took to get my items. There might be two lines open with 6-10 customers in each line and they won't open another one. But the other places that might cost a little more might have four or five lines open and will open another if the lineups reach maybe 4 or 5. And they'll bag your groceries for you. The right way even! And although I haven't been there lately, there's a place that supposedly is now entirely self-checkout. If that's the case I won't set foot in there again, which will be no great loss because the joke around here is that the sale flyer is only showing what they won't have in stock this week.

Topsy
04-17-2010, 10:02 AM
Oh, we are OBSESSED with Aldi!! I can get about 75% of my groceries there, and we save SO much money. With two teenage boys, the grocery bill has become ATROCIOUS, so this is an absolute life-saver. Funny thing, too, is that many times their "generic" items taste quite a bit better than the brand name stuff - - everything else is at least equal quality. There are several items that my family insists on ONLY having Aldi's brand. :) I prefer bagging my own groceries anyway, and I always use cloth bags, so this is perfect for me. And like Ginny said, their weekly special items are SO awesome! My only beef at all is that I prefer to shop local stores...hate that my money is headed out of state when I shop there. And we DO have one local chain, so I try to buy everything I can't get at Aldi there.